Non ethanol gas verses Costco...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi;
I've always went out of my way to buy non ethanol gas.
There's about a nineteen cent a gallon difference in the non ethanol and the Costco gas. The Costco gas does state it has up to 10% ethanol in it where I shop.
Would you buy the non ethanol gas if it were availabe to you over the Costco gas?
I don't know anything else about the non ethanol gas other than it is sold at a "PURE" gas station.
I'm buying for a 2002 Yukon with the 6.0 engine.
a 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland with 4.7 H.O. engine.
And 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 V8 that pings with anything less than 92 octane.
Thanks for any advise.
John

Depending on price and how much of improvement it made...maybe I would go out of my way. Does the jeep recommend high octane?

Originally Posted By: tig1
I don't see any differance between the two.

Lucky you! If I could get true gas in IL that be it. My GMC runs 15 mpg on 10%, 18 mpg on real gas. Much harder to find in the Midwest, if at all.

I would buy the the non ethanol gas for the 1993 Jeep. The others I would buy whatever and use a good fuel cleaner(Redline, Techron) right before every OCI. I truly believe ethanol dirtys up the fuel system...

Last edited:
What a scam ethanol in our fuel is. It's food for heavens sake. It is not cleaner to burn in vehicles, it takes a gallon of gas or diesel to distill a gallon of this food stuff. People are starving in this world and the USA has to burn food in vehicles. And our tax dollars pay for most of it.. It tears up our fuel systems on older vehicles and power sports equipment that was never designed to have water/ethanol to burn. I have to drive 60 miles one way into Idaho for non food fuel. At least Idahoans still have the freedom to chose....Sad

Originally Posted By: oppirs
I don't see any differance between the two.

Lucky you! If I could get true gas in IL that be it. My GMC runs 15 mpg on 10%, 18 mpg on real gas. Much harder to find in the Midwest, if at all.

Maybe .18 MPG less.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
What a scam ethanol in our fuel is. It's food for heavens sake. It is not cleaner to burn in vehicles, it takes a gallon of gas or diesel to distill a gallon of this food stuff. People are starving in this world and the USA has to burn food in vehicles. And our tax dollars pay for most of it.. It tears up our fuel systems on older vehicles and power sports equipment that was never designed to have water/ethanol to burn. I have to drive 60 miles one way into Idaho for non food fuel. At least Idahoans still have the freedom to chose....Sad

Sorry, but the corn used to make ethanol isn't eaten by humans, and has nothing to do with people starving in other countries. Also the rate of ethanol to oil ratio is much higher now than 1 to 1. If you are driving 120 mile just to gas up then look at what you are doing to our air quality we breath in this country.

Maybe .18 MPG less.

Off topic? But any leads to real non ethanol gas in IL? That site http://pure-gas.org/ that has stations listed as real gas, when I fill-up just don't have stickers on the pumps. Gas mileage didn't go up a bit.

I know for a fact that my friends 5.7 Suburban, get 2-3 miles per gl less on ethanol gas... Other vehicles who knows what the MPG loss is. Plus like I said before, ethanol leaves deposits in your newer fuel system. Older cars, thats another issue...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I know for a fact that my friends 5.7 Suburban, get 2-3 miles per gl less on ethanol gas... Other vehicles who knows what the MPG loss is. Plus like I said before, ethanol leaves deposits in your newer fuel system. Older cars, thats another issue...

The only fuel I have available to me here in Illinois has ethanol in it. When I travel out of state I do use some gas that isn't E10. I see no noticeable differance in the two. There might be a .5 MPG loss, but I can't prove it. As for fuel deposites, I've haven't had that problem either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Depending on price and how much of improvement it made...maybe I would go out of my way. Does the jeep recommend high octane?

The 2003 4.7 H.O. engine was designed to run on 92-93 octane.
The 1993 has an issue that I have not put a lot of effort into figuring out, but it will spark knock on 87 & 89 octane. Not hardly at all on 93 octane. It never bothered me to run the 93 back when you could buy the CLEAR non ethanol 93 at my local AMOCO/BP AMOCO.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

The only fuel I have available to me here in Illinois has ethanol in it. When I travel out of state I do use some gas that isn't E10. I see no noticeable differance in the two. There might be a .5 MPG loss, but I can't prove it. As for fuel deposites, I've haven't had that problem either.

My buddy usually runs ethanol free gas but every once in a while he fills up with 10% ethanol gas. This is when he notices the large drop in MPG and its usually over about 350 miles before he again refuels... He has noticed this over numerous tanks of fuel. Maybe it depends on what you drive and what year it is. His is a 1994 5.7 Suburban, so any drop in MPG will be noticed. LOL...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
The heat value is 4.3% lower for gas with 10% ethonal so your fuel mileage should be ~ 4% lower.

That's true if the gas actually contains 10% ethanol. Our local gas says "up to" 10%. My testing shows it to be about 4 to 5%.

Sorry, but the corn used to make ethanol isn't eaten by humans, and has nothing to do with people starving in other countries. Also the rate of ethanol to oil ratio is much higher now than 1 to 1. If you are driving 120 mile just to gas up then look at what you are doing to our air quality we breath in this country.

Sorry, but the corn used to make ethanol is eaten by humans. And is used to feed animals that feed humans. And if couldn't be used to feed humans, it is taking up farmland that could be used to grow food. The fact that ethanol production has an impact on food availability and prices isn't debatable. I'd like to see your breakdown of the ethanol to oil ratio. Be sure to figure in the decreased mileage E10 offers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back