PureOne pl14610 Ripped opened! 7100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first Pure One today. It seems very nice.

However, it has the yellow paint overspray you guys talk about, not too much.

Is it risky to use it with the paint overspray?

^As long as it's not past the rubber gasket and on the inside of the filter itself, I don't see ANY issues with a slight over spray. Define it.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^As long as it's not past the rubber gasket and on the inside of the filter itself, I don't see ANY issues with a slight over spray. Define it.

Well, on mine it's past the rubber gasket. There actually isn't much on the rubber gasket.

Mine is on the metal around the holes that let the oil into the filter. You have to hold it at an angle under the right light, and then you see the yellow dust.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

Well, on mine it's past the rubber gasket. There actually isn't much on the rubber gasket.

Mine is on the metal around the holes that let the oil into the filter. You have to hold it at an angle under the right light, and then you see the yellow dust.

Interesting, well that sucks. I don't know at what temp but I'm sure it will eventually simply get filters and then suspended by the oil. To what potentially harmful effect? I wouldn't think much of any real existence with oils with good base and ability to keep any crud suspended, it'll probably liquidate and boil off faster than the oil anyway(if it is water based paint and not oil based especially).

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
anyone know where those carbon pieces i found in the media came from?

Likely ring-land area.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

I've ran into this on PureOnes. Simple fix. Remove the gasket from the base. Get some Q-tips and carb cleaner. Spray the Q-tip (NOT THE FILTER) with carb cleaner, then wipe off all the over spray with the Q-tip. Repeat as needed. The carb cleaner cuts it easily. Reinstall gasket ... done. Takes about 5 min tops.

Use same filter for my Honda and Acura, good to see it's fine. You know in the manual, it actually specifically say change filter every 2 oil change. Although I won't do it, but definitely curious if it's doable.

Quote:
lemonade - Which manual? ....

Before the MM system, Honda owners manuals used to recommend/show in the maintenance chart, an oil filter change every other OCI.

Now with MM, at least my Accord here is an A or B dash code. A means oil change only, B means oil and filter change and mine alternates each time. I'm using a BD+ this time for two OCI's this time, just happened to get an A. But, I have always changed the filter each time despite Honda's recommendation.

Very little cost benefit in not changing it.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
lemonade - Which manual? I'll have to check mine when I get home!

As mentioned above, I mean the owner's manual.
If you follow everything to the book, it would be 1 filter change for every 2 oil change, I'm thinking if Honda even suggest doing this, we are probably overkill by using a long drain filter for 1 oil change assuming you follow OLM.

Lemonade, thanks for pointing that out. My filter will go unchanged for the last few months before going back to Acura. If it doesn't ask to be changed and a P1 is run, I don't see much of a reason to do it each time on a leased vehicle.

Many different filters were noted on this thread. Does anyone know the efficiencies of these filters, as the PL14610 is lower than the 99% @ 20 P1 standard(i.e. do they all get downrated).
Bosch 3323-
L14610
PL14610
PSL14610

& Any other filters that can substitute in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back