76 station in NY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving down to PA and saw at the border on the NY side, the first 76 stations in probably ever in NY, besides one off truck stops, in Lindley, NY. Brownie's.

There has not been a Conoco, Phillips 66, or 76 station for 150 mi in any direction for probably 50 years (Phillips 66) around here.

There's also the only Shell for eons a block away.

Weird to see.

Nice!

Yeah the only COP brand Ive EVER seen in the NJ area was at the Flying J truckstop.

I cant say I ever had seen a 76, 66 or Conoco station in the wild. Ditto for Chevron.

Last Arco was about 1985. Getty early 2000s. We had an influx of Citgo around 2005.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice!

Yeah the only COP brand Ive EVER seen in the NJ area was at the Flying J truckstop.

I cant say I ever had seen a 76, 66 or Conoco station in the wild. Ditto for Chevron.

Last Arco was about 1985. Getty early 2000s. We had an influx of Citgo around 2005.

'round here, i can remember 2 76 stations, both really independent garages that also sold gas, that lasted until sometime in the Early 2000's, one became a Citgo, the other just stopped selling fuel all together, becoming just a garage, the other followed suit a year or two later. both still operating just fine solely as independents.

Many brands have pulled out of Ohio:
Citgo several years ago, 76 in the early 2000's, Arco mid 80's, Phillips 66, Texaco, (years before.) Exxon, Mobil pulled out and made somewhat of a comeback (Mobil through UDF) but have largely disappeared. Flying J sold Conoco fuel, until they went unbranded here. Only Chevrons that I ever saw around here were on the boarders of KY and WV before they pulled out.
Now this is pretty much a Marathon/Speedway controlled market. They control virtually everything, including pricing. Everyone else merely plays follow the leader.
Anyway, kind of surprised that 76 is showing up on the East coast again. I thought that Conoco-Phillips had it laid out that 76 was a West coast brand, and everything east was Phillips 66. Guess they must have changed that up when they spun off the distribution part of the business.

Lots of CP/66/76 here. A few BP and shell stations. I've never seen a chevron or citgo gas station before....

Last edited:
I use to work for Union 76, in their chemical division in NJ, back 35+ years ago. The only places to get Union 76 gas were usually at truck stops in the northeast. There was a Union 76 truck stop in CT on I84 and another one in NJ near the PA border. Being an Union 76 employee I would stop at the CT station faithfully when visiting my sister in CT because I was an employee and got their gas credit card at a very young age. They also partnered with Citgo and Sunoco back then. It helped me establish a credit history when I was young.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I use to work for Union 76, in their chemical division in NJ, back 35+ years ago. The only places to get Union 76 gas were usually at truck stops in the northeast. There was a Union 76 truck stop in CT on I84 and another one in NJ near the PA border. Being an Union 76 employee I would stop at the CT station faithfully when visiting my sister in CT because I was an employee and got their gas credit card at a very young age. They also partnered with Citgo and Sunoco back then. It helped me establish a credit history when I was young.

Whimsey

Yes, I was going to mention that they used to be at the T/A truckstops waaayyy out in western Joisey on I-80 and I-78, but forgot about them since they've been gone for so long.

It's been forever since I saw a 76 gas station in Michigan. I used to remember seeing billboards along the highway advertising for 76. It had a martini glass with gasoline in it and it said something like: "Treat your car to something premium blah blah blah", but it was for 76. I thought it was kind of creative. However, the last station I remember seeing was in the late 90's on Detroit's east side.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
There's one in Hamburg, NY where I've been getting gas off and on...

Is it a Phillips 66 or 76? Phillips 66 hasn't been in NY state since the 60s, and 76 was only at the one or two Truckstops of America (TA) and at Watkins Glen race track until it became a Sunoco race fuels location.

I just topped-off this morning with 76 because I also wanted a newspaper on the way to work. I usually get Chevron but for no reason didn't this morning. I see em around here (N. Calif.) but now come to think about it, they are not as plentiful as Chevron, Shell's etc.
The nearest station from home is a 76, but getting in and out on the main blvd. keeps me from using it. The Shell across the street is no better. But the Chevron down the next block is more user friendly getting in and out. The AM/PM across the street is usually lined up with cars waiting, so I avoid that one.

I was shocked to see a 76 in Harrisburg PA!

But it's a small independent store. Could they just have the sign up and not really be 76???

What could I ask them or how could I check if it's legit?
Otherwise my best choice is Shell.

well I emailed them. guess I could call too...

Originally Posted By: ffracer

Is it a Phillips 66 or 76? Phillips 66 hasn't been in NY state since the 60s, and 76 was only at the one or two Truckstops of America (TA) and at Watkins Glen race track until it became a Sunoco race fuels location.

Definitely 76, and definitely NOT a truckstop. It was formerly a no name gas station and minimart. It's at the corner of Bayview and Clark St...

Interesting:

Quote:
Justin,

We do have a 76 branded station in Harrisburg, PA. They receive fuel from our Cahokia, IL terminal, which is most generally supplied with product from our Wood River, IL refinery.

All of our stations are independently owned and operated. The owners of the stations would make the decision to offer no ethanol fuel individually. The blending of ethanol has been mandated both on a federal level as well as in some local areas. The Energy Independence and Security Act, signed by President Bush in December of 2007, requires refiners in the U.S. to blend ethanol at increasing rates each year for the next 15 or so years. As a result, our company and others will be blending ethanol in more and more regions in the future.

Web Consumer Services
1-800-527-5476

Is it common for fuel to travel so far???

i just can't comprehend a fuel truck to travel that far for one station.
Wait, it's 785 miles! almost 14 hours to travel? Come on really???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back