926 hour UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another UOA on our New Holland TS135A tractor. We continue to use if to run the feed wagon on our farm. Did 926 hours on this oil change using Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15w-40 we got real cheap with a rebate coupon. The previous oil changes were with Service Pro. I refilled with Shell Rimula 15w-40. Most recent UOA is to the right. Tractor had 9260 hours at time of oil change.

Hours 595,759, 813, 926
Iron 37, 54, 49, 26
Chrm 1, 1, 1, 0
Alum 2, 2, 1, 1
Copp 2, 4, 5, 3
Lead 5, 13, 22, 6
Sili 4, 5, 6, 8
Sodi 3, 3, 3, 5
Moly 2, 141, 133, 48
Anti 0, 0, 1, 0
Boro 3, 22, 9, 24
Magn 184, 935, 982, 858
Calc 2658, 1541, 1245, 1371
Bari 0, 0, 0, 1
Phos 1026, 961, 1038, 933
Zinc 1291, 1246, 1270, 1154

Soot% .6, .4, .5, .4
Vis cst 15, 14.2, 15.4, 15.7
TBN 5.76, 6.4, 4.37, 5.78
Oxid 9, 14, 14, 16
Nit 12, 18, 22, 20

Over the summer, we used the tractor to run out bale grinder and the vents on the hood got plugged with debris and the tractor overheated to the point that the upper plastic tank on the radiator exploded. Literally. It cooled down and it still had some coolant in it so I drove it up to our shop, adjusted the valves while waiting for the new radiator to arrive since I hadn't done it yet on that unit, replaced the raditor, flushed the cooling system, and drained the engine oil with less than 200 hours on it. I had been adding Lubro-Moly oil additive and I think that might have been what led to the high lead numbers. This past oil change I did not use it and lead fell back down to an OK number. I use Lubro-Moly in a lot of our equipment and in some cases it has helped control oil consumption but in others it seems to result in higher lead numbers. I'll have to continue to test the others to see if the trend continues. I think I'll do 1000 hours or better for the next OCI to put it over 10,000 hours on the tractor.

Last edited:
Must have a big crankcase to go that long. I do 300hr oci on my truck and the tbn is around 4.5. Might be able to do 500hr but I change mine at 300 cause oil is cheap and I don't feel like wasting anymore money on uoa. Nice uoa. Sorry don't mean to hijack.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be hard to say if the moly contributed to higher iron, I do find it interesting that the lead was up in the samples with the most moly, again nothing scientific. Either way I would just keep using the best priced good quality 15w40 and go 10k hrs. I don't think there would be any problems. Keep the Lubro-Moly out and see if wear drops.

Crankcase holds about 15 1/2 quarts. The oil pan has a drain plug on either side and it must have ridges in it because I can get a little more out if I take both drain plugs out.

sdan27

Yet another excellent example of your fleet. This time on Delvac 15w-40.

Simply stellar. Nearing 1000 hours.

First, I'd have to agree that the additive was probably not gaining you anything, and most likely skewing the Pb count. I'd say the jury has returned the verdit; ditch the additive.

At this point, I'd have to ask if you've considered what condemnation levels you'd be looking at? I would suggest you review the following link and look at the data:
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publications/UsedOil/2008020.pdf
See page 11 of the document to see where many respected diesel engine OEMs and analysis programs set their limits. I do not recall who makes the engine in you NH, but I cannot fathom their condemnation limits would get grossly different from all these sources.

You should consider setting some levels acceptble to you for the wear and contaminants. It it were me, I'd say use these:
Fe = 100ppm
Cu = 30ppm
Al = 20ppm
Pb = 30ppm
Soot = 3%
TBN = 2.0
Sil = 20ppm
etc ...

These limits represent what the OEMs feel is the safe upper/lower limit for lube parameters. Until these are reached, there is no reasonable fear. These limits show what can be done with a full maintenance program. These parameters dictate the OCI, not the odometer/hour meter.

You're steadily working your way up to longer and longer OCIs. This is exactly, precisely the kind of thoughtful, analytical choices that show a well maintained piece of equipment.

There is no reason that lube could not have gone a lot further. In fact, all your UOAs show excellent wear on your equipment. Service Pro was doing a great job, but it's clear that your steady, long operating patterns are what really contribute to your success. That load of Delvac could have eaisly gone to 1500 hours; maybe more. Obviously, it's important to trend along the way with UOAs.

I would suggest you consider getting some Fumoto drain valves for your equipment. Rather than run an OCI and sample at the end when you drain, why not leave the load in until the sample comes back, and only then make a decision? The Fumoto valve allows you to run a "live" sample while the engine runs, so you get a very good representative mixture in the bottle. That is how I do my Dmax. If you would do this, you could really have total control over your OCI and let the data decide when to change oil, rather than the hourmeter. This would be the last piece in the puzzle. You're doing a great job of letting the data talk to you, but it's data that comes at the end of a conversation. Rather, why not analyze the data while the load it still in, and then you'd not be committed to an OCI until it was fully time.

This is an excellent UOA. I don't want to distract from that; merely making a suggestion as to how to get that last piece to fit into the puzzle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back