2004 Monte Carlo 3.8 - Oil Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the oil capacity of 2004 Monte Carlo 3.8? I don't have access to the manual.

Thanks,
Rod

4.3 quarts. I would get it on ramps and drain it well , fill the new oil filter and put in 4 quarts. Back it off the ramps and with the car level check the stick and see how much more you need to add to get the stick to full.

I have a 3.8 in a Buick I have always put in the 5 quart jug with a filter change. Are you using the small or slightly longer filter?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I own a 2004 Impala SS 3.8 engine and 4.5 quarts of oil with the correct oil filter, takes it right to the full line...

My experience has been the same as Boss302fan. While things could differ across the various 3800 series and the particular vehicles they're in, 4.5 quarts was always the right amount for me in the past in my 90 Regal, 98 Grand Prix, and 99 Grand Prix.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Are you using the small or slightly longer filter?

I am using the Microguard filter I got with the Orielly Mobile 5000 oil change special.

Rod

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
Sounds like you got a PF47 equivalent. You can do a PF52 oil filter and bump the capacity up to 5 quarts.

MicroGard MGL 3387A

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
Sounds like you got a PF47 equivalent. You can do a PF52 oil filter and bump the capacity up to 5 quarts.

Exactly. I have mostly done 4.5 qts and a Pf47 equivalant,but I have done the longer filter as well. It's easier and quicker to pour in a 5 qt bottle and be done with it.

Go back to OReily's and ask for an equivalent to a PF52...or you can tell them a filter for a '96 Chevy Impala, which will bring it up as well.

Unless it won't fit (it should), no good reason not to use the bigger filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back