2009 6.7 Cummins turbo failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: subiedriver
I'll take a Cummins over a 6.0 powerjoke anyday of the week, that motor was certified junk.

Uh, yep!!

Cummins owns the commercial diesel truck market. Nothing is more bulletproof than the 5.9 CTD. Its too bad they had to put it in a lousy truck, lol.

The vast majority of military heavy vehicles run Cummins diesels. The reason.....reliability.

Ford = great overall truck, [censored] diesel.

Dodge = lousy truck, bulletproof diesel.

This age old wives tale of Dodges being "great engines/lousy trucks" is long overdue for a correction. That is a thing of yesteryear. Even leading diesel publications are touting the truck itself as good no matter what the engine. Sure the 89-93s had there issues, but Dodge has long since been making a truck that is solid and a good buy. Again, ask me how I know. Sit in and drive a new Dodge and then a new Ford or GMC. It comes down to personal preference. They all have their problems and issues as well as positive points.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Again, ask me how I know. Sit in and drive a new Dodge and then a new Ford or GMC. It comes down to personal preference.

For sure. Dodge has definitely seen improvements since the 1989-93 series (and earlier), as have all makers versus older trucks. A buddy has a 1993 one ton Dodge with the Cummins. It brings back memories of ALL the old trucks. There's no leg room, and I'm far from a tall guy. In every "old" regular cab truck, I have to put the seat all the way back and it's cramped - far from a Dodge specific complaint. My F-150 is the same way.

His Cummins runs beautifully. He insists upon using Royal Purple. I have no qualms with this, aside from his short OCI, usually 3,000 miles. He drives only highway miles, and I was lucky to convince him to go to 6,000 miles this time.
wink.gif

At least he's not afraid of trying 0w-40 or 5w-40 if he's going to use synthetic, although this time he opted for the 15w-40, which is about $1 per litre cheaper.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
A friend of mine has a 2009 Dodge 2500 that he bought new. The gentleman is in his sixties and has never used any type of aftermarket tuner or performance accessories. Oil changes have been performed at the dealer since day one. The truck is his grocery getter and toy hauler. The turbo just failed after 27,000 miles. At first Dodge said it was from "lack of maintenance." That lasted about 1 second when he produced all of his maintenance tickets FROM the dealership. Then they said it was from "lack of use." Are you kidding? The turbo failed from "lack of use." HAHAHAHA???? What????

They ended up replacing it under warranty and told him that it had "clogged up" from lack of use. They told him he needs to load the motor up more or buy a gas truck. This truck hauls a skid steer, cattle trailer and camper. He asked the service manager just what exactly he needed to tow/haul that would "clean the turbo." I guess the service manager did not have a good answer.

Lack of use maybe... believe it or not. What exactly failed? Did the actuator fail? Trim ring turn and cause wear on the vanes? Faults related to intermittent low boost? actuator arm binding internally? Plugged catalyst/DPF causing high EGB? Bearing failure? All of these are quite common, I replace a turbo at least once a week. Keep in mind I work for a large company that services quite a large area.

My question to you, is what was the complaint for him to have it looked at?

Also on a non related topic in this thread, in my opinion in the light duty trucks Ford does make the better drive train and chassis. As for engine, the early 6.0L were absolute junk, 2006 and 2007 we never see. The 6.4 is a whole other story. As far as chassis/drive train repairs, Dodges were always in the shop. No one we serviced really used their GM's for work. I hate Duramax just because in my opinion they are a pain to work on (not because they are garbage). Out in the oil fields it is mostly Dodges and Fords, the census there is that GM's don't hold up to the abuse.

I'll take a Cummins over a 6.0 powerjoke anyday of the week, that motor was certified junk.

Educate yourself please.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
Originally Posted By: 04SE
A friend of mine has a 2009 Dodge 2500 that he bought new. The gentleman is in his sixties and has never used any type of aftermarket tuner or performance accessories. Oil changes have been performed at the dealer since day one. The truck is his grocery getter and toy hauler. The turbo just failed after 27,000 miles. At first Dodge said it was from "lack of maintenance." That lasted about 1 second when he produced all of his maintenance tickets FROM the dealership. Then they said it was from "lack of use." Are you kidding? The turbo failed from "lack of use." HAHAHAHA???? What????

They ended up replacing it under warranty and told him that it had "clogged up" from lack of use. They told him he needs to load the motor up more or buy a gas truck. This truck hauls a skid steer, cattle trailer and camper. He asked the service manager just what exactly he needed to tow/haul that would "clean the turbo." I guess the service manager did not have a good answer.

Geez...got to love dealerships! I have heard of the 6.7 needing the turbo cleaned cause the 6.7 runs soooo sooty with its heavy EGR.

gdp07510ghrksootbuildup.jpg

They all look like that lol They went from 10%egr gas to 30%egr gas. If it is extreme there is a TSI for engine base timing which relates to clogged/melted intake pressure sensor's along with plugged delta P tubes in the mixer pipe.

I have had the displeasure of maintaining several Dodge CTDs, they ARE JUNK the 05 is BY FAR the worst.

