Quaker State 'Defy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Since you live in Michigan and DO have colder winters than we do, a 0w40 oil is fine and will flow better on start up than 5w or 10w. That motor will thank you for the good oil with good reliability. I do not think that the 4 ltr motor has to have 5w or 10w. You will treat the motor well with 0w40. Good for your motor.
01.gif

No, M1 0W-40 is not a good choice for a 30wt application and it will be heavier on start-up to a 5W-30 at all temp's the OP will likely see.
Use a quality 5W-30; you'll be hard pressed to improve upon it.

Many Jeep 4.0s have shown good UOA results on Xw40 oils. Check the UOA forum. I think M1 0w40 is an excellent choice.

I do agree that a 5w30 in most situations would be thinner at startup than a 0w40. The mistake that many are making here interpreting oils is that the winter ratings are consistent across viscosity grades...they are not.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

Many Jeep 4.0s have shown good UOA results on Xw40 oils. Check the UOA forum. I think M1 0w40 is an excellent choice.

I do agree that a 5w30 in most situations would be thinner at startup than a 0w40. The mistake that many are making here interpreting oils is that the winter ratings are consistent across viscosity grades...they are not.

Bingo, Ill be doing a UOA with the M1 0w-40 to see
I haven't seen any 4.0 jeep UOAs with M1 0w-40 yet but so far they dont like Mobil 1 much since they are known to shed iron and m1 likes to give high iron uoas so we will see if the unique blend m1 0w-40 has what it takes to make a good uoa

Yeah, Mobil and the 4.0 don't mix very well.

A guy on another forum did a rather in depth study I thought, researching UOA's with 4.0's using a 30 vs 40 weight. His conclusion: The xw30 weights turned in as good, in fact microscopically better, UOA's in the 4.0 than the xw40's did. But clearly the 4.0 will thrive on either one, the numbers were so close. If your 4.0 is up there in miles or getting tired, the xw40 would be the way to go, otherwise I'd run a xw30 for better cold starting, and a little better power and gas mileage, at least in theory anyway.

He also noted the same thing, Mobil consistently produced higher iron numbers in the 4.0 than any other oil.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

A guy on another forum did a rather in depth study I thought, researching UOA's with 4.0's using a 30 vs 40 weight. His conclusion: The xw30 weights turned in as good, in fact microscopically better, UOA's in the 4.0 than the xw40's did. But clearly the 4.0 will thrive on either one, the numbers were so close. If your 4.0 is up there in miles or getting tired, the xw40 would be the way to go, otherwise I'd run a xw30 for better cold starting, and a little better power and gas mileage, at least in theory anyway.

He also noted the same thing, Mobil consistently produced higher iron numbers in the 4.0 than any other oil.

Except without tear-downs, that sort of extrapolation regarding UOA's really isn't useful. Each lubricant will have its own "signature" and it is variations or significant changes in the trends of that signature that one watches to identify potential problems.

I would say that your comments apply to Mobil1 and not other Mobil products. Just to be clear, since you said Mobil and not Mobil1.

The older M1 tended to produce higher iron in pretty much every application, not just Jeeps. However, the newer, SN M1 is doing much better. And M1 0w40 is a different animal altogether.

do you have a link to that study? sounds like a good read

Originally Posted By: MrRPM

do you have a link to that study? sounds like a good read

It is interesting, I book marked it.

Jeep 4.0 - 30 weights versus 40 weights

Just did an oil change on my wifes 2000 Impala 3800, 177,000 miles with some Defy. Should be interesting to see what happens. I hope to do a sample later this summer.

OK OK. I admit it. I dumped the pennzoil with 2500 miles on it and put in the QS Defy 5w30 I know I can't help it

I picked up 3 5-quart juge this morning at Wal-mart.

It's going in the Wife's Camry after this run of Maxlife is taken out.

Quote:
With Quaker State Defy synthetic blend, we’ve innovated a way to add 50% more zinc-based anti-wear additives (ZDDP) than the latest GF5 oil specifications call for, without risk to emission system equipment.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
...future engine wear...

What about "current" engine wear?

LOL

How much zinc/zddp does this oil have ? wonder it if same or less then T5 or T6 . i was try to stick with 1 kind of oil that have most zinc/zddp, but my local walmart alway slow restock on either T5 or t6.

Picked up a jug of the 5W-20 the other day for mom's 05' Taurus for $15.28...

Originally Posted By: steve20
quess the old QSHM will be showing up at th local Big Lots soon

I saw QSHM 5W-20 at Ollie's Outlet last Fall...

Last edited:
It must be a little different than the old QSHM. I was looking at both today as Walley World has the new Defy in gallons but still had the old HM in the quarts. The old HM says SM yet the new Defy says SL......Does that mean it's not as good as the old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back