Quaker State 'Defy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this oil at Walmart in Indiana. Cost was around $15.00 5qt jug. I was almost tempted to buy the 5w30 as I have 100,000 now but stayed with pennzoil yb 5w20. At least until I see the specs

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
There is a "Need" for 10w-30 in a Jeep 2.5 4 cylinder and 4.0 Inline 6. I would only use 5w-30 in consistently 20 degree or below weather. They just Like 10w-30. Whatever 10w-30.

Why? Can you give me details? Im honestly curious

My local walmart finally got this stuff in, bet they were pretty much cleaned out of the 5w-30. They had a bunch of 5w-20 in 1qt. bottles and a couple 5qt. jugs of 10w-40. I might give this stuff a try in my wifes explorer.

MrRPM, I have a 1994 Jeep with 4 liter since new. It DOES NOT care if it has 5w30 or 15w40. I even put HDEO in it and it purrs like a kitten. It likes all oil and just wants to be maintained properly and has been BULLETPROOF with no problems since new. I even use mixes of oil just to get rid of it when I change my Jeep and it says thank you very much. What a good motor. I just h
banana2.gif
ope you change it frequently with something good.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
MrRPM, I have a 1994 Jeep with 4 liter since new. It DOES NOT care if it has 5w30 or 15w40. I even put HDEO in it and it purrs like a kitten. It likes all oil and just wants to be maintained properly and has been BULLETPROOF with no problems since new. I even use mixes of oil just to get rid of it when I change my Jeep and it says thank you very much. What a good motor. I just h
banana2.gif
ope you change it frequently with something good.

right, i Just wonder why someone thinks thinner oils at start up is not good for the 4.0, esp such a small difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30. according to their theory then maybe the 4.0 would do even better on strait 30?
its just the opposite of what I have heard here and because its such a drastic answer id like to hear more about their reasoning

Since you live in Michigan and DO have colder winters than we do, a 0w40 oil is fine and will flow better on start up than 5w or 10w. That motor will thank you for the good oil with good reliability. I do not think that the 4 ltr motor has to have 5w or 10w. You will treat the motor well with 0w40. Good for your motor.
01.gif

I've just always used 10w30 in the 4.0L Jeeps I've had, that's why I'm running 10w30 still. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Since you live in Michigan and DO have colder winters than we do, a 0w40 oil is fine and will flow better on start up than 5w or 10w. That motor will thank you for the good oil with good reliability. I do not think that the 4 ltr motor has to have 5w or 10w. You will treat the motor well with 0w40. Good for your motor.
01.gif

No, M1 0W-40 is not a good choice for a 30wt application and it will be heavier on start-up to a 5W-30 at all temp's the OP will likely see.
Use a quality 5W-30; you'll be hard pressed to improve upon it.

Shell Rotella T-5 10w-30 is an Excellent Choice. Finally someone with a Good recommendation. 10w-30 has more base oil and less VIs than 5w-30. Wont shear out of grade as fast as a 5w-30 either. More cushioning for a old school, bigger clearance engine design?! Eh...

I have used Straight 30 HD, in the past, in High mileage 4.0s, all seasons, feeling better by knowing and hearing how the engine runs compared to 5w-30. Opperating Oil pressures are not that great with any mileage 4.0, and the extra viscosity at opperating temp that a well built 10w-30(thinking High Mileage or HDEO) has seems to agree with the 4.0 Inline 6.

agreed, but in a situation where temps are very cold and lots of short trips, a 5W-30 would be a better choice during those conditions at least, even in the 4.0 jeep. In warmer weather and with longer trip driving conditions, a beefier oil such as the T5 HDEO or HM oils would be my choice with this engine.

but when comparing 5w-30 to 10w-30 of the same oils both are many times too thick for the 4.0 engine at start up. using the thinnest oil at start up is still too thick, a 0w-20 oil would still be too thick for our jeeps when the oil is cold. and once 5w-30 and 10w-30 are hot they are the same viscosity, the engine will notice no difference at all.
I have never heard anyone say their oils are sheering out of spec unless contaminated by fuel or another problem. i really don't see any advantage to using a 10w-30 to 5w-30 even in our old school jeeps. we no longer have shear problems that might have existed in the past.lower start up viscosity at cold starts will do nothing but help, but remember just because its thinner does not means to too thin. its just slightly closer to being thin enough, either way they are too thick and cause damage at start up due to their thickness. the only advantage to using a 10w-30 to 5w-30 was shear stability but these days that advantage no longer stands.

bmwtechguy, quaker state defy is just that, a beefed up HM oil, hopefully it works good after seeing some UOAs in 4.0s

I like the price of the new QS Defy, and the additional anti-wear chemistry along with seal conditioners is perfect in many older vehicles I service. I intend to give it a try as I use up the Maxlife and Mobil HM oils I have on the shelf for these cars.

I picked up 2 jugs of "Defy" for $9.99 each, and a jug of QSUD at reg price. It was $20.47, I think. I'm gonna send in the rebate, and hope for the best, I did the "price match" (wink wink), on the Defy. It works, at least where I'm at, at Walmart. It helps when you go to the register where a young female is the cashier. (I also get Diet Dr. Pepper for 2 bucks a 12-pack, too. Wink, wink). I don't feel the least bit bad about "price-matching" at Walmart. Like they feel it? They are the next worst thing, next to China.

I also noticed this.
There is no API donut on the label, only a statement that the oil meets API SL.
I therefore think that this is not an API certified oil, just like the old QS HM.
This could prove to be a very good oil in certain applications.
We'll have to wait and see what those who use it have to report, as well as the inevitable UOAs.
This could end up being a better HM oil than Maxlife SB, which carries API SM certification, in the right application.
I would trust SOPUS not to offer anything actually harmful to any car speced for an SL or earlier standard.

I checked my closest Walmart this morning. They have the 5-quart jug of 5W-30, but the 10W-30 and other grades were still the similarly-packaged "Enhanced Durability," which don't say synthetic blend, for the same $14.97 as the Defy. I'm not due to change oil again until June or July. I can wait a while to see if the Defy shows up, but I don't want to miss a good price.

The MaxLife (not sure if it was syn blend) was almost 18.00.

I got a jug of Defy yesterday, it looks to be a direct replacement for the older QSHM, it was mixed in with it on the shelf, the price was the same, and the receipt still said QSHM on it.

The word is already out on this oil I think, there was only 1 jug of 10w30 and a couple 5w30, the rest was the older QSHM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back