Where is the oil filter on a 2012 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is a cartridge underneath, that's stupid.

One of the best design aspects of my MBs, BMWs and Saab are the cartridge up top.

Wife's VW has it underneath. If I'm going to mess with that, it might as well be a self-enclosed can, like most cars.

I hope yours was not put on with an Air ratchet like mine was.
Personally I prefer to remove the filter before draining the oil.
Saves a little time.

That's as bad as a back-of-the-block Honda. Probably the same guy. Goes from company to company hiding cabin filters, oil filter locations and rear disk parking brake mechanisms.

I don't get it. It saves four seconds one time at the factory. It takes an extra five minutes to clean up the mess 30 times over the life of the car.

The Toyota vertical cartridge is bad, this is worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

One of the best design aspects of my MBs, BMWs and Saab are the cartridge up top.

Wife's VW has it underneath. If I'm going to mess with that, it might as well be a self-enclosed can, like most cars.

Side mounted, so dependence on ADBV is back!

Originally Posted By: johnachak
My Cadillac and Chevrolet cartridges are both easily accessable from the top.

Only issue with GM placement (my Saab included) is that it's tucked away a bit too tightly.

Works great though. Very fast and clean change.

Changing the oil in this vehicle is not that bad. If you've watched that video, it points out what is what. I didn't watch it all the way through, but it did look like he covered enough to give you some guidance. As far as the filter wrench, I use an adjustable oil filter wrench that comes up too short in diameter. I then took an old serpentine belt and this "filler" gave me just what I needed to spin the plastic housing. By the way, the dealership volunteered the price on that housing one time I was there to get a filter. I assume it cracks often, but he quoted me $35. Good blessings with the change.

It's not actually bad to change, I mean, you have to get under there anyway!
The worst I have changed recently, was a Ford F150.
Rear mounted Hondas were not that bad if you have a strong left hand, you just have toreach around the left side of the engine.

That is a very good instructional video. I just found it hilarious. I mean, first off it looks like he's in a hotel parking lot as a maid walks by, closely followed by what looks like a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart. Oil pan drain bolt was just hand tight from the factory. Oil looked real clean with plenty of life. All topped off with a nice NYC accent. Funny, yet at the same time the topic at hand was well explained and well done.

Thanks for the video "Mustang_Cougar" I couldn't tell if that guy was serious or joking around. Maybe that's why it's a 10,000 mile/1 year OCI so the toyota service guys don't even have to mess with it so often. Maybe I'll leave the factory fill in for a year and see what it looks like, I'd do about 8,000-9,000 miles in that amount of time.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
That is a very good instructional video. I just found it hilarious. I mean, first off it looks like he's in a hotel parking lot as a maid walks by, closely followed by what looks like a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart. Oil pan drain bolt was just hand tight from the factory. Oil looked real clean with plenty of life. All topped off with a nice NYC accent. Funny, yet at the same time the topic at hand was well explained and well done.

Like the part where he says to "do your best" to remove the old O- ring. I think you have to do better than that!

I have a friend that works at a quick lube place and he says they fing hate to see VW's come in. he says they only change their filters about half of the time.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
...I couldn't tell if that guy was serious or joking around.

Yeah, guy was a little intense at times. I think he should have went w/a mohawk and titled it "Travis Bickle Oil Change."

M_C

Good video. I hated the canisters at first. Now I prefer them because you get to see your filter media every change. Much better IMO.

Agreed. Strikes me as an incredibly stupid idea to use a cartridge underneath the car.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Good video. I hated the canisters at first. Now I prefer them because you get to see your filter media every change. Much better IMO.

I agree, I was at walmart I looked at the "fram" filter for my Corolla and it looked really good actually of course it was twice as much as the canister filters but at least there is nothing to hide with just an element.

If I remember correctly, my WalMart had the Fram cartridge filter for my '11 Corolla for about $6.75 plus tax. Check your local Toyota dealership for the OEM filter. Most of the dealerships around me have them from $6.95-ish, but one dealer sells them all day, every day for $3.99. This is my choice, unless the NAPA Gold sale comes on like is being discussed in Sales/Promotions. Someone is reporting a 70% off sale coming up next week. That would bring our usual $6-8 filter down to about $2-3. If so, I'll be loading up.

Originally Posted By: Buick92

I agree, I was at walmart I looked at the "fram" filter for my Corolla and it looked really good actually of course it was twice as much as the canister filters but at least there is nothing to hide with just an element.

Try ebay for factory filters. I was able to get a case of 10 for $29 for the wife's canister elements. They were from a Toyota dealer in California. Another thing to try is allowing the used media to sit and drain for a week. You'll be amazed at how much oil that thing will drip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back