Turbo Cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that modern turbos are water cooled I usually dont unless I just really stressed the engine. If I feel I need to let it cool down probably a minute.

When I had my 2002 VW Jetta, I gave it 1 minute, or nothing during city driving, 2 minutes after highway driving. I crashed the car when it had about 7000 miles, so I don't know how well that worked. I used RTS 5w40 oil.

I give my 2010 Lancer Ralliart almost no extra time after city driving or highway driving. I use Castrol Edge Gold 10w30. I don't feel it will be a problem.

Auto manufacturers used water cooled turbo bearings to eliminate the need for cooldown time. I don't see modern tbo engines with problems so long as synthetic oil is always used. People who buy modern Turbo engines typically don't know or care about what it means, all they know is that they get good power and in some vehicles good fuel efficiency.

The most common turbo car I encounter is the VW Passat, a car not often chosen by people who would know or car to know what turbo means.

However, I have heard that some of the newer Diesel engines in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks now need to let the turbo cool down. I know a few guys that have needed replacement turbos on the Ford 6.0 and some of the newest Cummins engines.

Alot of these newer diesel engines have regeneration so you can come into your parking spot running 1000 degree egt temps and it takes forever to get the temp down to a reasonable level after that so I don't know what your supposed to do about turbo cooldown. Most people aren't gonna sit there for 5 minutes and idle before shutting down.

For long highway drives where the turbo is barely used, no time at all. For most city driving, also no time at all. The only time I let it cool down is after driving quickly uphill to park at the top. That happens 1-2x a week, and it gets a minute of cooldown then. I drive pretty gently most of the time.

It's a water-cooled turbo using full-synthetic dexos1/API SN 5w-30. I'm not too worried.

Zero time. I don't rally slide into my parking space, so the time it takes to slow down and park is more than sufficient.

< Water-cooled turbo

I usually let it idle for a minute or two before I shut down. Also the last few minutes of driving I try to not go into boost, have a boost gauge.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
How long do you Turbo owners idle to cool down your cars
before you shut them off? Thank you

Ours is never cooled down. It also fed dino oil every 3750 miles per car maker.

No issues with 130,000 miles.

Btw what turbo is not water cooled in the last 25 years?

Last edited:
Depended.

No load? By the time I pulled in the drive, good enough.

Tow the boat to Mohave? Let it idle waiting to launch the boat. Launch the boat. Park. Shut off. That's when the air temp was 115F.

Always used DELO 5W40. '01 Cummins.

Bearings are not water cooled the housings are (or at least in every application that I know of). If you are hauling heavy or really have your foot into it for a long time a few minutes to let the turbine cool down is recommended. The mistake most people make is they fly in the drive way and shut off the engine without allowing a small amount of time for the turbo to spool down. If the turbine is still spinning at 30,000+ rpm with no engine oil to feed the bearing's... well that isn't really a good thing. My truck I usually give it 30 seconds to come to rest, I did the same with my TDI. I did have a turbo failure on the Jetta, but it had something to do with the moron that was doing the warranty work.

Last edited:
Isn't there something called a Turbo-Timer for this, to allow the engine t idle then it turns the engine off after a minute or two on its own?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: bobbob
How long do you Turbo owners idle to cool down your cars
before you shut them off? Thank you

Ours is never cooled down. It also fed dino oil every 3750 miles per car maker.

No issues with 130,000 miles.

Btw what turbo is not water cooled in the last 25 years?

-6.0L
-7.3L
-N14
-L10
-M11
-ISB
-ISC
-ISM (except CM876 as of '07)
-ISX (except CM871 as of '07)
-6.4L
-DT360
-DT466
-MAXXFORCE 9-10
-Series 60
...And the list goes on

As for cars, I don't have a clue. Were most of them water cooled? I'm not sure if my Jetta was to be honest, it had warranty so I never touched it.

Zero cool down time in my two turboed cars unless I've driven them hard. Then it's 1-2 minutes. They are both water cooled and fed top shelf oils.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Isn't there something called a Turbo-Timer for this, to allow the engine t idle then it turns the engine off after a minute or two on its own?

Waste of money in nearly every case, IMO

Depends upon use. If tooling around town, I might let it idle as I take off my seatbelt and get ready to get off. If I just pulled off at a highway rest stop, I might go a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back