2012 Chrysler 200 First Oil Change - Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always assumed synthetic is always superior until I found this board where conventional is still recommended at times.

Car gets driven rather evenly with mix of short (3-10 miles) and long (40-60 mile) trips.

Michigan weather.

It is the 2.4L I4.

It's my first new car so I want it to have optimal maintenance from the onset.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
i really like mobil one 0-20, it is 32.99 with a great m1 oil filter thrown in at autozone...i like mobil super or pzl too for regular oil but any modern oil would work well

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Going to be in a decent amount of stop and go traffic?

During winter my work hours run later so yeah a fair amount in the commute home during rush hour for a few months out of the year.

Rest of the year very minimal on stop/go as I start/end earlier.

If your engine calls for a 20wt oil then M1 0-20 will be fine. I use it in my Duratech I4s with success.

Hi stringbean, I have the same motor in my Sebring. I live in a warmer climate during winter. Good advice on the 0w weight oils, especially for winter. You can use either 0w or 5w for summer. Both synthetic and conventional oils will work fine and give good service. The key is good regular ongoing oil changes with good products. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Castrol Edge are all fine synthetics. You might also want to look at a website by Petroleum Quality Institute of America for their analysis of conventional oils. It has a little bit of interesting info. Enjoy the new ride.
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: stringbean00
Always assumed synthetic is always superior until I found this board where conventional is still recommended at times.

Car gets driven rather evenly with mix of short (3-10 miles) and long (40-60 mile) trips.

Michigan weather.

It is the 2.4L I4.

It's my first new car so I want it to have optimal maintenance from the onset.

Thanks for any advice.

If you want optimal maintenance I recommend 5W 20. Pennzoil Platinum for synthetic or Pennzoil Conventional your choice, Pennzoil is the factory fill for your vehicle. 5W 20 is recommend per the owners manual be cautious when others recommend other viscosity's of oil none of us are smarter than the engineers who built the vehicle, and of course you will not want to have warranty conflicts if a problem arises from using an other than recommended viscosity of oil.

Toto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back