Pennzoil Ultra- API SM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, yesterday I changed the oil in my cruze with PU.... And I just happened to look at the bottle. It must be either an old bottle label, or an old jug. It's labelled API SM, not SN. The date stamp is Sept 8th, 2011. What do you think? Old label, or what.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that I just bought that jug yesterday too.

Last edited:
20120207_135623.jpg

20120207_135641.jpg

Annnnnddd.... Okay, so the Pennzoil site still lists ultra as a SM oil.... And also, the new Dexos1 approved oil list lists only Pennzoil Platinum, not Pennzoil Ultra... Oh crud..... >_>

Originally Posted By: Nick R
What a waste. Guess I'll drain it out,

Why??? Do you really think your engine is going to asplode?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What a waste. Guess I'll drain it out,

Why??? Do you really think your engine is going to esplode?
smile.gif

I know right?

Last edited:
IIRC Ultra actually did meet SN from the get-go, they just didn't get it certified right away or the SN spec hadn't hit yet. I don't remember the specifics but there was some discussion here about it...search and maybe you can find it.

EDIT: nevermind, now I remember -- SOPUS said something to the effect of "no changes were needed to meet SN".

The older the Ultra the better IMO, when the VOA's and UOA's for Ultra first came out it was so stout. 300-400ppm Boron, near 3000ppm Calcium. The boron amount started to go down as time went on. My personal opinion on that is that it was not selling like they wanted it to. I look for the oldest jugs of Ultra I can, that is the only oil I do that with. You are good to go.

Warranty.
frown.gif

Yeah thats Dexos huh? I`m not familiar with that yet. Will it really hurt anything? I mean,this is PU were talking about here.

What a waste. Guess I'll drain it out, and change the oil in my friends car with it.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Drive it until the next oil change...

Warranty.
frown.gif

sigh...go out right now and buy a jug of Pennzoil Platinum. Keep the receipt. Put the jug on the shelf. Should you have a warranty claim, use that receipt (they can't do an oil analysis well enough to prove whether the oil was SM or SN and Ultra isn't going to cause a failure in this car...).

my
49.gif

Warranty.
frown.gif

According to the latest Pennzoil Ultra (SN) spec sheet, their 5w-30 meets Dexos1. You have a receipt that shows you bought the right quantity of Ultra 5w-30. As far as I know, the receipt does not say whether it was SM or SN. So, if anyone ever wanted to question your oil selection, how would they know you bought SM and not SN?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
sigh...go out right now and buy a jug of Pennzoil Platinum. Keep the receipt. Put the jug on the shelf.

Or make a copy of the receipt and then return the PP jug right back.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
What a waste. Guess I'll drain it out, and change the oil in my friends car with it.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Drive it until the next oil change...

Agreed.

Nick, I would run P/U with confidence. If Platinum is "dexos1", I think that the flagship Ultra would have the same if not better.

I highly doubt you would have an oil related warranty issue running that top-tier oil.

My
49.gif

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back