Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Rotella T6 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L engine and 118k miles.
I will be running Rotella T6 5w40 and the remainder of my Wix 51085 filters for a bit. This jeep is used to commute daily to college. 7 miles there and 7 miles back. I occasionally drive elsewhere for longer trips but my driving is mainly in town and short trips. What should I do for an OCI? I will eventually send out a sample to Blackstone for a UOA.

5k easily, maybe 6-7k. It depends on how often you're getting it out on the highway (once a week, every other week, once a month, etc).

Originally Posted By: dparm
5k easily, maybe 6-7k. It depends on how often you're getting it out on the highway (once a week, every other week, once a month, etc).

I probably go on the highway once a week, but its only for 10 miles or so.

I'd say 5-6k. Look for fuel dilution or moisture in the Blackstone report, or ask for a TAN & TBN test.

I'd take the sample from the dipstick tube, or quick drip of the oil drain plug (wear an ove'glove or something LOL- hot oil, is HOT) ....cause 1) you want the oil warmed up for the oil sample, secondly, you only need about 4-6 oz. for the sample, not 6 quarts
smile.gif
So that's what I mean by "quick drip" lol...

But yea, take the sample at 5k.....and then wait for the results, if it looks bad, call it a 5k OCI, if it looks OK, go to 8k.....and resample....or [censored], just drain it, and call it a day
smile.gif

Easily 6k to 7.5k IMO, no problem. Getting a UOA is a good idea, that will eliminate many doubts.

Sounds good.
thumbsup2.gif
I'll do a UOA with TBN after 5k miles. I'm trying to consolidate my oil stash to only a few brands. Rotella seems to work well in both my jeep and outdoor power equipment.

Be aware: this Jeep may have the dreaded "0331" cylinder head! The early distributorless-ignition 4.0's (1999-early 2001) had it, and it has a cracking problem. There are usually only two indications: the most common is disappearing coolant with no indication of a leak. SOmetimes, looking in the oil filler will show glop between the #3 and #4 cylinders. There is almost never any external leakage! The coolant leaks into the oil pan.

how come you guy recomment oil change by miles, and not by month ? his driving condition is very similar to mine. and Im going to use T6 on next oil change. If I go by miles 5000-6000 miles, it would take closer to a years for me.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Be aware: this Jeep may have the dreaded "0331" cylinder head! The early distributorless-ignition 4.0's (1999-early 2001) had it, and it has a cracking problem. There are usually only two indications: the most common is disappearing coolant with no indication of a leak. SOmetimes, looking in the oil filler will show glop between the #3 and #4 cylinders. There is almost never any external leakage! The coolant leaks into the oil pan.

I've installed an Alabama Cylinder head on my Jeep which has the improved casting.
thumbsup2.gif

My mom's 4.0 gets most 3 mile trips to work and back, and I've been letting it go 5k on T6. It usually smells a bit gassy if she hasn't taken a highway run in a week or 2, but I've never seen a sign of moisture in the oil. I'd go 6k and do a UOA to see where you stand, 7k or so will probably be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back