PureOne pl14610 Ripped opened! 7100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
had this Pureone in my acura for 7100 miles. i change my oil at 3500 intervals, so this was in for 2 oci. This is my first time taking it apart and wanted to see how it held up especially for this long. After seeing this, i am more than confident to take it up to 10k+ miles. The filter media did not seem to be clogged up as i barely felt any debris..there was but very little and small particles. The filter media was glued on very well...i had difficulty ripping it apart.

my method of opening the filter was creating a hole with cutting pliers and then using needle nose pliers to slowly rip apart the can. took me about 5 minutes.
photo1-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Are any of those particles from the can mangling - I mean cutting?

wink.gif

Last edited:
Looks good. The PL14610 is a nice filter application for Honda/Acura, easily good for any 5-15% MM OCI.

Love the "ripped open' thread header.

Just a suggestion, if you plan on doing this much and have a Harbor Freight nearby, grab an exhaust cutter, ~$16 with a coupon. less when on sale.

Quote:
Looks good for a 3500 mile interval. So would any filter really.

The filter interval was 7100 miles.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks good. The PL14610 is a nice filter application for Honda/Acura, easily good for any 5-15% MM OCI.

Just a suggestion, if you plan on doing this much and have a Harbor Freight nearby, grab an exhaust cutter, ~$16 with a coupon. less when on sale.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

The interval(s) was 2X3500. Big difference from 1X7100.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

The interval(s) was 2X3500. Big difference from 1X7100.

It isn't 3500 either, big difference.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif
2 OCIs' of ~3500 is still a 7100 filter interval.

When I post my BD+ two oci's ~6500mi. I'll post 13K interval on filter, not 6500. I'll go with the OP's 7100. Thanks

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Are any of those particles from the can mangling - I mean cutting?

wink.gif

the white specs on the filter is from reflection.

the particles on the cardboard is not from the engine. thats my big piece of cardboard to prevent oil from getting on the driveway.

just to clarify, the filter has 7100 miles on it. i used maxlife first for 3500 miles and pennzoil conventional 2nd for 3600 miles. Oh the reason for cutting it up was because the filter felt so heavy after removing it and no more oil came out so i thought that it was loaded with metal debris. When i made that initial puncture to the can, oil came drooling out...quite a lot actually.

Last edited:
Have been using these for the MM intervals on my Honda. Seem fine, but I am going to bite and start using the synthetic filter they came out with.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

the filter felt so heavy after removing it and no more oil came out so i thought that it was loaded with metal debris. When i made that initial puncture to the can, oil came drooling out...quite a lot actually.

Good to know the ADBV was still working as intended, even after 2 oci's @ over 3k each. Thanks for sharing
=)

is it normal to feel sand grain size of debris in the filter media? if so, what parts of the engine is this from?

engine runs fantastic and burns like 1/4 quart in 3500 miles and i bring it to redline about 7-10 times in that time. 128k miles on my 01 acura integra 5spd.

Last edited:
is it normal to feel sand grain size of debris in the filter media? if so, what parts of the engine is this from?

Probably small chunks of carbon. Put them on a piece of white paper and grind them with your finger to see if they break up and leave marks on the paper.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Probably small chunks of carbon. Put them on a piece of white paper and grind them with your finger to see if they break up and leave marks on the paper.

you are a genius! dug into the garbage can and did exactly as you said and the small black chunks broke up just like chalk does

where is this carbon coming from? piston rings?

Such a clean filter is much more of an indication of the engine's overall condition and maintenance history rather than the quality of the filter you just took off of it. The car's owner should be getting kudos, not the filter. I don't know why some of you guys get all excited when you see something like this.

If this P1 was covered in lumpy black tar and metal shavings, you can bet that more than one person would chime in and say the filter wasn't doing its job, which makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

you are a genius! dug into the garbage can and did exactly as you said and the small black chunks broke up just like chalk does

where is this carbon coming from? piston rings?

I had white chunks caused by a bad HG/coolant loss. On another the dark chunks were just cleanup from changing oils.

Bottom_Feeder, the key isn't that the filter is fairly clean, but that the filter appears to be in very good condition, media isn't falling apart, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back