Oil for 2007 Mustang 4.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my gf is going to pull the trigger on the Mustang. I have a few questions. What kind`ve engine is in this car? Is it a SOHC pushrod? Does Ford make the engine,or is it a joint venture engine? Is it a timing chain or belt engine? Oil cap says 5W30,and I`m thinking about Mobil 1 10W30(would that be a better choice over 5W,or does it even make a real world difference?). Should I go Mobil 1 HM or regular? Car has 55,000 miles I think.

Last edited:
So, to answer your questions: it's a SOHC (ergo, no pushrods) with timing chains.

If Ford recommends a 5W30, why would you go with a 10W30? Maybe in Tx it won't make much of a difference, but I would stick with what Ford recommends. The 5W30 will flow better on start-up, and the protection will be the same in the heat. Personally, I wouldn't use an HM on a 5 year old car with 55,000 miles on it...I think the regular M1 5W30 would be a great choice.

It's a fun car to drive - is this the ragtop? Love the ragtop...the coupe is a bit cramped for me...but I understand the appeal...enjoy the car!

I'm pretty sure this is the SOHC 4.0L V-6 that was in the Explorer. It's one of the few Ford engines that calls for 5W-30 oil, not 5W-20. It was originally desiged by Ford of Germany, I think.

In your climate, would definetly use a 10W-30 oil. the increased shear-resistance and reduced valatility of the 10W oil is worth it, IMO. Regular M1 10W-30 would be a great oil to use.

There are far more 5w30s to choose from than 10w30s. I'd buy whichever off-the-shelf 5w30 synthetic is on sale that week.

Heck, the Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic-blend is really cheap and proven.

Its the engine that was in the explorer since about 2000. and the ranger since 2001.

it was never backspec'ed for 5w20.. so for sure use a 30wt.

FWIW I ran just about anything in mine. Including 15w40 delo that I got for 4$/gallon.(in summer)
M1 0w40. m1 truck&suv 5w40, m1 5w30.. etc.

The early ones had alot of timing chain noise they eventually fixed (long before it went into the mustang)

Last edited:
"SOHC pushrod" is an oxymoron. It is SOHC, and has timing chains (3 of them), not belts. It was first introduced in the Explorer in 1997 and the Ranger in 2001. It was also used in some Land Rovers I believe. Stick with a 5w30.

That is the engine I have in my 02 Explorer. Timing and injection mapping is probably a little different though. I've been running synthetic in it for 100k miles. Last few years I have been using Mobil 1 0W40.

Well,we brought it home this afternoon. AWESOME car! MUCH more fun than her old Delta 88 :^P Out of these oils,which would yall choose:

Mobil 1 10W30
Mobil 1 10W30 EP
QSUD 10W30
PP 10W30
PU 10W30

or

What would be the real world pros and cons of using something like a synthetic 5W50?

And would a Motorcraft filter be the best?

I hear the 4.0 comes alive in the much lighter Mustang.

I've been using Shell Rotella T5 10w30 in our Explorer 4.0, same engine. This is not the smoothest or quietest v6, but the T5 really helped a lot in that department. Best oil I've ever ran in it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Well,we brought it home this afternoon. AWESOME car! MUCH more fun than her old Delta 88 :^P Out of these oils,which would yall choose:

Mobil 1 10W30
Mobil 1 10W30 EP
QSUD 10W30
PP 10W30
PU 10W30

or

What would be the real world pros and cons of using something like a synthetic 5W50?

I'd use whichever of those oils are on sale. They're all very good. But why are you looking at 10w30? Ford specs 5w30 (should meet WSS-M2C929-A). Even in Texas a lighter oil at startup is a good thing.

That car does not need a 5w50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

Mobil 1 10W30
Mobil 1 10W30 EP
QSUD 10W30
PP 10W30
PU 10W30

or

I'd use whichever of those oils are on sale. They're all very good. But why are you looking at 10w30? Ford specs 5w30 (should meet WSS-M2C929-A). Even in Texas a lighter oil at startup is a good thing.

That car does not need a 5w50.

+1

I would stick with the manufactures recommendations.

aquarius, just use a good 5W-30. No reason to use 5W-50, or 10W-30. Just go buy some PP 5W-30 and and FL820S and be done with it. It's what I ended up running in our 4.0L Mustang till we got rid of it, and it worked fine.

Last edited:
I think my gf is going to pull the trigger on the Mustang. I have a few questions. What kind`ve engine is in this car? Is it a SOHC pushrod? Does Ford make the engine,or is it a joint venture engine? Is it a timing chain or belt engine? Oil cap says 5W30,and I`m thinking about Mobil 1 10W30(would that be a better choice over 5W,or does it even make a real world difference?). Should I go Mobil 1 HM or regular? Car has 55,000 miles I think.

No reason to go thick on a car with so few miles. Stay with 5w30, but test first. Not knowing how a used car will perform on synthetic (oil leaks, burn oil, etc) I've been starting cars off with a M1 HM run then going to the final synthetic brew. M1 HM is thick for its grade, extra cleaners. seal conditioners, etc.

1) Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 for 6k

If things look good, no leaks, doesnt burn too much, etc.

2) Mobil 1 5w30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 for 7500 after that

A car with 55k doesn't need a HM oil unless it's got some really bad leaking issues (in which case, fix that rather than band-aiding it).

Originally Posted By: dparm
A car with 55k doesn't need a HM oil unless it's got some really bad leaking issues (in which case, fix that rather than band-aiding it).

Agreed...

For a low horsepower engine that has a easy life, the 5W-30 MC syn blend will be fine... Change at 5Kmi and use a MC filter, it'll go another 150K mi easily...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back