Any thoughts on STP fuel treatments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use Techron, usually every oil change. Techron Plus is the strongest version. GM uses a version of this as their in-tank additive. It is what Chevron uses in their gas.

It has been known to fix Corvette Gas gauge problems due to sulfur deposits on the fuel sensor. It has worked for my Corvette.

Use of a Top Tier Gas will also help. Go to:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Last edited:
I used it a long time ago, and never noticed any improvement.

Basically STP cleaner is just kerosene, small amount of Trimethylbenzene (this is already in gasoline), and a small amount of ( 1%) "proprietary ingredients".

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_273880.html

STP MSDS

If you use it as directed, it will not cause any harm.

If you abuse it and put in much more then directed, it may cause a temporary "SERVICE ENGINE" warning, since Kerosene will not burn the same as gasoline.

1999 Olds GLS

Been doing some research on Lucas fuel additives, heard allot of negative reviews on BITOG. Always heard good things about Chevron with Techron, and have used it in the past. Any thoughts on the Shell V power over the counter bottles?

Gotta say.....I had a bottle of "AUTOGARD" Gas Treatment rolling around my trunk.....you know, for that emergency "bad gas" treatment....Well....I decided to toss it in my tank this previous fill up......this fill up, I happened to go 289 miles on a tank of gas....usually I average about 250....and If I get any lower I'm kinda peeved....

Sooo.....I read the directions, it said it treats 15 to 21 gallons, well, my tank is only 14 gallons.....so I took an empty Lucas UCL bottle, believe it was 5.25 oz. bottle....filled that up with the AUTOGARD Gas Treatment, then poured the 5.25 oz. into my tank. And yes, this past tank, I went the furthest I have in quite a bit....

So yea....this fill up tonight, I poured in the rest of the bottle of AUTOGARD....had to been less than 4 oz....as the AUTOGARD bottle was only 10-12 oz. to begin with
smile.gif

And for the chemists among us....I was able to dig up the MSDS....turns out this is actually a WARREN OIL product...that they sell(sold....no longer do....they now sell a SMB Auto Chemicals" product now....) at Dollar Tree Stores...for you guessed it, $1..

Family Description: A complex combination of hydrocarbons from a petroleum fraction obtained by solvent crystallization plus additives.
Product | CAS Number | Wt%
Kerosene | 8008-20-6 | >95
Detergent/Inhibitor | Tradesecret |
Now...I don't know....call me crazy. But just seems odd, to get this big jump in distance.....hehe. I know there's many people who shot down the whole Kerosene and "STP Red Bottle" usage....due to the fame and success of detergents such as the PEA cleaners.....but I think we may be onto something here :p

And another one of those instances where "more is not necessarily better"....hehe. I basically halved the dosage, and seemed to have gotten an MPG gain....same route driven too...

BTW, something else that got me interested in this, Sunoco had a display on their shelf of overpriced gas additives....apparantly there's an STP MIR going around....no idea if it's only valid at SUNOCO (with a SUNOCO Gas station purchase) or if it'll work at Walmart, Advance, etc.....but it's Buy any STP Fuel Additive and get another of equal or lesser value free...up to $6.99...expires May 31 2012....

Last edited:
Use something with PEA in it, like Gumout with Regane, Chevron Techron, or Redline SI1.

In the winter I sometimes use HEET.

Last edited:
Like the others said...the only proven products out there are Techron, Gumout Regane and Redline Fuel System cleaner or SI. These products simply work.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Like the others said...the only proven products out there are Techron, Gumout Regane and Redline Fuel System cleaner or SI. These products simply work.

Quote:

Use something with PEA in it, like Gumout with Regane, Chevron Techron, or Redline SI1.

+1

There are several GUMOUTs with Regane at Walmart, the new concentrated bottles. Some are the normal (yellow) and some are the high-mileage (orange/amber) ones. Maybe the hi-mi one has more PEA?

The other stuff? Just leave it there..

Never was a fan of STP.....but the whole "Gas Treatment" line of additives, for the most part tends to be majority Kerosene/lighter fluid....

BUT, I did have an interesting situation.....and I thought I posted it on this forum somewhere.....I had the Warren Oil "AUTOGUARD Gas Treatment" I got from Dollar Tree for $1....I added half the bottle to a tank.....that tank of gas, I went 300 miles....

The next tank, added the other half, went ~290 on that tank as well....

Next fill, I used my regularly used, Marvel Mystery Oil.....and 280 miles......

