amsoil HDD 5-30 users please check in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about switching over to amsoil HDD 5-30 diesel oil and would like some feed back on those who use it. Things like climate, altitude, towing and how much, just the actual conditions you use this oil. Any information you could give me would be great. Good, Bad, Ugly. I'm not interested in speculation or educated guesses.

My truck is a deleted 2009 Dodge Cummins 6.7 so soot loading is not a concern.

I entered amsoil HDD 5-30 in the search function and of course every thread ever posted on BOB came up. Read threads for hours that didn't even have the info I was looking for.

Last edited:
At this point It's not about me or my situation. I want real world experience from those who have used it. I'm educated in mechanics and engines. I'm just interested in end user reports. From that information I'll decide if this product is right for me.

I have not used it, but have used numerous other Amsoil products for 17 years. I'm sure it's pretty hard to beat. In other words I don't think Rotella T6 etc are in the same class. But you won't really know until you try it.

It's in my '07 Powerstroke right now, about 4,000 miles on it and plan to go about 4,500 more before I change it with UOA. This is my first run of HDD and it's doing well so far. I tow a 33' toy hauler a couple weekends a month and haven't noticed any oil related problems. I thought it might start using some oil since HDD is thinner than what I've been running, but no problems there. I am still undecided about HDD in the heat of summer, I guess I'll let the UOA I will do in another couple months help me decide.

Powerstrokes have very specific running issues when you use a poort oil and this oil passes that test, but then again I drained Amsoil 5w40 to put this in. Sorry I don't have more.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
It's in my '07 Powerstroke right now, about 4,000 miles on it and plan to go about 4,500 more before I change it with UOA. This is my first run of HDD and it's doing well so far. I tow a 33' toy hauler a couple weekends a month and haven't noticed any oil related problems. I thought it might start using some oil since HDD is thinner than what I've been running, but no problems there. I am still undecided about HDD in the heat of summer, I guess I'll let the UOA I will do in another couple months help me decide.

Powerstrokes have very specific running issues when you use a poort oil and this oil passes that test, but then again I drained Amsoil 5w40 to put this in. Sorry I don't have more.

Thanks for the reply.

With the numbers I see, makes me wonder how good it really is. If you looking for a 30 weight, why not Rotella T5? I've seen many UOA with T5 with great results.

Just a cheaper option....

Kevin

The 5w30 HDD is good oil, though I've heard instances where it thickens at some point. And there are others that will tell you the Amsoil ACD 10w30 provides better results than the 5w30 HDD. I haven't seen any of this verified, but it looks likt the ACD 10w30 diesel oil may be a tad thinner than the HDD, but may resist shearing and provide better protection since it has no VII improvers.

The ACD 10w30 diesel oil may be the better choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KevinsDMAX
With the numbers I see, makes me wonder how good it really is. If you looking for a 30 weight, why not Rotella T5? I've seen many UOA with T5 with great results.

Just a cheaper option....

Kevin

^^^ agreed....those UOAs posted before are nothing to get too excited about (I mean that both positively and negatively).

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
.those UOAs posted before are nothing to get too excited about (I mean that both positively and negatively).

I've not chimed in because naturally I have a huge bias. Carry on, but here's my 0.02$

First of all this engine calls for a 5W-40. I would have a hard time not using DEO 5W-40 here, but I see the need to go with a 5W-30, at least during the colder months.

The two UOA's are hardly representative of much, including the overall performance of HDD. One is fairly new with "2 cycle oil, PS, Lucas and a small amount of MMO." used as a fuel additive. The other may indeed by just the oil is on the low viscosity side for the engine, but the potassium spike is interesting. No one seemed to mention these things - besides looking at just two hand picked UOA's seems like an odd way to choose a motor oil, but here's one to balance out those two
grin2.gif
No bypass:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2332757

Hence why I said those uoas, not the motor oil.
smile.gif
beside cummins engines are prone to shed iron at times. When I had mine it preferred a 15w40 to other grades.

