saturn pcv question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so it was the 80's, 90's Cadillac's that had the vacuum pump that you could use as an evac pump. I'd try and score one from a wreckers and see if it helps!

you can also get setups for v-8's ive seen a few dry sump or not with a belt driven and electric vacuum pump. The ones i saw had rings that would let gasses by without the pump so they have minimal drag on the cylinder walls. They didnt do it for oil consumption they did it for power. obviously benneficial HP gains. Also other chevs had air shocks and the pumps to go with it not many but some. I have noticed alot of the caddy's you mention with them in the JY's.

Originally Posted By: abycat
you can also get setups for v-8's ive seen a few dry sump or not with a belt driven and electric vacuum pump. The ones i saw had rings that would let gasses by without the pump so they have minimal drag on the cylinder walls. They didnt do it for oil consumption they did it for power. obviously benneficial HP gains. Also other chevs had air shocks and the pumps to go with it not many but some. I have noticed alot of the caddy's you mention with them in the JY's.

Precisely my point in my earlier post on this topic in this thread. An evac pump is meant to negatively pressurize the crankcase and free up HP, but it does this by increasing ring seal as well, since the crankcase vacuum draws the rings out toward the cylinder walls.

I was thinking that in the case of the OP's Saturn, that this function (vacuum in the crankcase) would potentially work to pull-out the oil control rings against the cylinder walls and make them at least partially functional again.

It is only a theory, but I figure at this point, why the heck not? LOL!

Overk1ll please explain vacuum pumps I know nothing about them at all. Sounds interesting
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Which is why chevyboy and consumption prone SL2 owners should keep it below 3,000 RPMs forever.
thumbsup2.gif

No way, WOT all the time for a while, then bam, consumption is all but stopped (or almost) :p

So sl Craig are you saying I should FLOOOOR IT?!?!?!? because I can do that
smile.gif
I noticed highway trips at 70 MPH eats oil . Almost twice as fast

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
So sl Craig are you saying I should FLOOOOR IT?!?!?!? because I can do that
smile.gif
I noticed highway trips at 70 MPH eats oil . Almost twice as fast

Well, what he's saying is WOT as much as possible. Free, but costs initial gas and oil consumption. Same as out of pocket for good oil, but cheaper.
thumbsup2.gif

You get what you pay for.
grin2.gif

Believe me if flooring it would have helped me it would have by now.
smile.gif
I drive that little car like a go cart. I enjoy it really LOL

Overk1ll the link just took me back to this thread LOL

I know
wink.gif

To a post I made about how an evac system works.

Can you show me a picture I've never seen one . I understand negative pressure ect. But I've never seen ine

A picture of what? An evac pump or? The setups are all different depending on what it is for, what kind of setup it is (home rigged or store bought purpose-built) and the budget for building it.

On an engine as small as yours, something as small as the electric caddy pump hooked up to your crankcase should provide enough suction to make a difference. Whether that difference is enough to affect your oil consumption or not, well, that's the test.

EDIT:

This is the "inexpensive" evac setup. It is also illegal for street use (uses the exhaust). It uses the scavenging of the exhaust (ports in the headers) to draw the gasses out of the crankcase and create vacuum.

Nates85hp750.jpg

(oh no, an evil Ford engine!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back