Castrol 75w-90 Gear Oil - Is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change my rear diff fluid here soon and came across Castrol's 75w-90 gear oil. They didn't have it the last time I was in the store so I went with Mobil1. It meets or exceeds the GL-5 spec and is about $4 cheaper than the Mobil1.

Is the Castrol a good fluid or should I stick with M1?

I don't have any Amsoil dealers close to me so it's got to be something I can get in an autoparts store.

I have used it in my Axiom's rear differential for 30K. When I changed it, there was very little metal on the magnetic plugs. I was able to buy Valvoline cheaper, otherwise, I'd have gone with Castrol again.

Hi,
Mossyoakglock - Castrol's synthetic gear lubricants are amongst the very best available. They have been long term players in the field (from the 1930-50s - well before BP took over) and many have their origin ex Germany

I have run comparison tests over many millions of Kms so I can "speak" with a lot of background knowledge

All my present vehicles have Castrol synthetics throughout their drivelines

Use with confidence - of course always use the correct specification for the application!

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug.

Fxrider made it sound like it wasn't synthetic but I could have just read the post wrong.

I run Mobil in my engine but Castrol in tranny and transfer case so I'll probably run it in my rear diff to keep all drivetrain fluids the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back