Can hail dents be repaired DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the word TIME, and point for that matter. Im sure If I were to see it in person, I could show you tiny imperfections, and like Ive already said, Ive seen a few instances where these repairs are lasting. Dad once had his truck beat up by hail (and I massaged his dings out) insurance totalled it, so I unloaded it on some unsuspecting sucker! Again, wouldnt happen to my personal vehicles. So I will rebuttal no more, as I have backed my explaination with inserts directly from the finish companies themselves. Think of it this way.......you get a crack in your windsheild, you call 1800 whatever, and they come apply some "miracle solution" and it appears to be fixed, you still have a cracked/chiped windshield, but you chose a half arse fix that looks good to the naked/untrained eye. Its like buying some overhaul in a bottle. Give me a car with a horrible tick, and I can dump a bottle of lucas in it and shut it up, but its far from fixed or properly repaired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
Im sorry to beat a dead horse here, but the person whom originally asked the question is obviously in love with their car, as in their post they note (#175 out of 300) or something like that.

I would be in love with it too, it is one of the greatest Japanese muscle era cars made, and it is noted as #175 of 300 because it is the commemorative edition which were the last 300 EVER made, he has number 175.

Sad to hear it got some storm dents, it is a one of a kind, at least one person is taking top notch care of their 300zx still, good luck with restoring the panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, if your saw the cars in person you would find NOTHING !
NO "tiny imperfections" and contrary to your OPINION....VERY LASTING.

Unless you've had this kind of work done by very highly trained professionals who know their business, or learn their methods, techniques and artisan skills, you ARE beating a dead horse here.

Repairing a chipped windshiled is not at all the same as paintless dent removal.

Clark, again mine was fixed back probably in 03. I bet that paint/clear coat looks better now then anything you have painted in last 2 years.
How much 'TIME' are you talking? Obviously any car paint will get bad over time.

Well, I appreciate the welcome to this site. I must have misunderstood what this site is all about, I thought it was about experienced people trying to help others out. And see I back up my responses with actual real life experience as well as inserts from finish companies themselves, glad you dont appreciate my experience, as Ill have you know right around Christmas, I was brought a 1956 ford F1 to restore the body on and $35K (probably more than youll make all yr mr fast) to do the job. Im very selective of what I take in. So heres the deal, I speak of experience, you speak of.....well I took it to someone and it worked, or what I call inexperience. I have said, THAT IVE SEEN THESE REPAIRS LAST. So let me get this straight......you TAKE your car to a mechanic to be fixed by someone else, so there for its YOU that is the mechanic or knowlable person? I think NOT!! Ive read the posts in the lawn section and wont dare post there, as agian I thought this site was about experience! Im knowledeable in 2 areas, paint/body and lawncare, and have made a very nice living in both and stay busy year round.

Clark:

Yes, this site is all about knowledgeable people. You're very firm that PDR is a "coin toss" as you stated.

One of my best friends does PDR, and has for about 13 years. Hos set of tools cost a little over $7k...they're more than just picks. He showed me some pictures of his 1995 showcar Mustang that had a door ding. He repaired it in 1999 when he first started out. NO trace of it whatsoever.

He's done several dents on my vehicles and I don't think I could find them right now if I had to.

BTW: He is the ONLY PDR person the North Atlanta Porsche dealer uses...if that means anything.

OP: Research and find someone who is reputable!! IT DOES WORK!!

Since you claim pdr does not last what would be your "I speak of experience" recomendation to the OP? What???? There are not too many possibilities. Would you tell him to bondo or glass the damaged area and repaint? That is about the most expensive and worst case scenario. Then what should he do when the paint doesn't match?????? Guess you would tell him to paint the entire car. Maybe he can get a total clark job for 35k.

Originally Posted By: Scooby
Clark:

Yes, this site is all about knowledgeable people. You're very firm that PDR is a "coin toss" as you stated.

One of my best friends does PDR. NO trace of it whatsoever.

He's done several dents on my vehicles and I don't think I could find them right now if I had to.

BTW: He is the ONLY PDR person the North Atlanta Porsche dealer uses...if that means anything.

OP: Research and find someone who is reputable!! IT DOES WORK!!
Again, im confused, if its you with the experience, why are you referencing your friend? Its your friend with the experience, right? And id bet you a dollar to a doughnut i could find them. And my original post said take it a well respected body shop, (as some do offer these repairs). And I said, ive seen some last. And I can massage these dings out with simple picks. Again, thought this site was for experienced people to help the inexperienced. Seems as if its the blind leading the blind and just saying.....I think, or my friend can, or I had good luck when I took it to someone, or..... more opinions.....If Im going to get beat on for offering actual experience, im obviously on the wrong site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Since you claim pdr does not last what would be your "I speak of experience" recomendation to the OP? What???? There are not too many possibilities. Would you tell him to bondo or glass the damaged area and repaint? That is about the most expensive and worst case scenario. Then what should he do when the paint doesn't match?????? Guess you would tell him to paint the entire car. Maybe he can get a total clark job for 35k.

Out of the 320 posts youve made, how many have been backed by any actual facts or actual expierence?

Thats all? Waiting on this recommendation so if this happens to me again I can get my car fixed right this time.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Thats all? Waiting on this recommendation so if this happens to me again I can get my car fixed right this time.

Some bring FACTS some bring OPINION, youre obviously too fast for me!

I am about done on this thread since its going no where and your about as stubborn as a mule. At this point who cares about fact or opinion. Please post what you recommended the OP do for the repairs.

