New 20 offerings from Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Well you might have reservations on the latest crop of ultra high VI 0W-20 oils but I don't nor do the OEMs that specify them.
No sir, i have no reservations at whatsoever! However we must not assume that the thinner HTHS 0w-20 oils are universally better than the heavier HTHS 0w20 oils. Tear-down reports on large sample size of engines using with the 0w20 oils is still a long way from now.
Hence I asked for the VII's details if anyone has here...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Suggest you do the same. Last time I talked with Amsoil they told me the XL line was made with Group III base stocks.
Truth.
Is the Group III base stocks Amsoil oil equal to the Amsoil PAO base stock oil, in oil life, fuel economy and engine protection?

Oil life - no the Amsoil's group IV and V oils are designed for a longer use life.
Fuel economy - no distinguishable difference.
Engine protection - no distinguishable difference, depending on application when comparing the PCMO's.
Is the additive package deliberately kept stronger for the IV and V oils than the group II / III+ ?
Exactly why is oil life longer for the group IV and V oils compared to the group III / III+ oils ?

Is the additive package deliberately kept stronger for the IV and V oils than the group II / III+ ?
Exactly why is oil life longer for the group IV and V oils compared to the group III / III+ oils ?

1) Yes because they are extended drain oils. But even the Amsoil XL oils have a "stronger" additive package than the OE oils.

2) Base oil holds up longer, lower NOACK and different additive package.

1) Yes because they are extended drain oils. But even the Amsoil XL oils have a "stronger" additive package than the OE oils.
2) Base oil holds up longer, lower NOACK and different additive package.
So is it true that the group IV & V base oils hold up better and longer than the best available group III & III+ base oils ?
Does this make Amsoil's group IV & V based engine oils most economical in extended drain service ?

So is it true that the group IV & V base oils hold up better and longer than the best available group III & III+ base oils ?
Does this make Amsoil's group IV & V based engine oils most economical in extended drain service ?

Yes. The group III+ oils are very good, but for extended drains true synthetic PAO and esters last the longest.

It all depends on your drain interval. But yes, especially if you buy the Amsoil at PC prices.

I would expect more if I'm going to pay for a premium product.

NOACK doesn't tell you about the quality of the PAO. PAO and Group III's vary in quality. I believe Amsoil uses very high quality base oils, but I would not assume they are any higher quality.

Their army of dealers really exaggerate a lot, which is unfortunate. The product is quality though from what I have seen, but I would not just assume you really know the quality of the base oils. That goes for any oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back