Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic: Full synthetic or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Most major oil companies such as Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1 are not fully synthetic. Most are hydrocracked oils that perform similar to FULLY synthetic oils. Truly synthetic oils ( Group VI and V) are Amsoil Signature Series and Redline oils. To answer your question Mobil 1 is not fully synthetic but it does contain some synthetic base stocks. Just not fully.

The definition of Synthetic anywhere outside of Germany includes Group III base oils, so all of those oils are "synthetic" by definition everywhere but Germany.

The truth came out from Mobile themselves and was best covered by a posting 8/19/10 from buster;
Mobile1 - PAO & Visom
Bottom line they needed to get costs down to continue to compete with all the other major brands. Mobile and others now have a range of "syn" oils, basically you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I'd just accept that it is synthetic. It's their best even if synthetics are a bit different sourced today.

It can vary by grade too. Some suggest there are more higher group oils in the 0w40 Mobil 1 than the other. Who knows really?

It varies greatly by grade.

The two big tellers are NOACK and low temp MRV. From those two things we can acertain with at least some certainty which base oils are in use.

Mobil 1's 0w30 has an obscenely low MRV at -40, meaning it is likely primarily PAO-based.

Mobil 1 0w40 has as very low NOACK, meaning it is likely primarily PAO-based.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 is as "synthetic" as any other oil on the market. It's most likely some combination of Group III+, PAO, AN, and POE.

Very well put buster
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
The truth came out from Mobile themselves and was best covered by a posting 8/19/10 from buster;
Mobile1 - PAO & Visom
Bottom line they needed to get costs down to continue to compete with all the other major brands. Mobile and others now have a range of "syn" oils, basically you get what you pay for.

It is "Mobil", not "Mobile" FYI
smile.gif

Why does Mobil need to keep costs down when they own the synthetic market. The reality is the boutique oils, which are considably more expensive, need to convince people that their oils are much better in some sense to justify the extra cost. If you want to brief the hype, go ahead. But most here will tell you that Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline synthetics are true synthetics and that breaking down synthetics into Group 3 vs Group 4 vs Group 5 is pointless and meaningless. We've entered a new era of synthetics where all Groups have their advantages and disadvantages and so it is best to mix from different Groups.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Why does Mobil need to keep costs down when they own the synthetic market. The reality is the boutique oils, which are considably more expensive, need to convince people that their oils are much better in some sense to justify the extra cost. If you want to brief the hype, go ahead. But most here will tell you that Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline synthetics are true synthetics and that breaking down synthetics into Group 3 vs Group 4 vs Group 5 is pointless and meaningless. We've entered a new era of synthetics where all Groups have their advantages and disadvantages and so it is best to mix from different Groups.

Yes
thumbsup2.gif

And these new GTL base stocks work to blur the lines even further.

It is about the performance of the final product, not the base stocks.

Mobile1 - PAO & Visom

Define get what you pay for?

I see an oil base that allows cold flow properties that are on par with 0w- oils, and grp III+ is well known to be on par with PAO for oxidative stability. What other "value" are you looking for?

Why does Mobil need to keep costs down when they own the synthetic market.

I think it's more about improving margins/maximizing profits. If you can continue charging the same price while spending less on producing something, why not do it? Especially that the difference in terms of performance to the consumer is likely imperceptible.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Most major oil companies such as Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1 are not fully synthetic. Most are hydrocracked oils that perform similar to FULLY synthetic oils. Truly synthetic oils ( Group VI and V) are Amsoil Signature Series and Redline oils. To answer your question Mobil 1 is not fully synthetic but it does contain some synthetic base stocks. Just not fully.

Actually you are wrong. Mobil Super Synthetic has a grp 3 base oil and all M1 tagged oils have a base that is made up of at least four base stocks with a total of 15 differant additives per their web site. Also I believe Amsoil has a base stock of differant ingredients as well.

Originally Posted By: annoymyhat
So, if I'm looking for the best synthetic protection, I'm going to need to switch to Amsoil. Noted.

Has Mobil 1 always been that way? Have they ever been a "true" fully synthetic motor oil?

Since M1 is the largest seller of "Fully Synthetic Oil" they have a target on their back, so you can read and hear a lot of half truths about their products on the web sites you frequent. Especially by those who might profit from these kinds of rumors.
Fact is I have been using their oil now for 34 years and M1 today is ever bit as good if not better than in 1978 when I first started using it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Mobile1 - PAO & Visom

Define get what you pay for?

I see an oil base that allows cold flow properties that are on par with 0w- oils, and grp III+ is well known to be on par with PAO for oxidative stability. What other "value" are you looking for?

Every Brand offers different "syn" levels, Mobil has Super, Classic M1, HM, AFE, EP. Granted they are different additive packages in addition to different base mixes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Yea it's been a few days good thing this topic was brought up again..

Should have its own category.

Gotta love the Group 4 & 5 guys. When will they realize they are 1 to 2 decades behind
smile.gif

Agreed. It's my understanding that a blend of base stocks makes for a better oil.

i called the Mobil number at the bottom of their page and the guy that answered said its still a group IV oil! they have a group III in Mobil Super Synthetic. so i guess it still is a full real synthetic???

Originally Posted By: 345hemi
i called the Mobil number at the bottom of their page and the guy that answered said its still a group IV oil! they have a group III in Mobil Super Synthetic. so i guess it still is a full real synthetic???

Why don't you ask him about VISOM.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back