what to do, dino oil or synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have a 2008 chev colorado 2.9 4cyl 68k and we have been thinking about switching to either synthetic blen or full syn oil at the next service which is coming up the 1st of the month. so should we switch? what kinda filter should we use?
we have never used synthetic oil before and dont know much about it ot how long we can go between oil/filter svc. please help.

thanks a bunch, this is our first post here. wow this place has lots of info!

Tell us your typical driving habits, length of drive how often stop and go or highway, expressway etc. any towing?

This year it appears the best oil is 5w-30 blend and 5w-30 full synthetic. With these Dexos certified oils one may follow the oil life computer in a 2011 model GM car down to 0%.

Even though your car is a little older the Dexos oil will keep the engine cleaner when you are taking the oil down to 0%.

I don't know if there are filters that are better than the dealer filter. They say "quality is in the price", but AC Delco feels heavy duty to me.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Tell us your typical driving habits, length of drive how often stop and go or highway, expressway etc. any towing?

hi, lets see , no towing ever, mostly in town driving mixed freeway and town, daily driver to the store some 50 mile trips once a week or more, but mostly intown, i thought about useing like walmart 5w30 full synthetink oil and a good filter, 5k oci?
does any of this sound good?
ive been working on car my whole life and have never used anything but regular oil. but its time to switch over and now that i have a truck that will be able to run syn oil. i figure lets! THANKS

Originally Posted By: jorton
This year it appears the best oil is 5w-30 blend and 5w-30 full synthetic. With these Dexos certified oils one may follow the oil life computer in a 2011 model GM car down to 0%.

Even though your car is a little older the Dexos oil will keep the engine cleaner when you are taking the oil down to 0%.

I don't know if there are filters that are better than the dealer filter. They say "quality is in the price", but AC Delco feels heavy duty to me.

i currently run regular 5w30.
and run acdelco filters. pf46

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Supertech synthetic . Another good quality cheap synthetic is Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Popular oils on this forum are Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1. Personally I would use Pennzoil Platinum in the crankcase and call it a day.

Supertech syn is pretty good but QSUD may be a better choice at that price (also at Walmart). Welcome to BITOG.

The Ac Delco filters have changed. I stopped using them. I now use the NAPA silver filter which I think is superior. As for oil? PYB 5W30.

If your going to extended your drains past 6,000 miles than I say go with an extended drain filter. Mobil 1 Ep, Bosch Distance Plus sold at Walmart and Meijers. You could use the Fram X2 which is the best Fram and any other Fram is not for use in extended drains, and on this site nobody likes them. Mobil 1 and Bosch you can pick up at Walmart or Meijer. Some people love Pure One filter, but there really not an extended drain filter but still high quality. As for Synthetics, Mobil 1 is readily available at Walmart and Meijer and is a Top Tier Synthetic.
1`. Champion Labs- Mobil 1, K@N
2. Puralator- PureOne, Bosch Distance Plus
3. Wicks- Wicks, Napa Gold
4. Honeywell- Fram Line-Up

Last edited:
If you have an Advance Auto Parts in your area, they have a great deal going on Castrol Edge and a K and N filter at this time. At least here in the south they do. Good luck

Walmart supertech is fine for 5k. A purolator pure one filter is a good filter for the money. You could run m1 or penn platinum or gsud for 7k if you are doing at least 10 miles on most trips. If you do a lot of short trips ( less than 5-7 miles) then i would use a less expensive dino oil at 3-5 k).

If your only going 5,000 miles a quality Dino(conventional) will be more than adequate for that. At no point is synthetic really better than a Dino for those miles, if your not extending your drains at least to 7000 miles and more than I wouldn't waste money on synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back