Reusing gas can after mixing 2 stroke oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question...

For example, say that I used a two gallon gas can to mix 2 stroke motor oil with gas for my lawn trimmer. I then use up all that mixture but of course there is some residue left in the gas can.

Is it then OK for me to fill up the gas can with gas and then put it in my, say, 2012 Mustang GT? Or is the previous oil/gas mixture residue a problem? Or maybe I should rinse out the gas can first? Rinse it out with what?

Thanks,
Randy I.

Yes, after using all the mixed gas you can fill the can with straight gasoline & then use it in anything you like. Any trace of 2-cycle oil left will be so little it will cause no trouble whatever. No worries at all.
thumbsup2.gif

No problem as long as there is no; junk, water, debris, etc. In the can. Filling it up then mixing it with whatever is in the tank will dilute any residue of oil, in fact, many on this site add a little 2 stroke oil as a top cylinder lubricant.

I actually go out of my way to add 2 stroke oil. lol
tc-w3 to be exact but id guess any type of 2 stroke oil would be fine is small temporary doses (the need for an ashless oil would be needed for long term stronger doses, thats why I use tc-w3 rather then regular 2 stroke oil)

You won't have any issues at all.

Many people are unaware that gasoline often contains small quantities of "lubricity" additives, aka oil.

The residue is nothing.

Come spring I just dump mixed it in the mower & it doesn't even smoke a little & no difference in performance.

Hey, do what I do. If I have some old gas, a little two-cycle mix, whatever...it goes in the wife's van. She never notices.
grin.gif

Seriously, gasoline is just a mix of hydrocarbons anyway. A little bit of some odd hydrocarbons mixed in a relatively large amount of gasoline just dilutes away...

Not only can you use it safely, but any 2 stroke oil left should HELP, not hurt.
I always put the remaining mixed snowblower fuel in the cars.
I also sometimes add 2 stroke oil to my gas for fuel pump and top end lubing [modern fuels with alcohol esp.].
MMO is what Inormally use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back