Fuel Injection System Clean-160K mile 01 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
One full bottle in a full tank of gas(15-20 gallon tank). Do this twice...

If you can order Redline SI-1($9.95 per bottle) online from Amazon, that is the one I would recommend. Any order from Amazon over $25 includes free shipping. One treatment of Redline(full bottle) may be enough but buy two bottles just in case you need an additional treatment in a second tank of gas.

Last edited:
If your injectors are clogged then maybe spend the money to have them cleaned at the dealership or auto shop. I know they are always trying to up-sell this service and some people do notice a difference in performance.

I just use a low dose of Chevron Techron or the "Original" Gumout/Regane in 12 ounce bottles. IMO....Three ounces of Fuel system cleaner to every 15 gallons of gasoline. I also add a top oil but that is my preference with all of the ethanol in gasoline...especially winter blended gas.

IMO...If you don't use top tier gasoline and your not sure of what additives are in the gasoline, then a maintenance dose, using one ounce to every 5 gallons of gasoline, at each fill up might be your best starting point. You can adjust your additive each subsequent fill up, and find the right amount to add to your tank at each fill up.

Canadian Tire does have the high mileage version of Regane, too. It's attractively priced when it is on sale. The Red Line cleaner may be available where you're at, too. Oddly enough, I get that cheaper than Regane.

With respect to Techron, that could be a problem. I don't know if it's available in Ontario. I haven't seen it here. I saw it only once at a truck stop in Calgary.

Redline MSDS says 30% to 50% PEA. So 15oz would mean 4.5oz to 7.5oz of PEA.

Gumout non concentrated 12oz was 40% to 60% PEA. Now if they have truly doubled the concentration then it is now 80% to 100% PEA. So a 6oz bottle is now 4.8oz to 6oz of PEA.

I would take the lower of both as the comparison so Redline is 4.5oz PEA and Gumout is 4.8oz.

For the price you are paying, it seems Redline from Amazon is cheaper if you can get free shipping.

In any case, use either with confidence. It's truly a small price to pay compared to the benefit you will get.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Redline MSDS says 30% to 50% PEA. So 15oz would mean 4.5oz to 7.5oz of PEA.

Gumout non concentrated 12oz was 40% to 60% PEA. Now if they have truly doubled the concentration then it is now 80% to 100% PEA. So a 6oz bottle is now 4.8oz to 6oz of PEA.

I would take the lower of both as the comparison so Redline is 4.5oz PEA and Gumout is 4.8oz.

For the price you are paying, it seems Redline from Amazon is cheaper if you can get free shipping.

In any case, use either with confidence. It's truly a small price to pay compared to the benefit you will get.

Redline dose is a full bottle in a full tank... You can dose at at 3oz per 20 gallons after you do an intial cleaning... This is from Redline.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

If you can order Redline SI-1($9.95 per bottle) online from Amazon, that is the one I would recommend. Any order from Amazon over $25 includes free shipping. One treatment of Redline(full bottle) may be enough but buy two bottles just in case you need an additional treatment in a second tank of gas.

I agree with Boss. How I typically do it (and how my ASE Master mechanic recommended):

Step 1: Fill an almost empty tank with Premium fuel (even if your car calls for Regular), and add one bottle of your favorite cleaner (Redline, Regane, Techron, etc.). Run this tank until it's nearly empty, until the gas light comes on.

Step 2: Run a tank of Premuim fuel (no cleaner this time)

Step 3: Repeat Step 1.

I typically complete all three steps just before I'm due for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: desmonsm
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I agree with Boss. How I typically do it (and how my ASE Master mechanic recommended):

Step 1: Fill an almost empty tank with Premium fuel (even if your car calls for Regular), and add one bottle of your favorite cleaner (Redline, Regane, Techron, etc.). Run this tank until it's nearly empty, until the gas light comes on.

Step 2: Run a tank of Premuim fuel (no cleaner this time)

Step 3: Repeat Step 1.

I typically complete all three steps just before I'm due for an oil change.

This is good and I do upgrade the fuel, but I usually run the first tank down to an 1/8 and then add the second bottle if needed. I do not skip a tank. I only do the second bottle when dealing with a known dirty neglected fuel system. I also like to see the cleaner stay in the tank about a week... I would not use if I was going on some long drives and going through a full tank in a few days.It seems to work better the longer it sits in the fuel system.

Last edited:
If he wants to save even more, there is also this:

PEA Alternative

Which Canadian Tire says is PEA based.

This is currently on sale for 40% off!! What is the shelf-life? Can I stock up?

Originally Posted By: Jason64

PEA Alternative

Would you guys recommend the above cleaner? The reviews are nothing but positive

Originally Posted By: Striker
Originally Posted By: Jason64

PEA Alternative

Would you guys recommend the above cleaner? The reviews are nothing but positive

Never used that before but I do know Redline works well for a lot of people on this board. Go ahead and try whatever you like...

The Q&A is interesting, at a cheap price wouldn't hurt to try.

Quote:
Does this product contain PolyetherAmines?
Question:
Like any of the actual functional fuel system cleaners like Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane and Redline SI1?
by neumann103
1 year, 9 months ago

Answer:
Ultra Fuel System Treatment 0380752 is a Polyether Amine-based (PEA) fuel additive. The concentration is high enough to allow claims of “clean-up” in specific areas, versus keep-clean, which is a maintenance dosage.

by liz6432(Canadian Tire)
1 year, 9 months ago

Well I usually use dollar tree, but I have used Gumout once, and I have to say it works pretty good. I noticed a big gain in power, and in fuel economy too. Before I put it in there I got about 21 mpg, then I put it on there, and I got 26 mpg. Just about the highest you can get out of a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville. I am very impressed with gumout, and really the only reason I don't buy it is just because it is a little too expensive for my budget, or my greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back