Good Press for people seeking 40MPG+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
The cruze eco with the 6MT belongs on that list. But do they even test manual versions? I doubt it.

hrm... did you even follow the link?
of the 17 cars tested, 7 are designated as manual. one of the autos is designated as diesel, and 2 are Hybrids

00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d9-0000-0000-000000000000_20120222233112_Screen%20shot%202012-02-22%20at%203.29.48%20PM.png

My 09 nissan versa is rated at 34 MPG highway, I have always gotten 40+ on the highway. It is a 6MT though, so that helps for sure.

Weird how there's a 4mpg difference between the Civic LX and the loaded Civic EX
confused.gif
I have a 2007 Civic EX Auto and barely break the 40mpg barrier on highway trips but then again, i'm not doing 65mph in a 70mph zone
33.gif

I think this test is bogus because they are testing for MPGs in an unrealistic way.

I hate the tree huggers which go -10mph UNDER the speed limit in their little hybrid or some other bucket, trying to get good gas mileage.

I swear, if the government decides to lower the speed limit on the highway, because it will result in better MPGs nation wide, i'm going to lose it!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
The cruze eco with the 6MT belongs on that list. But do they even test manual versions? I doubt it.

hrm... did you even follow the link?
of the 17 cars tested, 7 are designated as manual. one of the autos is designated as diesel, and 2 are Hybrids

Nick Fails at reading but at the same time, i also wonder why the Cruze isn't on there...

IIRC, the government lowered the national speed limit in the 70s druing the oil embargo. Reason: Increase fuel efficienty. It is a well known fact about optimal fuel economy at certain speed ranges. Go too fast and you lose MPG's. Down here the limits 70MPH in a lot of places, I think thats too fast for a variety of reasons, and it sure dosent help fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I swear, if the government decides to lower the speed limit on the highway, because it will result in better MPGs nation wide, i'm going to lose it!
mad.gif

you mean like they did in the 70's? 55 MPH national speed limit anyone??

here in Buckeyeland, we are still @ 65mph, but there is a bill going through the legislature now, to make it 70 like all our neighbors.

It already gets 40MPG so why put into list???

Nick Fails at reading but at the same time, i also wonder why the Cruze isn't on there...

It's because the article is only about cars rated UNDER 40 MPG on the highway that can actually achieve OVER 40 MPG in the real world.

The Cruze Eco manual that another member mentioned is already rated at 40 MPG or above, so it isn't included.

Last edited:
mad.gif

here in Buckeyeland, we are still @ 65mph, but there is a bill going through the legislature now, to make it 70 like all our neighbors.

CT where testing occurs and I think all of New England do not have ANY speed limits >65MPH.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
mad.gif

CT where testing occurs and I think all of New England do not have ANY speed limits >65MPH.

however just because the speed limit is 65 or less doesn't mean people drive that. I certainly don't, and I know a very large percentage of people do not as well.

CR doesn't do peer review or show their methodology so who knows, they might have been running on E10. Did they use AC? Have a trunk full of stuff?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml tells us already what CR repeats, the "high speed" test goes over 65. And I can hold a steady speed for more than 6 1/2 minutes.

us06dds.gif

"Everyone" knows going slower helps MPG, but political will seems to have been going in the opposite direction since 1987. I would not worry about lower speed limits yet.

70 is pretty fast, but lots of people don't equate MPG w/ MPH.
I've done road trips in states w/ 70mph (WV, AL, MS) and it's a bit above the 'sweet spot' for my car. my Mazda5 is geared pretty low, and the RPM's are real high at those speeds, MPG's drop way off.

In short, get a smaller car and "don't drive like my brother" to break 40 mpg.

My Cruze Eco MT isn't on that list because its EPA highway rating is 42 mpg. It can/does get better than 42 mpg.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
CR doesn't do peer review or show their methodology so who knows, they might have been running on E10. Did they use AC? Have a trunk full of stuff?

Well 90% of us use the car for one thing and one thing only and that's to drive our rear ends to work / school where we are alone in a, what should be empty of stuff, car.

If you pile 4 more people in it and road the trunk full of camping gear, it's obvious that it will take more gas to haul all that good stuff.

We all don't do that on a regular basis so it won't make sense for the EPA to test the car in that scenario.

I've read somewhere that they now test the car with AC and all other electronics on, to further simulate real life driving conditions that's why the 06 Civic was rated @ 40mpg when it came out but two years later, that same Civic was rated @ 38mpg and later 36!

Gotten 47mpg highway on mild hypermiling in my 04 ex with 2 other people and luggage in the car going to the beach on a summer day with ac on half the time on summer tires.

People need to look at the way they drive in my opinion

I completely agree.

I somehow manage 27mpg with every fill up in my wife's Scion tC 5 speed that is modified, has bigger rims then factory wrapped in bigger and wider summer tires!

I imagine i can easily break 30mpg if i put the OEM rims and tires back on which weigh A LOT LESS then the current setup but who wants that? I have to use wider tires to keep the wheels from spinning off the line (FWD + no LSD = sucks!)

Originally Posted By: mpvue
70 is pretty fast, but lots of people don't equate MPG w/ MPH.
I've done road trips in states w/ 70mph (WV, AL, MS) and it's a bit above the 'sweet spot' for my car. my Mazda5 is geared pretty low, and the RPM's are real high at those speeds, MPG's drop way off.

The sweet spot for my 03' Focus....is between 55 and 60. I get between 36 and 38 if I keep those speeds.

In California.... those speeds are not practical on the Intersates (I-5)....and freeways. Everyone seems to be going 75 to 80 and more.

Here in Oregon....the speed limit is pretty well kept by the general public. IMO...people here are a little more law abiding.

Weird how there's a 4mpg difference between the Civic LX and the loaded Civic EX
confused.gif
I have a 2007 Civic EX Auto and barely break the 40mpg barrier on highway trips but then again, i'm not doing 65mph in a 70mph zone
33.gif

I think this test is bogus because they are testing for MPGs in an unrealistic way.

I hate the tree huggers which go -10mph UNDER the speed limit in their little hybrid or some other bucket, trying to get good gas mileage.

mad.gif

So long as they aren't violating the minimum speed limit, I don't see the issue. In some instances, I'll find out that the person I'm driving an hour plus to see will be late. Instead of speeding to get there as quickly as possible only to sit there waiting, I'll adjust the cruise to 60 (65 mph limit) and enjoy the lower level of road noise and +2-3 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back