Jeep 2012 WK2 CRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my car in for the 1000km check (its actually done 2500km). This morning I decided to check my oil, the level is right on the MIN mark. So firstly I don't think they checked this even though its stated on the receipt.

I'll have to ask them what they use as this will allow me to top-up. Otherwise I really have no choice but to change the oil and filter soon.

Q: Although not recommended can oils be mixed if they meet the same specification.

I'd prefer to change completely but the only one I can get readily is "Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30":

http://www.oilsandstuff.com/sites/default/files/Helix Ultra Extra 5w-30 TDS.pdf

Requirement in manual is:

"that meet the requirements of Chrysler Material
Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to
Mercedes Benz MB 229.31 or MB 229.51 and
ACEA C3"

It isn't clear to me whether this oil is "Approved" for all those as the datasheet outlines it exceeds the requirements. Just don't want a warranty issue down track...

thoughts?

thanks

I cant easily get Mobil oil, if I could the only only that mentions "MS-11106" is:

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

Last edited:
You can go to the Benz dealer and get their ESP Formula M 5/40 which is 229.5. About 8.50 a quart. I also think some of the the heavy duty 15/40s Rotella or Valvoline super blue, are 229.3 approved.

Manual also states
"SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash Engine Oil is
recommended for all operating temperatures."

So question is any reason why I cant or shouldn't use the shell product?

you should be fine w/ that oil. the data sheet says it exceeds those standards, which to my brain reads as " better than" that standard.

beyond that, call/email your dealer, see what oil they recommend. (They would also be more familiar w/ what is available down under than most of us here, who are in N.America)

Any of the VW 507.00 approved oils would probably be fine too, like:

Total Ineo 504/507
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200
Mobil 1 ESP Formula
Castrol SLX Professional LL (the 507.00 one)

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Mobil 1 5W-30. Or 0W-30 AFE..

If you don't know, don't speculate. The car needs a low SAPS diesel oil, and the user is in Australia.

Originally Posted By: Audios
You can go to the Benz dealer and get their ESP Formula M 5/40 which is 229.5. About 8.50 a quart. I also think some of the the heavy duty 15/40s Rotella or Valvoline super blue, are 229.3 approved.

M1 ESP Forumula M is 229.51 approved.

But he is, again, in Australia, and you have no idea if that oil is available at MB dealers.

For the OP: a MB 229.51 or VW507 oil would serve you well. Not sure if API CJ-4 oil is low SAPS enough to satisfy the Chrysler requirement, so I'd stick with 229.51 or VW507.

Originally Posted By: zzkazu
Manual also states
"SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash Engine Oil is
recommended for all operating temperatures."

So question is any reason why I cant or shouldn't use the shell product?

use it. It mentions MS-11106, C3, 229.51 and VW 504/507 in the specifications of the oil.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Question I was trying to get to the bottom of is by mentioning in a data sheet does this equate to approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back