2010 Mazda 3 2.0 What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil and OCI should I run in a 2010 Mazda 3 2.0. It has 20k miles on it and is driven almost all short trips. Its beaten on pretty hard and probably before the engine has time to warm up. All of that what 5w20 oil would be good for this DD.

Last edited:
Shorter OCI's will be this cars friend. With this, I wouldn't spend the extra dime for synthetic, but stick to a stout conventional, such as the PYB you're running in your 'stang. I'm thinking 3-4,000 miles or every (6) months, with a Purolator Classic. That's a $20 oil change.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just didn't know if you guys were going to try and talk into a longer OCI

Last edited:
I'm running FS5w30 in my wife 08 3i 2.0 with 7500k mile oci's and FL400s filters. It just turned 110K miles and the cam looks new thru the fill hole.
I may switch because I forgot to pick up a case of it at BJ'S with the 9.00 of coupon and its to pricey now.

May switch to Supertech 5w20 with 20% mix of Supertech 15w40. My economix will give me a very thin 30wight with a slighty boosted add pack for 2.50ish quart. I running a 50/50 mix in some equipment already.

I have the 2007 mazda 3 2.0. I've used many oils, mobil 1, motorcraft, kendall and PP. Out of all the oils i have used the best for me has been Kendall syn blend. Its inexpensive where i get it and a great sleeper oil.

This is all good information that I value as well. My daughter has an '06 Mazda3 w/2.0L(88K miles). I like 5W30 better than any 5W20 that I have used thus far, simply for the smooth(er)/quiet(er) operation and the MPG is the same with either grade. I have my favorite oil(s) for this particular engine(2.0L).

Believe it or not, I like the PEAK 5W30, GTX and QSGB best compared to others I have tried such as Havoline DS(always one of my favorits) but, not in this engine. Nor do I care for VWB or even PP. This is all based on the "seat of the pants" ONLY!

This car is used as a DD and nothing else. It's driven responsibly with very little aggression. I'm sure that syn oils would be a favorite in the engine if the car was drive harder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I like 5W30 better than any 5W20 that I have used thus far, simply for the smooth(er)/quiet(er) operation and the MPG is the same with either grade. I have my favorite oil(s) for this particular engine(2.0L).

used as a DD and nothing else. It's driven responsibly with very little aggression. I'm sure that syn oils would be a favorite in the engine if the car was drive harder.

The smoother/quieter is a subjective assessment which many including myself have never experienced in fact the opposite is my experience running heavier oil.
What is fact is the lower fuel economy you get with the heavier 5W-30 oil; the 1-2% savings with a 20wt is just too small accurately measure and therefore for most to notice.
Since the vehicle is driven conservatively that's all the more reason to run a 20wt oil.

But hey, to each their own.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I like 5W30 better than any 5W20 that I have used thus far, simply for the smooth(er)/quiet(er) operation and the MPG is the same with either grade. I have my favorite oil(s) for this particular engine(2.0L).

used as a DD and nothing else. It's driven responsibly with very little aggression. I'm sure that syn oils would be a favorite in the engine if the car was drive harder.

The smoother/quieter is a subjective assessment which many including myself have never experienced in fact the opposite is my experience running heavier oil.
What is fact is the lower fuel economy you get with the heavier 5W-30 oil; the 1-2% savings with a 20wt is just too small accurately measure and therefore for most to notice.
Since the vehicle is driven conservatively that's all the more reason to run a 20wt oil.

But hey, to each their own.

Well, when running 5W20 oils (in which I still have a stash of BTW for this Mazda3), there is a noticable coursness(SOP) in the engine and too, believe me when I tell 'ya, there is very, very often, a MPG drop although very small, it is consistant over the OCI.

And the best that I can say for the 5W20 is that there is no change in MPG and trust me when I say; the 5W20 is never better in terms of MPG than the 5W30, in which I thought there would be in this engine(2.0L)!

With 5W20, I do notice some MPG improvements(small) in my other vehicle but, they too are noisier in their operation. Not loud mind you, just more audiable!

Keep in mind too, that I am speaking, brand for brand of all the motor oils that I have tried. Hav DS, GTX, VWB etc; 5W20 vs. 5W30. Or even jumping around from brand and weight. I have enough MPG data to substantiate this on all of our vehicles.

Also, I notice MPG differences between brands of gas which could be the inacuracies in the pumps(which I doubt, due to them being monitored on a regular basis by an outside agency).

But, as you mentioned, to each his own!

Last edited:
What one can measure personally is immaterial to me since there are so many variables that affect fuel economy and most have more of an effect than the oil choice.

Having said that, when it comes to motor oil, fuel economy correlates with three factors, HTHSV, VI and DI package including the oil's chemistry. Since most OTC oils have similar DI pac's and VIs, the single biggest factor affecting fuel economy is the HTHSV rating of the oil and that is the main difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 motor oil.

So accept it as a given that a 20wt oil provides better fuel economy than a 5W-30 and also accept the premise that the difference will likely be too small to personally measure with any sort of accuracy.

Also, I notice MPG differences between brands of gas which could be the inaccuracies in the pumps(which I doubt, due to them being monitored on a regular basis by an outside agency)

You'll always get different MPG between tanks due to the different batches of fuel. The octane can vary a couple of points.
I fill up at the same station & get different distances from each tank doing the same trek to work.

My 2.5L (similar to the 2.0) has only seen Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic. However, I just bought 2 cases of synthetic Kendall 0w20 because it was a bargain.

UOAs tend to show these motors are pretty easy on any oil. I'd follow the advice of others and use a 5w20 and change it by the book (which I believe is every 3 months or 5,000 miles in the Mazda manual for severe driving, 6 months or 7500 miles for normal driving).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back