If you actually took the time to read things, you would have seen ive done so, time and time again! But you want to out smart me about something you obviously know nothing about! Again, I thought this site was about actual real world knowledge/experience not just your opinion about or what serivce a professional has provided FOR you. BUT You have corrected me!

Well, I appreciate the welcome to this site. I must have misunderstood what this site is all about, I thought it was about experienced people trying to help others out. And see I back up my responses with actual real life experience as well as inserts from finish companies themselves, glad you dont appreciate my experience

You're coming off as very abrasive and full of yourself. That may be why you're getting these responses.

Telling us about your experience in a more friendly way would probably be appreciated.

In my case, I was simply saying my paintless dent repair hasn't peeled and cracked, and it's been nearly 5 years. I looked at it again today and it isn't cracking or peeling. Then you provide this response:

Quote:
You missed the word TIME, and point for that matter.

That's not an attitude that will win a lot of friends on any forum.

Last edited:
again, i thought this form was for experienced ppl, WRONG WAS I!! its more like this, i like valvoline and you dont, so lets fight and argue about things i know nothing about, but i like valvoline..............I have a new ford with 5W20 clearly written all over it, so should I run 20w50 what do you think?.......opinon opinion opinion, no FACTS what so ever

Last edited:
again, i thought this form was for experienced ppl, WRONG WAS I!! its more like this, i like valvoline and you dont, so lets fight and argue about things i know nothing about, but i like valvoline..............I have a new ford with 5W20 clearly written all over it, so should I run 20w50 what do you think?.......opinon opinion opinion, no FACTS what so ever

How is it not factual when someone offers his own experience with PDR? If he had the procedure done 5 years ago and still has experienced none of the paint chipping issues you mentioned that seems a pretty valid counter to your assertion.

My '01 Taurus had PDR done on the hood when it was 6 months old because the dealer dropped a tool on it. It is now 2012 and the paint is fine, no chipping or cracking and the repair is indiscernable from the surrounding area. I guess that's not positive experience with the procedure. My mistake.

Who would care about an 01 taurus (i wouldnt even admit i owned one, and i like fords)? Like I said Im selective! My son hit his basketball into my vehicle, dented it, I punched it, and it bounced out. So, I like you, im now a genius and a dent wizzard and should be offering professional advice!

Last edited:
Who would care about an 01 taurus (i wouldnt even admit i owned one, and i like fords)? Like I said Im selective! My son hit his basketball into my vehicle, dented it, I punched it, and it bounced out. So, I like you, im now a genius and a dent wizzard and should be offering professional advice!

Why would YOU care? I doubt you would. After all, you're the self-proclaimed expert on paint. I wouldn't expect you to be able to consider anything that actually proves you wrong. Remember TIME? Your word. I guess 11 years is not enough time to see the paint flaking effects that you all but guaranteed would be the result of PDR.

You gave your "expert" opnion. It was countered by several people with perfectly satisfactory real-world experience with the result of the procedure. Now your feelings are all hurt because we don't defer to your opinion in spite of our own experience. Are you for real?

I'll type extra slowly so that there's a slim chance you can comprehend this. I don't have to perform PDR to know if I'm satisfied with the outcome. Just like I don't have to be a brewmaster to know when beer tastes good and I don't have to be a pharmacist to tell that Tylenol lowers a fever.

So why don't you just go back to your $35k paint job and we'll all promise to be terribly impressed eventually.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Why would YOU care? I doubt you would. After all, you're the self-proclaimed expert on paint. I wouldn't expect you to be able to consider anything that actually proves you wrong. Remember TIME? Your word. I guess 11 years is not enough time to see the paint flaking effects that you all but guaranteed would be the result of PDR.

You gave your "expert" opnion. It was countered by several people with perfectly satisfactory real-world experience with the result of the procedure. Now your feelings are all hurt because we don't defer to your opinion in spite of our own experience. Are you for real?

I'll type extra slowly so that there's a slim chance you can comprehend this. I don't have to perform PDR to know if I'm satisfied with the outcome. Just like I don't have to be a brewmaster to know when beer tastes good and I don't have to be a pharmacist to tell that Tylenol lowers a fever.

So why don't you just go back to your $35k paint job and we'll all promise to be terribly impressed eventually.

My vehicle was satisfactorily PDR'ed in 2000. Eleven plus years and factory finish is still looking fine. Cost was $75. Strange that our paint expert has never mentioned that the alternative would have been to sand the spot to bare metal and repair and blend with repair-specific paints and processes which are inferior to factory, due to the lower bake temp necessary on a fully assembled vehicle.

And if I do ever need to have it refinished, I will have gotten eleven plus years of deferred refinishing expense for the $75. The only downside will be the possibility of Clark Lawnscape going over my paint with a magnifying glass looking for microscopic imperfections.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

My vehicle was satisfactorily PDR'ed in 2000. Eleven plus years and factory finish is still looking fine. Cost was $75. Strange that our paint expert has never mentioned that the alternative would have been to sand the spot to bare metal and repair and blend with repair-specific paints and processes which are inferior to factory, due to the lower bake temp necessary on a fully assembled vehicle.

And if I do ever need to have it refinished, I will have gotten eleven plus years of deferred refinishing expense for the $75. The only downside will be the possibility of Clark Lawnscape going over my paint with a magnifying glass looking for microscopic imperfections.

When the time comes, he might be able to help you "unload it on some unsuspecting sucker".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back