Which VW 504/507 compliant oil would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to stock up on oil for my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI (the common rail CJAA engine). All of the following meet 504 00 / 507 00 specifications, but the prices vary:

Total Total Quartz Ineo +$0
Pentosin Pento Super Performance III +$4
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 +$5
Castrol SLX Gold (factory fill) +$14
Mobil 1 ESP +$14

Is there any good reason to go for the Castrol or Mobil? From what I've read, the 504/507 oils don't offer the best wear protection and the TBN isn't very high to begin with.

Any advice is much appreciated.

If I understand the standard correctly, it doesn't matter which brand you use. However, both the Castrol and Mobil 1 are known to be good for your TDI. However, I am prejudiced against Castrol in general and would not buy their oil.

The wear problem with the 507 oils is for my car, not yours. Mine is a PD and requires a thicker oil, according to conventional wisdom. If I had a new TDI I would be using the recommended oil, but a more frequent than 10K OCI.

I thought PepBoys had the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP for under $ 10 a liter.

M1 5w-30 meeting those specs (the ESP) can be found at Pep Boys. Id try to get that, stocking up when there are sales specials.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
and the TBN isn't very high to begin with.

The low TBN of low-SAPs oils is mainly an issue in gasoline applications, due to US gasoline not being ultra low sulfur. I think it's not a problem in diesel applications.

I vote for the Mobil 1 ESP available at Pep Boys as well. Easy peasy.

You have a 2012 - aren't the first three changes free at the dealer?

You could also see which on your list have MB 229.51 approval. This spec along with 507 together are arguably the most stringent.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I vote for the Mobil 1 ESP available at Pep Boys as well. Easy peasy.

You have a 2012 - aren't the first three changes free at the dealer?

Yes, but I keep reading horror stories about the wrong type and wrong amount of oil being used by dealers, and my dealer in particular. If I can't absolutely ensure that they're using the right stuff (i.e. watch them pour it), I'd rather do it myself - or just bring them them my oil of choice.

Yes, but I keep reading horror stories about the wrong type and wrong amount of oil being used by dealers, and my dealer in particular.

I don't blame you. Included maintenance packages aren't a favourable feature if I'm buying. I'd rather not have them.

Find a good indie shop. Or just explain to the service writer that you're concerned about the incorrect oil being added, and you'd like to watch as he puts the oil in the car to be absolutely certain. If you are considerate when you ask, I don't think they'll say no.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
and the TBN isn't very high to begin with.

The low TBN of low-SAPs oils is mainly an issue in gasoline applications, due to US gasoline not being ultra low sulfur. I think it's not a problem in diesel applications.

This is correct. I have not seen any trend in UOA with 507 oils in CR diesels with TBN depletion.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
You could also see which on your list have MB 229.51 approval. This spec along with 507 together are arguably the most stringent.

Not sure about the Euro oils, but the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 has both 507 and MB 229.51.

My Touareg TDI is sitting at 35,000 and I just used the final, free oil change from VW. I was a really smart boy when I bought the vehicle, as I told the sales person (right before signing the purchase agreement)..."I will buy this VW, if you will give me a free oil change." Of course he privided me with a "free oil change card" and I made them write on the card, "For TDI Touareg". That card is worth $149, as that's the charge for an oil change on a TDI Touareg.

But, after the 40k OCI.....I will be in the same boat.....doing my oil changes on my dime and my own labor.

I am leaning to the Mobil 1 ESP at Pepboys..... I have been watching for a sale on this oil for the past year and haven't found it. (Yes, they have put Mobil 1 on sale, but would not honor the price for ESP.)

Hope a sale will happen for ESP in the next 6 months before I have to do my first oil change.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I am leaning to the Mobil 1 ESP at Pepboys..... I have been watching for a sale on this oil for the past year and haven't found it. (Yes, they have put Mobil 1 on sale, but would not honor the price for ESP.)

Hope a sale will happen for ESP in the next 6 months before I have to do my first oil change.
I run into same thing. ESP is never on sale.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I run into same thing. ESP is never on sale.

Me three
smile.gif
. I have been watching ESP at Pep Boys since October 2008 and have yet to see a sale.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back