1999 Saab coolant...flush??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, This regards a 1999 Saab 9-5 2.3 (4 cyl.) with 90K. The Saab blue coolant had been changed at a dealership once before. I cleaned the reservoir bottle for fun and noticed more than superficial filming. There were patches of a thick, firm, jelly-like substance. I know the bottle is a high point where deposits can accumulate. My question is about flushing the system. I have some Prestone flush and was wondering if there's a proven product which is better. Also, What coolant can be substituted for Saab blue coolant? I will flush the system repeatedly, using every chemical known to man, if necessary, until clear. Kira

I'm going to be doing a cooling system flush on my Saab here soon when I have a dry, "warm" day. Mine had been changed in the past when the previous owner had some engine work done and has traditional green at the moment. What I used in my previous Saab, and will put in my current one when I do my flush is Zerex G-05 coolant. It's a cheaper alternative to finding the blue G-48 coolant and works just as well. G-05 can usually be found at Napa.

As for a flush, I have an extra bottle of GM Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner (which I believe is one of the better ones out there, part 1#88861344), which you can get at a GM dealer for under $10. Cleaning out the reservoir is definite a good thing to do, I've heard filling it with water, liquid dish soap and putting small ball bearings or bb's in and shaking works at getting those hard to reach areas.

Make sure to check the condition of your hoses and radiator/reservior (if yours is a pressurized system) cap. Save yourself the trouble later and replace your thermostat while before your put your final fill of new coolant in. Also, do at least two rinses and use distilled water for those, that way when you put your coolant in, it'll be a ratio of coolant and distilled water (to prevent hard water scalling).

Hello, I did this yesterday and feel the parallels are too many to ignore. I was prompted to clean the reservoir as the big first, motivating step. I got "labrador ears" of jelly like dirt out of it. I used coarse sand, soap, Goo-Gone, bleach, paint thinner and denatured alcohol to cut the crud. I found a bottle of Prestone flush and followed directions. Using the radiator's drain cock only, I drained out the gallon+ (which is about 60% of capacity) 8 times. The final 3 with deionized water. The blue coolant, which had been installed as part of a flush at a Saab dealership, was 4.25 years old with only 20K on it. There was no evidence of crud of any kind. There were a few bits of dirt during drain #s 4, when the fluid was clear enough to see through, and 5. I too used G-05 from a NAPA store since it's the accepted substitute, I had a sealed gallon on hand and it works in my V70 too. The only change I can feel is that the heater's temperature control is nearly instantly responsive. Raise the desired temp and the heat is delivered. Lower it and the air discharge drops fast. Now all I have to do is sell this gem of a car. Kira

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back