NASCAR secret fines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nascar's success as of late has been to present the sport as a clean, professional, family oriented sport. It's anything but that, and always has been. The drivers are the most fowl mouthed little cry babies I've ever seen. Carl Edwards getting women to show their breasts when he's on the parade lap? Ya, real classy. Kurt Busch's antics of late? If he was an NBA player he'd be all over the media getting dissed and so would Nascar itself.

That's why Nascar keeps such a tight ship; they don't want most of the general public who turn in to Nascar races from time to time (with their family watching) but don't know the real side stories of what goes on, from learning them.

Last edited:
Nascar doesn't want their guys turning into hoods like NBA players and losing the rich (white) backers who buy season tickets for luxury box seats.

Sorry to be blunt.

Seems like a good move to make any fines public. The fans deserve as much knowledge as possible about what is going on. Without them there would be no NASCAR for the owners, drivers, crews, etc. to participate in.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Seems like a good move to make any fines public. The fans deserve as much knowledge as possible about what is going on. Without them there would be no NASCAR for the owners, drivers, crews, etc. to participate in.

I agree - but wonder how the practice of the secret fines started?? It sounds like it has been going on a long time.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Carl Edwards getting women to show their breasts when he's on the parade lap? Ya, real classy.

First I'd heard that, he's my new hero!!!

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Carl Edwards getting women to show their breasts when he's on the parade lap? Ya, real classy.

First I'd heard that, he's my new hero!!!

Seriously, good for him, although I would have expected Smoke to do it.

If you have ever been to a Cup race, especially the infield campgrounds at night, you know NASCAR is not a family sport.

There are two kinds of racers: Cheaters and Losers.

Secret fines have always been part of the sport.
Read some history about Smokey Yunick vs. NASCAR inspectors. Back then, they didn't call it cheating. They called it "getting competitive".

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Read some history about Smokey Yunick vs. NASCAR inspectors. Back then, they didn't call it cheating. They called it "getting competitive".

Smokey had some class about him, and considered chassis tubes full of water and wooden blocks in the suspension that fell out in warm up to be poor form.

His statement that he was building the cars that the rules said he could build, when he should have been building the cars that the rules didn't say couldn't be built validated that.

It's when a new rule can be attributed to a particular event/car, that you can be sure that the sanctioning body didn't consider it cheating outright, but wanted to stop it in it's tracks.

One of my fave engineers is Larry Perkins (Oz)...Ford got to bring in NASCAR blocks to Oz V-8s, Holden had no NASCAR, but the stock Holden V-8 was OK competing against the Windsor's.

Holden got the chev motors, and the home grown V-8 was history on the street, as there was no reason to keep running them on the street when the LS could be imported.

LArry built the ultimate hoorah for the Holden, running it against the Chev/Ford/NASCAR stuff.

Slide throttle bodies, that swirled the mixture in at part throttle, exhaust gaskets that incorporated plates to fill in the the bottom of the port an improve velocity. Made his own brakes that survived the 1,000km without a pad change.

All the other team whined foul, and he was accepted as a legit victory.

Then they changed the rulebook, nulifying all of the advances on that car.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A_Harman said:
Larry built the ultimate hoorah for the Holden, running it against the Chev/Ford/NASCAR stuff.

Slide throttle bodies, that swirled the mixture in at part throttle, exhaust gaskets that incorporated plates to fill in the the bottom of the port an improve velocity. Made his own brakes that survived the 1,000km without a pad change.

All the other team whined foul, and he was accepted as a legit victory.

Then they changed the rulebook, nulifying all of the advances on that car.

What was Larry's engine based on, an SB1/SB2/RO7 NASCAR longblock, or something else??

Oz holden's own small block V-8 introduced in the late 1960s, went through multiple revisions, then (predicably) died,even in roadtrim, when the V-8 racers were allowed to run NASCAR components.

Was available in 253ci (3.625"bore,3.042" stroke), 308 (4" bore, 3.042" stroke),later dropped to 304 to come in under 5L for racing.

basic architecture had #1 cylinder leading (gave more clearance for RHD steering boxes), rear distributor location, buick style timing cover with WaterPump mount and cooling passages, with oil pump mounted on side of block like a Mopar. Hydraulic lifters, paired bridge mounted rockers.

Can be stroked to 380+ C.I. by a good bulder.

In the 70s, were good for 450hp in racing trim.

With the Walkinshaw Commodore, they went to a staggered port arrangement on the 304, which allowed the afforementioned slide throttle bodies.

Got a 253 in bits in the shed, might take some pics.

Here are some of the local engines (discount the Buick and the Chev) that you might like to see.

http://www.store.tediousautomotive.com/categories/Engines-%26-Components/Complete-Motors-/Holden/

If there's interest, I might post a thread on some of the Aussie engines (more than a few, I've owned.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back