Natural gas generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 17KW natural gas generator I have had for a number of years. I had always used 5-30 synthetic oil until last fall. I had most of a left over gallon of Rotella T6 and changed using the T6. I came accross some information about engine oil specifically for Natural Gas engines. I found two articles that caution against usind HDEO for a natural gas engines. http://www.cumminswestport.com/pdf/technical_bulletins/2009-05_Natural_Gas_Engine_Oil.pdf
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/663/natural-gas-engine-lubrication
It concerned me a bit switched back to 5-30 synthetic PCMO. Just thought I would pass this along! Joe

A friend is a service tech on Generic stand by generators. He uses nothing but M1 5-30 per his tech school instructions. He has now serviced many of these units over the years with very good results. They are all either propane or natural gas.

Last edited:
You definitely do not want HDEO in Natural gas engines. Way too much sulfated ash that builds up on the valves, eventually channeling and causing wheezing and poor sealing.

Most are designed for about 0.5% ash content. There are many suppliers for it. There are exceptions to the right ash content, but most are .5

Yes, I know now. I tried to obtain NGEO from several sources with no success. They could only get 55 galllons. There are several good produts like Valvoline looks like it is availabe in gallons. Oh well, using the next best thing I guess.

Thanks!
Joe

Turbojoe,

At my workplace we have a 17kw Kohler generator with a 35hp Ford engine in it running on NG. When I asked the Ford tech. people in Dearborn about the need for special oil 10 years ago they said I would be fine on regular automotive oil.

If you read your links, the Noria one talks about engines needing some ash to protect the valves. It also states that many NG engines run on low OR medium ash oils. Both of your links seem to relate to very heavy duty, large industrial engines (the Cummins links to a very specific engine).

All I'm saying is that it might be good to investigate further before taking the info in your two links and applying to all natural gas engines.

Regarding HDEO, Rotella T5 is 1% ash.

If you learn more, please share, as I am interested too.

Thanks doitmyself,
I am not at all concerned with running PCMO in my gennie. I will just use the same oil I put in the wife's car. The ash content is .5-.6 % ash. I wanted to get the T6 out before it had a long run. I do realize the engines in the links I posted were in a different than my little twin cylinder! I use the T6 in my Jeep CRD so it was just some that was left over.

Take care!
Joe

Interesting. At work we have a 250kW natural gas standby set with a big 6-cylinder Cummins and the factory manual says Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 HDEO is the preferred oil.

Quote:
the links I posted were in a different than my little twin cylinder!

Oh. I thought maybe you had something like this:
crackmeup2.gif

dvigCat.jpg

What oil are you using with 0.6% ash?

doitmyself,
All the furnaces in my subdivision would go out when that kitty Cat started up!
I am using QSUD 5w30 now. I used M1 5W30 before.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back