Carquest starters and alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with carquest's starters and alternators.
Are they any better than the other parts retailers, or is it marketing only. Who remanufactures them??

If you are going for a rebuilt, stick with Denso (or Bosch - my mechanic uses Bosch and he says they don't have any comebacks.)

I find it's always hit and miss.
Sometimes you get a good reman, sometimes you don't.
It's the chance you take when spending less.
My last Napa reman was perfect. Quality job and it worked perfect (starter)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you are going for a rebuilt, stick with Denso (or Bosch - my mechanic uses Bosch and he says they don't have any comebacks.)

Go with Bosch.They have a stellar reputation.

Among the store-brand rebuilts, I'd put Carquest and Napa near the top. Autozone is dead last... their brand should be "Deadlast" instead of "Duralast."

But FAR better to look for a local electric motor, starter, generator, and alternator rebuilding shop if you can find one. It will take a day or two, the warranty will be 30 or 90 days instead of "lifetime," but the product will actually last a heck of a lot longer because they'll pick the right parts out of the bin for YOUR alternator instead of mixing and matching, and they'll do the work like they care what they're doing.

NAPAs Rayloc rebuilt line was imfamous years back for the return rate...
The problem I have with any rebuilt is the fact that a lot of things dont get replaced because it isnt bad AT the time of the rebuild,but basically you are buying a semi-used part.

back several years ago the carquest rotating electric was nothing but comeback after comeback.
Then again, it really depends on the person doing the rebuild.

as for Napa.. I have no experience with them.

for AZ.. their alternators have "world class bearings" they're never supposed to fail. (propaganda training at its best!)

I prefer Denso whenever possible.. the extra few dollars for one is very worth the piece of mind!

Good to know.

I recently got a Denso starter and a Bosch alternator in my Subaru legacy.

Originally Posted By: EricF

for AZ.. their alternators have "world class bearings" they're never supposed to fail. (propaganda training at its best!)

3rd world? (china)

I just found out that on Nippon Denso starter, the solenoid contacts wear out but those are replaceable quite easily once the starter is out. It is highly recommended to do that rather than buying an off-brand rebuilt one. Even dealer sells the solenoid kit or contacts themselves could be purchased online cheaply.

I suspect my 99 Camry is needing that repair as twice in the last month, the starter would not spin.

- Vikas

Like many others, I bring my electicals to the local guy who rebuilds your own part. One Sunday last Fall I needed an alternator on a Sunday. Only place that had one was AAP-I put the AAP one in, and surprise, no problems, yet. I didn't return the core, I'm bringing that over to the local dude to rebuild, and give AAP back their Alternator as the core---it's got to get a lot warmer first though

I just found out that on Nippon Denso starter, the solenoid contacts wear out but those are replaceable quite easily once the starter is out. It is highly recommended to do that rather than buying an off-brand rebuilt one. Even dealer sells the solenoid kit or contacts themselves could be purchased online cheaply.

I suspect my 99 Camry is needing that repair as twice in the last month, the starter would not spin.

- Vikas

Maybe...
My dad had a 97 Lexus ES300 with one dead coil in the starter. Such a kit wouldn't work.

Anyway, since Carquest sells Denso, I would buy that, since they made a great alternator to begin with.

Local rebuilders Do not have the expertise in all makes models etc... IMO a rebuilt unit from any major parts store is going to be a better quality and have warranty support.

^It's still a variable. A local guy that is 'pro' using good replacement parts for rebuilds can easily match or exceed what a reman unit with warranty is going to have. Usually, they aren't backed by super long warranties either, unlike batteries...so, hey if you got a 1 year or some sort of warranty on the labor out of a reman pro that's a plus.

It's all about the technician then. Hey, he could be a former line worker, just sayin'!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back