Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic: Full synthetic or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I keep reading on various websites that Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic motor oil isn't actually fully synthetic anymore?

Is this just a rumor?

Most major oil companies such as Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1 are not fully synthetic. Most are hydrocracked oils that perform similar to FULLY synthetic oils. Truly synthetic oils ( Group VI and V) are Amsoil Signature Series and Redline oils. To answer your question Mobil 1 is not fully synthetic but it does contain some synthetic base stocks. Just not fully.

So, if I'm looking for the best synthetic protection, I'm going to need to switch to Amsoil. Noted.

Has Mobil 1 always been that way? Have they ever been a "true" fully synthetic motor oil?

Don't forget.....German made Castrol 0w-30, sold in North America, if not mistaken, is "Full Synthetic"....Group IV and better base oils along with Royal Purple.

"Full Synthetic" is just a marketing term.

Honestly, I really dont see a BIG difference between oils. M1 I think is taking a different approach and use many different base oils and now are using non metallic additives that wont show up in the VOA or UOA. I really don't think you can go wrong with any name brand over the counter oil. As for Amsoil, they are intended for long drain intervals so theyll last you longer than most oils. My experience with Amsoil products are that they are top notch. My Camaro was noticeably smoother and les noisy but that just me. Redline is known for its racing applications. What kind of car is it and how are your driving habits? Highway or street?

I would think that back in the 70s Mobil 1 was "real".They sold Amsoil the rights to market their oil for a year before Mobil brought out their Mobil 1 synthetic line.It was actually Mobil selling them the ingredients though.Right? Today its all about profits.So cheapening a product all the while "tricking" the public into believing its the same old same old is nothing new.Its like marketing Arco Graphite without any graphite in it....but not telling anybody.

2012 Mazdaspeed 3. It's my daily commuter. I don't autocross or race at all. I'll screw around and go triple digits occasionally, but nothing serious. I just want an oil that will help protect that turbocharger and keep a hot-running motor well lubricated, that's all.

And to answer your other question. No, M1 was once made from PAO ( Group IV) base stock. They switched to a mix of base stocks. They claim VISOM base stock acts very similar to PAO based oils.

Originally Posted By: annoymyhat
So, if I'm looking for the best synthetic protection, I'm going to need to switch to Amsoil. Noted.

Wrong.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Wrong.

+2 even Pablo, the Amsoil guy on this forum, will tell you that the Group 4 or 5 vs Group 3 is irrelevant. Mobil could not call their oil fully synthetic in the US if legally it wasn't. Don't believe the FUD.

I'd just accept that it is synthetic. It's their best even if synthetics are a bit different sourced today.

It can vary by grade too. Some suggest there are more higher group oils in the 0w40 Mobil 1 than the other. Who knows really?

Why don't we see what Mobil1 says about their product?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

The bottom line...

"The performance of synthetic motor oil is more robust, especially in terms of low-temperature pumpability, high-temperature stability, and protection against deposits. These attributes translate directly into less engine wear and longer engine life."

Use it in your Speed3 with confidence. Stick with the specified viscosity. That was 5W-30 for my 2008. Has Mazda changed it?

Last edited:
I wouldn't really worry too much about the whole synthetic debate rather choose an oil for YOUR application. You're looking for overall protection? Longer oil OCI?.. it really depends on what you want. With all that said, you really can't go wrong with most name brand over the counter synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Wrong.

+2 even Pablo, the Amsoil guy on this forum, will tell you that the Group 4 or 5 vs Group 3 is irrelevant. Mobil could not call their oil fully synthetic in the US if legally it wasn't. Don't believe the FUD.

The Mobil/Castrol thing was never a case AT LAW. There is no "legal" aspect.

Groups are irrelevant in all but the most seldom cases where some condition creates a requirement for it. Even aspects such as oxidation resistance, which WAS a big consideration or syn vs conventional, are more or less moot with grp III/III+.

With higher prices come higher profits at similar markups. Some "educated" folks get a feelgood that really does nothing, and boutique blenders sell PAO to them for 3k OCIs as if the vehicle owners are doing themselves a favor.

Mobil 1 is as "synthetic" as any other oil on the market. It's most likely some combination of Group III+, PAO, AN, and POE.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 is as "synthetic" as any other oil on the market. It's most likely some combination of Group III+, PAO, AN, and POE.

Exactly. it is the holistic approach of the correct mix of basestocks plus additives that matters... Not some magic value proposition of how much oil value you are getting for your dollar with some "real" or "fake" synthetic.

I wonder if those arguing real/fake understand where the ethylene comes from that gets used in PAO... oh yeah, that's right, the cat cracker, just like the slack wax for grp III. No magic ethylene well that produces 100% pure stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back