Oil suggestions on a V6 Dodge Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I have been lurking around the forum for a while and finally decide to join today! My car is a v6 dodge charger and I want to hear some suggestions on which oil brands to use.

So some info of my situation.

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Charger SXT, 3.5L V6 engine. Car has 24.5k miles now.

User manual recommend oil: 10W30 API. Suggested to change every 6000 mile or 6 months

Driving style: 95% city driving with speeds lower than 45mph. lots of stop and go. Drive quite easy on the car.

Gas used: usually use Chevron 92 grade gas

Modifications: cold air intake, predator 91 tune, dual exhaust.

I have been using royal purple 10w30 since my first oil change. Havent notice any great improvement over the stock mobil1 oil. I used RP oil since many members at my charger forum suggested it. I change oil every 5000~5500 miles. As stated I do mostly city driving so I am not sure RP is the best oil for me.

Personally I dont mind paying more as long as I know my investment is worth it. I prefer online shopping since most local stores dont have competitive price.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
I think any off-the-shelf 5w30 would work. The B&M stores always have oil change specials (5 qt + filter for $30). Pretty hard to beat that. Pennzoil Ultra is well regarded around here, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability gets the nod for best value.

RP 10w30 is a fine oil and you can certainly keep using it. I think Pep Boys has a coupon special right now for 5 qt + RP filter for $35.

And on the contrary, lots of low-speed city driving is actually much harder on the car than highway driving.

Yeah. I already know that city driving is the hardest on the entire drivetrain.

What do u guys think of RP high performance oil? They also have it for 10w30. Is that any good over regular RP? Reason I am asking is I will be installed force induction on my v6 soon. Some people told me I need better oil for a force inducted engine. That guy suggest me doing a 12.5w38 oil. It will be a custom blend. I am not sure whether u guys ever heard of it or not. It is called Quantum Blue, made by a company named BND Automotive.

If you're referring to the HPS line, it's basically their "older" formula. Also very good.

I think you will be fine with RP 10w30 even on the forced induction since it's such a stout oil. Maybe 10w40 if its a very extreme FI setup -- only way to tell is with an oil pressure gauge.

I wouldn't bother with the quantum blue. I just can't see a 12.5w38 oil doing anything beneficial. As for the 10w30 recommendation, 5w30 will work fine. Chrysler specs 10w30 in several of its vehicles and im not even sure why as it's for the most part an obsolete grade.

For the oil, any good synthetic top shelf oil will do. PP, Ultra, RP, Mobil 1, Amsoil if you have an Oreilly's in the area. That engine will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back