QSUD 5w30; 209/361/502 miles; 2011 Caddy 3.0L DI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Cadillac SRX, 3.0L DI HFV6 (LF1), 6 quart capacity, generally driven 10 miles one way to and from work mostly on the interstate in moderate climate with a few 30 degree F mornings. Pure One filter. Tested by Polaris Lab in Atlanta. Oil changed shortly after last sample. Sample results taken to Cadillac dealer service department who contacted GM. They essentially said car just needed to be driven more. I sure am happy that it has a 5 year 100,000 drive train warranty but if I can't get the fuel dilution under control without a lot of unnecessary driving I doubt I will have it that long.

OIL QSUD 5W/30 (SM/GF-4)
MILES IN USE 209/361/502 miles
MILES ON UNIT AT SAMPLE 5,648/5,800/5,941 miles
SAMPLE TAKEN 1-6-2012/1-13-2012/1-20-2012

ALUMINUM 0/0/3
CHROMIUM 0/0/0
IRON 2/3/4
COPPER 4/5/6
LEAD 0/0/0
TIN 0/0/0
MOLYBDENUM 51/50/50
NICKEL 0/0/0
MANGANESE 0/0/0
SILVER 0/0/0
TITANIUM 0/0/0
POTASSIUM 0/0/2
BORON 3/4/4
SILICON 10/11/12
SODIUM 1/0/0
CALCIUM 2368/2226/2402
MAGNESIUM 8/9/9
PHOSPHORUS 672/657/647
ZINC 767/747/750

WATER
SOOT
FUEL >5% ***/>5% ***/>5% ***

cSt @ 100ºC 8.8 */8.3 **/8.5 **

OXIDATION 9/9/9

NITRATION 10/11/12

BASE NUMBER 6.65/6.99/6.57

Polaris flags:
* = Normal (on the upside toward Abnormal)
** = Abnormal
*** = Critical

Yeah, my Grandpa's 2010 CTS with the 3.0L had 4%fuel last sample. When it was taken OLM said 30% and it had 7k on the oil. I had just driven it about 20 miles then pulled in the garage to do the change as well. Im curious about the next one. It will probably be pretty bad for fuel. Much more in town driving.

What was the remaining OLM%?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Why are you changing at such short intervals?

Only changed after the last sample. Wanted to get non-fuel diluted oil in for a road trip and the maintenance plan on the vehicle covered the cost of the change.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
... What was the remaining OLM%?

It was at 9% but there had been an accidental reset early on and two oil changes where it wasn't reset. Had to let it run down to a point where Cadillac would pay for one.

Makes me slightly concerned about our nox's 3.0L DI engine as far as fuel dilution is concerned. The OLM is programmed for max 5k OCI, but I dunno. She does even shorter trips, 3-4 miles each way everyday, 20-40 miles on the weekends depending on if/where we go. I mean, wear looks low, but that's a lot of fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Makes me slightly concerned about our nox's 3.0L DI engine as far as fuel dilution is concerned. ...

I would have it tested. Three to four mile trips are probably a recipe for dilution. I'm not so sure 20 to 40 miles could evaporate as much gas as is apparently in mine. Each of these three samples represents one week of use. Either the lab is miscalculating the fuel percentage (I would think not as they are consistent and even on the first sample the smell of gasoline was overpowering) or this engine (mine, at least) has a problem other than not being driven enough. As strange as it sounds, smell the oil on your dipstick. That's how I first noticed it. If it is bad dilution there will be no doubt that you are smelling gas and not just motor oil.

Originally Posted By: doyall
Makes me slightly concerned about our nox's 3.0L DI engine as far as fuel dilution is concerned. ...

I would have it tested. Three to four mile trips are probably a recipe for dilution. I'm not so sure 20 to 40 miles could evaporate as much gas as is apparently in mine. Each of these three samples represents one week of use. Either the lab is miscalculating the fuel percentage (I would think not as they are consistent and even on the first sample the smell of gasoline was overpowering) or this engine (mine, at least) has a problem other than not being driven enough. As strange as it sounds, smell the oil on your dipstick. That's how I first noticed it. If it is bad dilution there will be no doubt that you are smelling gas and not just motor oil.

Something is wrong, wrong, WRONG! with an engine that new, under warranty, with that much fuel in the oil.

I would load up copies of the paperwork and have the Stealership take care of the problem.

What was the Oil Monitor reading? I'd be concerned about not getting this well-docummented in the Warranty records. Let GM spend the money and time to determine if there is a problem with your vehicle or whether the OA's are way off base.

Just IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
...I would load up copies of the paperwork and have the Stealership take care of the problem. ...

I am in the process of doing exactly that. Will be making my second trip on Thursday.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Originally Posted By: doyall

Something is wrong, wrong, WRONG! with an engine that new, under warranty, with that much fuel in the oil.

I would load up copies of the paperwork and have the Stealership take care of the problem.

What was the Oil Monitor reading? I'd be concerned about not getting this well-docummented in the Warranty records. Let GM spend the money and time to determine if there is a problem with your vehicle or whether the OA's are way off base.

Just IMHO.

Yeah but this very common on GM'S DI engines.

The fuel is high and the viscosity is low, but the wear metals aren't bad for a GM engine that is still breaking in. I'd run the thickest approved oil that I could, and let it be for 3,000.

5 year 100K mile warranty? Why worry? Just drive the thing and maintain it IAW manufacturer recommendations.

Then again, the fuel dilution on my old CX-7 kinda gave me the creeps so I don't have that anymore, so I feel where you are coming from, haha.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
...I'd run the thickest approved oil that I could, and let it be for 3,000.

I have just about resigned myself to that eventuality.

Originally Posted By: WANG
5 year 100K mile warranty? Why worry? ...

I was kind of hoping there would be an engine left at 100K.

If you're willing to go out of spec, M1 0w40 might be a good one to run. it will shear back to a 30, but that won't hurt in your application. It's pretty warm in Lower Alabama. I was in Mobile for a couple of days around Christmastime, everyone was complaining about the cold and it was 55 degrees. lol...

Originally Posted By: Brons2
... M1 0w40 might be a good one to run. ...

Seems like M1 ESP 0w-40 is actually approved for use in the HFV6 SIDI engines in Europe as it is dexos2 licensed so there appears to be no need to worry about anything except warranty considerations (with that much dilution it might be difficult to determine what the oil was to begin with) and a (most likely) imperceptible decrease in fuel economy. Found this on the GM Tech Link (sandyblogs.com) site:

"dexos Classifications

The dexos specification includes two classifications.

GM will require dexos1 for global factory fill in spark ignited engines worldwide and service fill for gasoline engines worldwide, except in Europe. It will replace the GM6094M, GM4718M and GM-LL-A-025 specifications for most GM gasoline engines.

dexos2 was introduced in Europe late last year for diesel engines as well as a service fill for gasoline engines. It replaces the GM-LL-B-025 and GM-LL-A-025 (in Europe) specifications."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back