Good oil filter for BMW x5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good oil filter for 2008 BMW x5 3.0si?

I think I'm going with mobil 1 0w40, unless there is something better.

Last edited:
mann, mahle, hengst. M1 is great, though you can also consider GC or BMW 5w-30.

Wix is good as well. Can you post a link to that Mann failure and the surrounding circumstances? My own experience with Mann has been very good over the years.

Originally Posted By: alwayson
What about Wix?

Googling around I saw a Mann oil filter failure.....

Never seen a Wix for a BMW. do you have a source? I use Mann or Mahle cartridge insert on my 95.

Originally Posted By: Russell
What about Wix?

Googling around I saw a Mann oil filter failure.....

Never seen a Wix for a BMW. do you have a source? I use Mann or Mahle cartridge insert on my 95.

Wix makes one for his 3.0. The number is 57327. It looks exactly like the Mann filter.

They make one for your 525i as well: 51160.

Hi Quattro Pete,

Thank you for your assistance.

Can you point me towards the correct Mahle or Hengst filter for my 2008 BMW X5 3.0si?

I was confused on the cartridge vs spin on.

Last edited:
Can you point me towards the correct Mahle or Hengst filter for my 2008 BMW X5 3.0si?

According to Mahle's website, the correct filter number is OX 387D.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
OEM or MANN.

From what I understand Mann is OEM.

So if I go to a NAPA store, will I get the right Mann filter?

NAPA sells that filter for $15. I am pretty sure you can get it for less from a local BMW parts department. Even cheaper if you buy on-line.

OEM or MANN.

From what I understand Mann is OEM.

So if I go to a NAPA store, will I get the right Mann filter?

I have MANN and BMW filters for my M5 and they are most definitely not the same filter.

I ordered the MANN ones from Bavauto. I'm now buying the BMW ones from a dealer.

I have MANN and BMW filters for my M5 and they are most definitely not the same filter.

Can you post a pic of the BMW filter? Who makes it?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Can you post a pic of the BMW filter? Who makes it?

Sure. My M5 filters (the BMW ones) are made by Hengst. However the ones for my 328i appear to be made by MANN.

Here is a side-by-side of the MANN and OEM BMW (Hengst) filters for the M5. MANN is made in Brazil, Hengst in Germany.

m5filter01.jpg

m5filter02.jpg

m5filter03.jpg

Sure. My M5 filters (the BMW ones) are made by Hengst. However the ones for my 328i appear to be made by MANN.

Exactly, BMW uses both.

Exactly, BMW uses both.

Yes, and the OEM BMW MANN filters are made in Germany.... Not Brazil like the MANN-branded ones for my M5. Not sure what to make of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back