I've not chimed in because I don't use it. But if it's OK for Paul, buster, oilboy123, Powerstroke, KevinsDmax and others, then it's OK for me, right?

I see nothing inherrently "wrong" with using the HDD product over a 40 grade. The concern over thinner HDEOs is often way overblown. Those that use the lighter grades (dino's and syn's) and have done UOAs (Dmaxs, ISBs, PSDs) show the fears are unfounded.

I would caution all of us to not jump to conclusions here. He mentioned he is interested in "switching over" but we have no idea of what he's currently using (dino, semi, syn? 40 grade, 30 grade?)

Let's look at his statement a bit closer:
Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
At this point It's not about me or my situation. I want real world experience from those who have used it. I'm educated in mechanics and engines. I'm just interested in end user reports. From that information I'll decide if this product is right for me.

It's not about him or his situation? So, we cannot ask about his conditions and circumstances, but then he wants to limit us to not answering if we don't use HDD? That's kind of short sighted in my opinion. What is his ultimate goal? Is he curious about all syns in general? No. Is he curious about 40 grades? No. Is he curious about dinos? No. He asked about one topic; HDD. Why? Seems like he's already made up his mind. But he doesn't want us to know anything about how he's going to use it. He indicates that he's been around engines and mechanics; fine. He's been a member here for nearly 5 years. He should know how this works by now. He should know the topic of "which oil is best" is moot; they all perform well in most any application. I would remind him, and the rest of you, that the success or failure of any lube is predicated on it's proper use, and not abuse or mis-application. The lube is only one part of the overall maintenance program.

Let's suppose there are a few HDD users that chime in, and they state how great HDD is when used in harsh conditions; fine - it's likely true and I would believe those statements. But I could chime in about how my dino 10w-30 did an outstanding job under brutal conditions as well. Oh - but wait; he's not interested in that.

If we were true BITOGers, we'd press him for more details. We know nothing of his OCI plan, nothing much about his true use, and zero about his environment. Let's be honest about his stated location; "cold winters, hot summers" means absolutely zilch. While I live in IN, I have visited MN in the dead-cold of winter. I take my summer vacations in the searing heat of the west each summer. His statement is nothing but ambiguous. In Florida, 40 deg F is "cold", but our member Johnny would tell you that he's still wearing shorts in WI at those temps. "Cold" and "hot" are words with little meaning unless quantified. Here's what Pablo said:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I would have a hard time not using DEO 5W-40 here, but I see the need to go with a 5W-30, at least during the colder months.

There is nothing in this thread to indicate how cold is "cold". Paul, perhaps you know the OP from other conversations and therefore where he lives, but the rest of us have no idea. Just how cold is "cold" in winter? How hot is "hot" in summer? Pablo mentions a "need" for 5w-30; how cold is it?

So - in short, few of us have any ability to comment, given the limitations he's put forth. He wants to hear from people who use HDD, and the conditions they operate under. OK - that rules most all of us out. Too bad, because some of us have some relevant experiences that might help him make some decisions, while we don't use HDD.

If he WANTS to use it, I see nothing wrong with it. It might be a huge waste of his money, it may not. But it's his choice. Like most people here, he's chosen his preconcieved lube first, and then he's going to try to cram it into his maintenance plan based upon a limited view of other people's experiences. If he were really interested in making a good lube choice, he'd tell us all about his operational parameters, and then seek out people who operate in similar conditions, and then ask about their lube choices and the data that supports those decisions. Rather, I supsect he's just about convinced himself that he's onto the "best" lube ever known to mankind, and wants to hear about other people who use the same oil, to justify the expenditure. This is, IMO, a thinly veiled "what's the best oil" thread, but it's been sneaked in sideways and disguised.

The engine itself will be just fine with HDD, or just about any other decent HDEO lube for that matter, as long as you use it within it's capabilities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ccdhowell

Can I have it after you drain it?

^^^^^ bahahahahahahahahahaha!!! ^^^^^ sigh.....

yeah, why drain perfectly good oil? And I agree that asking about one oil while not considering others and giving a "real world" view of his current conditions makes this whole question a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back