First Change - Ready!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!!

Seeing as I have some free time next week, and the fact that I want to do an early first oil change, I did some shopping today!

Picked up PYB 5w-30 SN, and a Mobil 1 EP filter.

Now before everyone jumps on my case about this, I know this oil is not Dexos approved, which is what my vehicle is specked for. By next week, when I finally change out the factory fill, my truck will have 6000km on it (just shy of 4k miles) Anyways, I plan on running this next oci about the same length give or take depending on when I have time, again a little shorter of a run to clear break in metals. Now the reason I'm not worried about Dexos spec, is this: I receive monthly on star diagnostic emails with my OLM percent remaining, along with estimated change mileage. My first change is estimated at about 14,000km. By then I will be dumping the oil for the second time already, not the first. So even though I'm straying from the Dexos spec, I still believe I'm doing my engine some good. After that, I will stick to Dexos oils and follow the OLM. Just want a few shortened runs at the start.

Anyways, a snapped a pic of the oil + filter. Enjoy!

-Joseph

63961d72.jpg

I think it is a great idea, and the same thing I am doing with my new Charger. I have heard the Pentastar's are a little on the dirty side at first and I just can't stomach the idea of too much metal floating around. I think your plan is sound. It isn't necessary but absolutely fine to do.

I'm guessing you have a warranty.

Just make sure to keep quiet about this oil change with the unauthorized oil if you run into any warranty claims.

Even though the Mobil 1 filter might give you away. No need in giving them an out in case problems arise.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I'm going to vomit.

Why would you say that, particularly when you seem to have serious problems with every engine unfortunate enough to fall
under your ownership?

I'm going to vomit.

Im sorry, but did I say something that offended you??

To everyone else, thanks! I'm excited to do my first change on a new vehicle! First new vehicle I've owned.

And also thanks for the warning, I for sure won't be announcing to the dealer that there's a non spec oil in there. I'm not too worried about it causing problems though, considering Pennzoil semi-syn meets Dexos spec, and 2011 is the first year requiring it anyways. I'm sure the only difference from the 2010 is that the OLM is calibrated around Dexos oils now, but since I wont be going the full OLM on the non dexos oil anyways, i don't see a problem arising.

But like I said, after hitting the first "recommended" oil change at around 14000 km, Dexos oil will be going in, and the OLM will happily be followed
=)

By the way...Did I mention I love having an OLM?!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: LckydevL

Just make sure to keep quiet about this oil change with the unauthorized oil if you run into any warranty claims.

Even though the Mobil 1 filter might give you away. No need in giving them an out in case problems arise.

You're kidding me right? This oil is NOT "unauthorized" at all. A manufacturer that looks out for anything to void warranty is a manufacturer that doesn't want to become a better car manufacturer. The WILL to learn and determine why and how to prevent the failure should intrigue any manufacturer to get off their bee-hinds.

Dexxos IS NOT REQUIRED, it is only RECOMMENDED. If Dexxos would be REQUIRED, then GM would have to offer the qualification testing and approvals for free. Seeing as this isn't the case you have NOTHING to worry about.

Originally Posted By: qr25de
Dexxos IS NOT REQUIRED, it is only RECOMMENDED. If Dexxos would be REQUIRED, then GM would have to offer the qualification testing and approvals for free. Seeing as this isn't the case you have NOTHING to worry about.
Good point there.....this makes total sense....yes, I believe someone posted an "excerpt" from the "new car Owner's Manual" and ya...it "recommends" Dexos....and they go on to say, your next oil change should be a Dexos-rated oil....

But yea, good point there
wink.gif

Something else I was thinking

Since you are obviously changing out this oil "early" (well before the manufacturer suggests....) - I see what you mean, at the "required" OCI, you're going to be using Dexos oil, correct?
smile.gif
This "run" is primarily meant to get rid of the break-in material from the engine I assume....?

I think your plan is a good one especially since your using the best dino available, IMO...

Great plan of action. Great filter with a good oil, easily capable of 5,000 in that combo, but of course not an issue with a shorter run on a new engine. Good move taking it out to a solid mileage on the factory fill.

Hmm if that's the case, then I feel even better about this change I'm doing. Not that I was hesitating, but now I feel I have absolutely nothing to worry about! thank you for that.

and yes, only reason for this change is to wash out the break in metal. I figured half way point on the OLM was a good time.

OH and for anyone who's curious, like stated earlier, after this run with PYB, i'll be using a full synthetic and run the full OLM. I plan on doing fairly regular UOA's starting with that first full run on synth. So maybe a year from now i'll have my first UOA. I'm getting all excited like a kid at Christmas!
grin.gif
grin.gif

2011 Chevy Colorado Owner's Manual, Section 10 Page 11:

Quote:
Use of Substitute Engine Oils if dexos is unavailable: In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

PYB 5w-30 will be fine for your truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm going to vomit.

