Help! Lefty on a budget looking for a 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actively seeking a 1911 in .45ACP, but being new the handgun scene, quickly found out the typical 1911 is for the average (and pesky) righty... Now what??? Are there any tricks for a lefty to operate the right hand oriented safety?

Any thoughts on the Remington vs. the Springfield?

I have about 800.00-900.00 to work with.

Am also considering the S&W M&P in .45 as well. Can anyone help me compare and contrast them?

Ambi safety. I like 1911s, I am a big fan and own a Kimber. That being said, the 1911 is a design that requires maintenance and training to use and maintain. If you are not dead set on a 1911 I would pursue a more modern design with better sights, a higher capacity and reliability/rust resistance out of the box. If you are dead set on a 1911, what about the new Taurus? Looks mighty loaded out of the box, and they have a pretty good rep these days.

Dead set? Not entirely. Mostly though. I'm not scared of the maintenance or training. I've been mechanically inclined all my life and am currently a mech.

I also know a Sheriff's deputy who teaches CCW classes that is willing to lead me through it and give me pointers.

As far as the Taurus is concerned, I'm going to leave that farther down my list due to it being a Brazilian made gun. I'd like to support U.S. companies first.

Springfield is Brazilian made (by Imbel) even the ones that have enough finish work done here to be marked US made started out as Imbel frames and slides. They are also full of MIM. Kimbers full of MIM as well. MIM isn't the end of the world, but you can buy a Colt with 3 MIM parts for not much more with careful shopping.

The XSE series come standard with an AMBI and if you shop carefully you should be able to get one for 899.00.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtXSESeries.aspx

I don't know too much about the Remington are they US made.

For USA made under 1000.00 Colt, Para, Kimber are about it. If you are willing to go a bit above 1000.00, Dan Wesson is a very good choice, but you will have to add the Ambi. STI other than the "Spartan" series are also US made.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

From what I've read, they come out of Remington's Ilion, NY factory.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Springfield is Brazilian made (by Imbel) even the ones that have enough finish work done here to be marked US made started out as Imbel frames and slides. They are also full of MIM. Kimbers full of MIM as well. MIM isn't the end of the world, but you can buy a Colt with 3 MIM parts for not much more with careful shopping.

The XSE series come standard with an AMBI and if you shop carefully you should be able to get one for 899.00.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtXSESeries.aspx

For USA made under 1000.00 Colt, Para, Kimber are about it. If you are willing to go a bit above 1000.00, Dan Wesson is a very good choice, but you will have to add the Ambi. STI other than the "Spartan" series are also US made.

Boy, talk about taking the wind out of my sails...

IMHO the new Ruger looks like a pretty good deal, don't know what they cost though.

I love the 1911, they really shoot great and have nice triggers.

Once you have a 1911 than you need to start looking for a Browning Hi Power to round out your collection! LOL.

Sorry, didn't mean to deflate sails...

Oh yeah, Ruger, S&W and Sig are US too, I always forget S&W because they have external extractors and Sig because they also have external extractors (most of them anyway) and don't really look like 1911's to me
crazy.gif

I've heard good stuff about Ruger, they are about 700.00 IIRC but they are scarce.

I think Colt is the best Value for under 1000.00 and Dan Wesson is best in the 1000.00 - 2000.00 market. (a Heritage is about 1200.00 street price, a Duty Treated Valor is more like 1800.00)

We can get into the whole "Cast vs Forged" debacle if you like?
smirk.gif

[censored], forgot about the Ruger. I am a fan of ruger products. Generally overbuilt and their customer support is excellent.

After some more pondering, I've all but decided on the Remington .45. T looked at the others and while they were mostly within the budget I posted, the wife and I have (yes I said the wife) decided that we want another gun for hunting. Around here that mostly means a shotgun.

Judging by the nearly overwhelming popularity of the Remington 870 in another thread, that's what I think we'll get.

It looks like she'll be attending CCW classes with me as well... What a woman.

Look at the Colt. My Colt 1911 Rail Gun has ambidextrous safeties and is in your price range. Gun shoots very nice and is extremely accurate. It's in your price range.

S&W has a spotty 1911 record IMHO. Do some research - my favorite 1911 site:

http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

Nothing wrong with Sig 1911, and the external extractor is actual better IMHO. No reports of problems with them. I have a Sig Nitron Target 1911. Probably have more rounds through that than my Colt. Good value, adjustable Night sights. Super reliable and very accurate.

I just got my Ruger 1911. 500+ rounds through it now. Just breaking in, but all is well.

Remington is OK, but I think the Ruger is better for the $.

Springfield has a good 1911 reputation. The loaded model looks like a good value.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I am actively seeking a 1911 in .45ACP, but being new the handgun scene, quickly found out the typical 1911 is for the average (and pesky) righty... Now what??? Are there any tricks for a lefty to operate the right hand oriented safety?

Am also considering the S&W M&P in .45 as well. Can anyone help me compare and contrast them?

The_Eric,

Remington or Springfield are good choices if you into 1911's. Since your a lefty like I am you can take your pistol to a ginsmith that specializes in the 1911 and have him change the ejctor angle so it won't hit your face like I did on all mine. It's allot of trial and error so be careful and wear a face shield.

The other thing you can try is to practice and shoot right handed. I must admit that although I had my smith do those mods on my pistols/1911's in reality I feel just as comfortable shooting right handed instead of left.

Durango

Pablo, thanks for the input. I decided to drop the price range a bit due to the purchase of a 12ga. and a little something for the Mrs...

Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The_Eric,

Remington or Springfield are good choices if you into 1911's. Since your a lefty like I am you can take your pistol to a ginsmith that specializes in the 1911 and have him change the ejctor angle so it won't hit your face like I did on all mine. It's allot of trial and error so be careful and wear a face shield.

The other thing you can try is to practice and shoot right handed. I must admit that although I had my smith do those mods on my pistols/1911's in reality I feel just as comfortable shooting right handed instead of left.

Durango

It looks like I'll be getting a Remington 1911 R1 in a few days. The better half and I will be attending CCW classes in a few days with a local Sheriff's Department Deputy. After the 3 day waiting period I'll bring it home. As an aside, the Mrs. doesn't actually have to attend (though she will anyway) to get her CCW as she was in the military. All she needs is a copy of her DD 214's and she's good to go.

Well, after taking my concealed carry class and waiting a week (not 3 days), I've finally brought it home. I've put 50 rounds of PMC 230 grain through it so far and no real issues to speak of. It's definitely a tight gun, with one slightly sticky spot in the last 1/8" of travel. I have feeling that it'll loosen up after 2-300 rounds.

SDC106001320x990.jpg

SDC106021320x990.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back