DUDE, I've out pulled quite a few cumm-a-parts, with a 40' and 24+ round bales behind my PSD. I just wind er' out. The dodge guys have no %#%& and are affraid to rev above 2600rpm, atleast around here, so they slow down to 45mph+-. I set the cruise at 65mph and will run in 5th (direct) with 4.10's it's a pulling monster.

When the junky dodge is on the side of the road with a bad wheel bearing, I feel sorry for the poor SOB and stop and help him.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I have had the displeasure of maintaining several Dodge CTDs, they ARE JUNK the 05 is BY FAR the worst.

DUDE, I've out pulled quite a few cumm-a-parts, with a 40' and 24+ round bales behind my PSD. I just wind er' out. The dodge guys have no %#%& and are affraid to rev above 2600rpm, atleast around here, so they slow down to 45mph+-. I set the cruise at 65mph and will run in 5th (direct) with 4.10's it's a pulling monster.

When the junky dodge is on the side of the road with a bad wheel bearing, I feel sorry for the poor SOB and stop and help him.

Another uneducated statement. I can find just as many Ford POS's driving around and owners who can't even get warranty coverage for bad EGRs and injectors. There is a guy driving a 2006 F-250 with that wonderful POS of a 6.0 around Argyle, Texas. He has a magnetic sign on his door that says "ask me about my warranty" when Ford won't cover his smoking, belching, raggedy truck for a bad EGR and running on 6 cylinders. oh yeah, the 6.0 has 8 cylinders....doh!!!

My point is there as just as many [censored] Ford and Dmaxes out there. Again, each truck has its good and bad points and I have owned 3 Dodges and will not own anything else while having owned a DMax (good truck) and a Ford POS (ok truck). Saying any truck is junk is ignorant at best. They all suck when they die and leave you stranded. Educate yourself please and then your statement may hold some weight. And do it with FACTS and not speculation, hearsay, and "oh Fords are the best cuz they feel good and are cool". Maybe your statement would hold some weight then.

Again we fall back to the "Ford guys hate Chevys" and "Dodge guys hate Fords"...please....they are all decent and each has their pro's and con's depending on your needs. Maintenance and driving style will impact them quite a bit. Please stop with the "that truck is junk", "my buddy had a Checy fall apart" conjecture and contribute some real life factual knowledge.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Again we fall back to the "Ford guys hate Chevys" and "Dodge guys hate Fords"...please....they are all decent and each has their pro's and con's depending on your needs. Maintenance and driving style will impact them quite a bit. Please stop with the "that truck is junk", "my buddy had a Checy fall apart" conjecture and contribute some real life factual knowledge.

Yup. that is my point exactly.

All the above poster did with his highly emotional comment was discredit himself.

No harm done, we all are entitled to our opinions.

Along this line...I have looked into different crankcase vent systems...there is some evidence that routing the crank gases back through the turbo can cause some to oil up the turbo system and lead to early failures in trucks that are not worked hard enough to burn it off...anyone have any experience with this? I like to run mine out to at least 200K miles so any advice would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky

Geez...got to love dealerships! I have heard of the 6.7 needing the turbo cleaned cause the 6.7 runs soooo sooty with its heavy EGR.

gdp07510ghrksootbuildup.jpg

What am I missing here? My 82 MB turbodiesel (different beast for sure, but a stout, long lasting engine all the same) has EGR. It comes into the intake manifold, POST turbo.

Highly sooty diesel exhaust has been around for years, and while particle impingment on the blades will wear them eventually, they dont seem to get clogged. With high blowby and oil vapor, EGR soot will clog intakes pretty well, but that is after the turbo.

Interesting stuff. Where is this happening?

All the newer trucks diesel engines have crankcase ventilation systems that are "closed" and recirculate all of the oily crank vapors back into the motor. They burn very clean and the tailpipes are absolutelty spotless...that combined with the EGR and DPF can cause problems if not looked after and the truck is not run hard and at operating temp.

All the newer trucks diesel engines have crankcase ventilation systems that are "closed" and recirculate all of the oily crank vapors back into the motor. They burn very clean and the tailpipes are absolutelty spotless...that combined with the EGR and DPF can cause problems if not looked after and the truck is not run hard and at operating temp.

Even dodge has a procedure for cleaning the turbo and exhaust sensors...

http://www.gcatr.com/images/DODGE_6.7_TURBO_EXHAUST_SYSTEM_CLEANING.pdf

My 1970's technology MB does that too...

The pipe coming off the valve cover goes to the air filter via cyclonic separator, and those vapors go THROUGH the turbo (EGR is just past the oil cap).

IMG_2328.jpg

I have no DPF, but Im still failing to see why the turbo would clog, since the EGR soot is put in post-turbo.

I could imagine a lot of sooty, oily mess in the intake though.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

My 1970's technology MB does that too...

The pipe coming off the valve cover goes to the air filter via cyclonic separator, and those vapors go THROUGH the turbo (EGR is just past the oil cap).

IMG_2328.jpg

I have no DPF, but Im still failing to see why the turbo would clog, since the EGR soot is put in post-turbo.

I could imagine a lot of sooty, oily mess in the intake though.

EGR is nothing new to Cummins either. California 12Vs had EGR back in the 90s.

0704dp_07_z+1997_used_dodge_ram_3500_cummins_diesel+cummins_diesel_engine.jpg

6.7s soot the tar out of oil and exhaust gases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back