Why would you say that, particularly when you seem to have serious problems with every engine unfortunate enough to fall
under your ownership?
I guess it just hit me wrong given GM developed the dexos spec due to ILSAC being inadequate for their warranty program. Im not sure if id run a high efficieny filter with a conventional oil in the Canadian winter. The Champ Delco in the performance series is a excellent filter - though the M1 filter is a champ OEM also, IMO. Aside, IDK if the GM part for this truck is an ecore or performance series - I would only run the performance series. The OP should be OK with the PYB for a short OCI as long as he doesnt stress the oil. I gave up on ILSAC oils during wear-in. Now if I could only fix the fuel quality up here - my new honda just got a bad slug of gas, stuck a ring, dirtied the oil immediately and its running bad. I had planned to go at least 50% on the oLM with honda factory fill but now I dont know if I should change it out at 2700 miles and put in the Idemitsu. Here we go again. Thanks EPA for the wonderfull E10.

This is a good plain. Do not worry about ARCOgraphite it seems the advice he has given in the last 48 hours is not worth his two cents.

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
I'm going to vomit.

Im sorry, but did I say something that offended you??

grin.gif

Sorry the Yellow bottle just hit me wrong. GM has a good idea in spec'ing a high performance lubricant to maintain its 100K warranty program.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm going to vomit.

under your ownership?
I guess it just hit me wrong given GM developed the dexos spec due to ILSAC being inadequate for their warranty program. Im not sure if id run a high efficieny filter with a conventional oil in the Canadian winter. The Champ Delco in the performance series is a excellent filter - though the M1 filter is a champ OEM also, IMO. Aside, IDK if the GM part for this truck is an ecore or performance series - I would only run the performance series. The OP should be OK with the PYB for a short OCI as long as he doesnt stress the oil. I gave up on ILSAC oils during wear-in. Now if I could only fix the fuel quality up here - my new honda just got a bad slug of gas, stuck a ring, dirtied the oil immediately and its running bad. I had planned to go at least 50% on the oLM with honda factory fill but now I dont know if I should change it out at 2700 miles and put in the Idemitsu. Here we go again. Thanks EPA for the wonderfull E10.

"I guess it just hit me wrong given GM developed the dexos spec due to ILSAC being inadequate for their warranty program."

I really do not do not believe for a single second that the GF-5 oil spec is at fault here.

"Now if I could only fix the fuel quality up here - my new honda just got a bad slug of gas, stuck a ring, dirtied the oil immediately and its running bad."

Either you have to worst luck in the world or you can not drive properly because you have destroyed more late model engines than entire racing families.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Either you have to worst luck in the world or you can not drive properly because you have destroyed more late model engines than entire racing families.
I guess I have to post a photo of the swamp water they sell for gasoline up here. Bad gas = dead engine in a hurry. If not the gas, then logically one would blame either the wonderful ILSAC FE oils engines that are rigorously dyno flogged are all junk. NEVER had an issue before the gas went to E10 and the oils went to mid saps. Never.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

"I guess it just hit me wrong given GM developed the dexos spec due to ILSAC being inadequate for their warranty program."

I really do not do not believe for a single second that the GF-5 oil spec is at fault here.

Could you expand on this?

You're kidding me right? This oil is NOT "unauthorized" at all. A manufacturer that looks out for anything to void warranty is a manufacturer that doesn't want to become a better car manufacturer. The WILL to learn and determine why and how to prevent the failure should intrigue any manufacturer to get off their bee-hinds.

I do agree, the unauthorized should be changed to something like non-spec in my post.

But if you think that manufacturers won't pull every trick out of the book to a void a warranty. Then you have never had the pleasure of going through the warranty claim process on a big ticket item or vehicle replacement. They take care of the small stuff with smiling faces. But when it comes to fixing a major problem, they make it as difficult as they can.

My experience:

Vehicle #1 - brand new car had 3 new transmissions in 5 months. After a year and 2 court dates, we got another new vehicle.

Vehicle #2 - brand new truck had electrical problems after the first week of ownership. I honestly never knew what the truck was going to do next. After two years of ownership, I got to drive the truck maybe 6 months. I made them fix that truck because I had to special order it from the factory. After replacing the entire wiring harness and every fuse box on the truck it was perfect.

Both times dealership initially tried to get us to go to another dealership for the warranty process. I refused and told them the warranty will be honored at the place I bought the vehicle. A lot of time, hassle and money was spent by me just to get them to honor their warranty. I never demanded anything extra, only that my vehicle be fixed properly.

I was unlucky, in that usually only a small group of people have to go through this kind of process once in their lifetime. I got the pleasure twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back