Mobil 1 5W/30, 10,200mi, 2010 F150 4.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 5W/30, 10,200mi, 2010 F150 4.6L. Oil in service 8 months. No added oil. Filter; MC FL820s, No filter change. K&N air filter. Moderate driving style with 40% hwy, 60% town / city. No towing.

Blackstone Comment;
"It looks like the Triton V8 in your F150 had no trouble with this 10,200-mile oil run. Our universal averages show typical wear for this type of engine after just 4900 miles on the oil, and since iron tracks up with mileage, this level is pretty close to what it should be (on a per-mile basis). all other metals are average, so we don't see any problems developing in this engine. There are no contaminates or other physical issues with the oil, and the TBN was still good at 3.0, showing plenty of active additive (1.0 is low), so try for 12,000 miles next oil. Nice!"

Code:

OIL M1 5w/30

MILES IN USE 10,200mi

MILES 25,000mi

SAMPLE TAKEN 02/11/2012 Univ Avg;

ALUMINUM 4 3

CHROMIUM 2 1

IRON 30 14

COPPER 7 5

LEAD 0 2

TIN 1 1

MOLYBDENUM 90 61

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 1 2

SILVER 1 1

BORON 44 56

SILICON 15 15

SODIUM 3 29

CALCIUM 1278 2185

MAGNESIUM 604 105

PHOSPHORUS 662 703

ZINC 766 843

BARIUM 0 1

INSOLUBLES 0.3%

WATER 0%

FLASHPOINT ºF 440

SUS VIS 210ºF 57.0

cSt @ 212ºF 9.36

Fuel
TBN 3.0

I concur; very good results. I would also agree with 12k mile OCI, and then see how far from there. Contaminations low, wear low, TBN and FP high. Run it longer!

Not that it matters to me, but how far are you willing to extend the OCI versus warranty concerns?

The oil held up VERY well! Good strong TBN for the miles, high FP, and contaminant levels are low.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I concur; very good results. I would also agree with 12k mile OCI, and then see how far from there. Contaminations low, wear low, TBN and FP high. Run it longer!

Not that it matters to me, but how far are you willing to extend the OCI versus warranty concerns?

Good question. I'm not worried about warranty concerns due to how well this OA did.

I'm now running Mobil 1 0w/40. My my goal is 15k miles. I'm going to either:
1- Pull a sample at 10k and 15k (without filter change) or
2- Change filter at 7500 miles with samples taken at 10k and 15k.

Any thoughts?

Nice results. The SN Mobil 1 is holding up very well.

Why not use Mobil 1 EP 5w30?

Originally Posted By: 1medic
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Good question. I'm not worried about warranty concerns due to how well this OA did.

I'm now running Mobil 1 0w/40. My my goal is 15k miles. I'm going to either:
1- Pull a sample at 10k and 15k (without filter change) or
2- Change filter at 7500 miles with samples taken at 10k and 15k.

Any thoughts?

eusa_clap.gif

I don't see a reason for a filter change. The M1 (and other extended drain filters) are designed to go the distance. If your goal is 15k miles, M1 will get you there.

Unless you're trying to compare the oils back to back, a 10k sample would be pointless. Pull it @ 12k and see how she does, without draining the sump. Then if the results come back looking good, continue further.

Originally Posted By: buster

I have not used M1 EP because I want to see how robust standard M1 is. I will used M1 EP next. I'm using 0w/40 because I found it cheap and bought quite a bit (for my VW).

Originally Posted By: 1medic
Originally Posted By: buster

I have not used M1 EP because I want to see how robust standard M1 is. I will used M1 EP next. I'm using 0w/40 because I found it cheap and bought quite a bit (for my VW).

Gotcha....makes sense.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if they did carry a 5w20 would you use it?

No I would not. I do not subscribe to Ford's 5w/20 diet. Now, we don't need to start a debate here. It's all been discussed here as well as many other forums. I like to show what can be done outside of conventional comfort levels. I'm not worried about "warranty issues" because I'm very confident I will not suffer an engine loss due to not running 5w/20.

With cSt at 9.36, it's just barely in 30w territory, still overall it looks very good...

I'm doing similar with a 50K mile '98 Grand Marquis, will pull a sample around 9K miles(now at 7500)...

It looks like a good UOA. There have been 3 modulator's UOA'S on F150's this week. On three different oils this one is around 3,000 miles longer. There is a lot of data that can be taken and used for the 4.6 and 5.4 applications.

Here we go again.....

Why on earth would you risk having warranty problem on a newer Ford vehicle that calls for 5W-20 oil, changed at 7500-mile intervals?

(offense removed - mod) ...but don't worry, you're not alone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Here we go again.....

Why on earth would you risk having warranty problem on a newer Ford vehicle that calls for 5W-20 oil, changed at 7500-mile intervals?

You sir, are an idiot...but don't worry, you're not alone!

Each is his is own addyguy. Also I do not think Ford is too concerned about the power train warranty at least in my experience. I have warranty work twice provided by Ford dealers and neither asked for my paper work. I think after the techs see that the factory filter has been replaced and every other tale tail sign that the motor has been maintained the tech just goes to work. I have had warranty work done by the big three and Ford has been the best experience in my case by far. No questions were asked and the techs were very informative on what caused both problems and Ford picked up the bill both times. This is a lot better experience I have had from both GM and Chrysler.

I forgot to add I do not recommend that anyone extend their OCI beyond the manufacture's recommendation during anyone's warranty period. I also follow this advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back