2006 Pontiac Vibe - Amsoil XLF - 9000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a sample to make sure the oil is still fit for use in an extended OCI of this vehicle.
New Wix air filter installed with the oil and using a Mann ML1009 full flow oil filter.

Code:

* = Severity 1

** = Severity 2

Iron 4

Chromium 0

Nickel 0

Aluminum 3

Copper 0

Lead 0

Tin 0

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 8

Sodium 9

Potassium 0

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 67 **

Antimony 0

Manganese 0

Lithium 0

Boron 121 **

Magnesium 8

Calcium 2249

Barium 0

Phosphorous 655

Zinc 749

Fuel Dilution 2.9%

Vis @100C 9.1 *

TBN 3.26 **

Oxidation 11

Nitration 24

Lube Time 8,884 km

Unit Time 174,999 km

Quote:
Notes:
Flagged data does not indicate an immediate need for maintenance action. Continue to observe the trend and monitor equipment and fluid conditions. FUEL DILUTION is at a MODERATE LEVEL; FUEL DILUTION has caused viscosity to decrease slightly below grade; Total Base Number is MODERATELY LOW; Flagged additive levels are different than what should be present for the lubricant that is identified for this unit. (This does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API, SAE, or ISO classifications.); Oil is suitable for continued use. Re-sample in 3,500 miles or 65 hours.

Things look fine to me except for a bit of fuel dilution and some additives that OA isn't aware of in the reformulation of XLF. Going to run it another 5,000-km and sample again to confirm the OCI for this vehicle.

We've had a pretty warm winter but there are still cold morning starts. This vehicle drives 100km on the 401 in Toronto every day.

I messed up taking the sample from the dipstick and pulled the oil from near the top of the sump instead of the middle. Not sure if that would affect the fuel dilution and viscosity numbers.

Cheers,
Chris
{removed non-site sponsor link}

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, looks really nice except the fuel, although I think we've seen other Vibe's with fuel. Look forward to the next analysis! Thanx!

Funny I was just looking at the Amsoil website yesterday and concidering trying it. I think my biggest problem is i enjoy changing the oil!

Very good wear numbers considering the fuel dilution and thinning. This is a high quality oil. Was the engine oil up to normal operating temp when you took the sample? Thanks for posting.

Consolidating a few questions.

While I don't mind changing the oil in our vehicles I don't have a covered/protected area to work so that makes me a fair weather mechanic which usually does not include winter.
I'm a big fan of the idea of a twice a year oil changes which looks like it may be possible.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Was the engine oil up to normal operating temp when you took the sample?

I sampled about 10-15 minutes after the car was shut down. It would probably be a good assumption that it was stop and go for some of the 45 minute rush hour commute.

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
Maybe I missed it, but is this 5w30?

Sorry, yes this is the mid-range AMSOIL 5W-30 product.

The new Amsoil XL is a fantastic oil, I should be in line to do my next UOA in the next four months or so and that one will include two back-to-back XL changes with the RP filter.

I'm considering stepping up to the full synthetic next for the next couple of rounds.

Originally Posted By: Nesser
and using a Mann ML1009 full flow oil filter.

Chris, where does one obtain Mann filters in the Toronto area? And is this particular one the higher capacity filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Chris, where does one obtain Mann filters in the Toronto area? And is this particular one the higher capacity filter?

He probably ordered that from Amsoil as well.

Originally Posted By: qr25de
He probably ordered that from Amsoil as well.

Correct, ordered from Amsoil.
You can talk to Pablo or use the dealer locator to find a local dealer close to you. I'll disclose that I'm a dealer but I do it on the side for fun, not full time. http://www.amsoil.com/locator/

I wouldn't say it is high capacity since it looks like every other oil filter I've put on the car, but I'm not sure. There are some specs on the Mann website if it helps you:
https://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_usa/index.html?ktlg_page=6&prdsl=11009

Lame fuel dilution, otherwise looks good. Only 8 Si for 5,500+ miles or so is good air filtration.

I wonder what soot or insols would be...can the lab test for either?

And is this particular one the higher capacity filter?

I wouldn't say it is high capacity since it looks like every other oil filter I've put on the car, but I'm not sure.

I wasnt very clear, For my 2005 Vibe with the base 1ZZFE engine I try to buy the higher capacity filter used on the Vibe GT. With this longer filter, the sump (+ filter) takes a 4L jug perfectly. I will go to the Mann site and get the part no. for this larger/longer filter.

Last edited:
Chris, where does one obtain Mann filters in the Toronto area?

Can Mann filters also be obtained at traditional auto parts, 'brick and mortar' locations in Ontario?

Chris, where does one obtain Mann filters in the Toronto area?

Can Mann filters also be obtained at traditional auto parts, 'brick and mortar' locations in Ontario?

How far away is this:

Toronto, ON
6625 Tomken Rd
Units 12-14
Mississauga, ON L5T 2C2

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I wonder what soot or insols would be...can the lab test for either?

Code:
Soot % Vol < 0.1 - using FTIR method

Water was the same as soot. I don't see anything for insolubles and I didn't ask/pay for the particle counts to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back