Granted, I'm not filling up "consistently" at the same time....but it's always at the same station.....pump differs from time to time though as it's a popular SUNOCO station
wink.gif

Kind of thought it was strange, since I've heard people say the Kero will "lower the octane" of fuel.....well I always use 87 AKI (regular....).

Thought it was an interesting coincidence that the "Gas Treatment product" saw this extra mileage on the tank.....

And I don't feel I drove any differently.....unless it's something to do with the summer/winter fuel mix, being "changed out" now...?

FWIW, here's the MSDS for the "Fuel System Cleaner"
Code:
Petroleum naphtha, light aromatic 25 - 50% 2000 mg/m3

- PELb,d

CAS # 64742-95-6

Proprietary additive 25 - 50% Not applicable.

CAS # Proprietary

Kerosene 10 - 20% 200 mg/m3

- skin - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 8008-20-6

1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 10 - 20% 25 ppm - TLV-TWAa,e

CAS # 95-63-6

1,3,5-Trimethylbenzene 5 - 10% 25 ppm - TLV-TWAa,e

CAS # 108-67-8

Propylbenzene 5 - 10% Not applicable.

CAS # 103-65-1

1,2,3-Trimethylbenzene 1 - 5% 25 ppm - TLV-TWAa,e

CAS # 526-73-8

Xylene 1 - 5% 100 ppm - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 1330-20-7 100 ppm - PELb

150 ppm - TLV-STELc

Cumene 1 - 5% 100 ppm - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 98-82-8 100 ppm - skin - PELb

Naphthalene < 1% 10 ppm - skin - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 91-20-3 10 ppm - PELb

15 ppm - TLV-STELc

and the Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner
Code:
Kerosene 70 - 100% 200 mg/m3

- skin - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 8008-20-6

Petroleum naphtha, 3 - 7% 2000 mg/m3

- PELb,d

light aromatic

CAS # 64742-95-6

Proprietary additive 1 - 5% Not applicable.

CAS # Proprietary

1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 1 - 3% 25 ppm - TLV-TWAa,e

CAS # 95-63-6

1,3,5-Trimethylbenzene 0.5 - 1.5% 25 ppm - TLV-TWAa,e

CAS # 108-67-8

Naphthalene 0.5 - 1.5% 10 ppm - skin - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 91-20-3 10 ppm - PELb

15 ppm - TLV-STELc

Ethylbenzene < 0.2% 100 ppm - TLV-TWAa

CAS # 100-41-4 100 ppm - PELb

125 ppm - TLV-STELc

seems the only difference is no Xylene, or Cumene, which are very good detergents....:)

But the "Fuel System Cleaner" is the one they only want you using like once a year.....likely due to the high power cleaning agents it has....

but yea, I trust something in a metal can, like Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL, more than a little 5.25 oz plastic bottle :p

Last edited:
I always use either BG 44k, BG CF5, or Amsoil P.I. The 44k I use once a year if I do not use the CF5 or Amsoil on a regular oil change schedule.

"Does anyone have a MSDS of the CRC Guaranteed to pass emissions stuff?"

Turns out that is a GREAT question, SOHCman. I thought the stuff would be the usual junk, kerosene + light oil + unicorn tears or something like that. But it's 25 - 35% polyether amine (PEA), meaning it's up there with most of the other "superior" fuel system cleaners, similar to Techron and Valvoline, but less PEA than Redline, going from memory. Google "crc 05063 75060-6".

Originally Posted By: TC
"Does anyone have a MSDS of the CRC Guaranteed to pass emissions stuff?"

Turns out that is a GREAT question, SOHCman. I thought the stuff would be the usual junk, kerosene + light oil + unicorn tears or something like that. But it's 25 - 35% polyether amine (PEA), meaning it's up there with most of the other "superior" fuel system cleaners, similar to Techron and Valvoline, but less PEA than Redline, going from memory. Google "crc 05063 75060-6".

Thanks! I just used it my last tank full and knew it couldn't just be a placebo effect! Smoother running/idle and gained one mile per gallon on the treated tank. I'll see how the next tank calculates.

Yep, I've heard good stories of the CRC G2P stuff.......but it seems to be "hit and miss" as far as whether or not it can truely "pass you" for your annual smog test.......I've heard people that use it.....and still didn't pass :X hehehe.....again...this was majority "online reviews" - and we can't believe everything we read on an amazon.com review
wink.gif
But yea, it does have a high conc. of PEA
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back