Bulk storage stabilizers/additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting near the time to fill the Farm tank, and we will be going with Marathon Rec 90 because it's the only non ethanol available around here anymore.

300 Gallons worth will go fast in July and August, but untill then it will primarily be used in small engines, so I am thinking of what if any additives are available and reccomended
to keep the Gas from degrading for 6-7 months.

Yes, I did run a search. I am not finding anything.

Thanks!

Startron....
thumbsup2.gif

OK...Startron.

Where does one find the stuff in bulk for use in a 300gallon tank?

Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: Farmmal
OK...Startron.

Where does one find the stuff in bulk for use in a 300gallon tank?

Thanks!!

According to the picture from the WallyWorld website, each 8 oz. bottle of Startron can treat up to 128 gallons. Pick up 3 bottles and you will have more than enough. A 32 oz. bottle (with free shipping) can be picked up from Amazon if you don't want to drive. Otherwise checkout the starbrite site and plug-in your zip code to find a dealer near you.

PRI-G and FP+, and you should ask both companies about lower doses for bulk use. I remember, barely, that in the past both have said that they recommend a higher dose on the bottle for use in a vehicle than you would need in a bulk tank because of the fact that splash blending in the filler neck of a gas tank is hit or miss. My relatives with farm tanks have used FP60 and PRI-D and a biocide (whatever was cheapest) for a long time for fuel that may sit half a year and have no fuel issues. Some of that may be that they always put a filter cap on the bulk tank and have it under a shelter, and those basic steps keeps the fuel cooler, the rain out, and the dust out, and they have a pump with two Racor filters, not just a gravity drain. Still, that mix has given them no issues at all. Additionally, they don't have that layer of crud at the bottom of the tank that most bulk diesel tanks have -- nothing settles out in the time it sits and everything but large chunks of rust winds up in the filter.

Thanks Latenite!!

Our last go around with our normal fuel guy and the 10% Ethanol [censored] didn't go well. Normally we just have them add thier additives, and we never had problems, so I never even really considered it much, just swapped out the filters every spring.
Something changed, so I am going back to Non ethanol and a different distributor and paying attention this time.

I'll look up the PRI-G and FP+ and see if it is available around here.

Thanks again!!

Sorry that you had issues last time. What may have changed was the time that the ethanol had to sit and accumulate water. That's an issue.

I tend to think that a good additive mixed in properly with non-ethanol gas would last just fine over a six month period. Lots of old timers around here swore by Marvel Mystery Oil, and some would add a detergent. Before my relatives started using PRI-D and FP60 they used a detergent from Primrose Oil called "Injector Professor" that had been around since the 1950s and Marvel Mystery Oil. Their tanks were always clean. Then, they switched to FP60 instead of Marvel Mystery Oil, and later to PRI-D from Injector Professor. I think that the important thing is to dose properly, not to excess, and to use a good additive. Lots of people with bulk tanks just add a bottle of Power Service when they tank up and it's better than nothing by a long shot.

Whatever you use, even Star-Tron (with electrolytes, like Brawndo), call the manufacturer and ask about the rates for dosing bulk tanks. They may be half of what they would otherwise suggest and I think (with no real evidence, admittedly) that a lot of the bad rap that Stabil built up over the years was because people would use 800% more than they were supposed to and "it would gum up over the winter". Actually, they would add an ounce to a quart tank when they were supposed to use an ounce to a gallon, and unsurprisingly the small engine would run strangely for a while afterwards. You may be able to spend a lot less money and get perfectly acceptable performance with the blessings of the manufacturer.

Latenite,

Our issues were with water, detonation in a couple critical old Waukesha engines, and fuel lines in several small engines.
I hate rebuilding dinky OPE Carbs.

The fuel distributor put his usual stuff in the tank, and while we do have issues with water around here(LOL!!) it was the first time I had head about Ethanol going corrosive. The worst part of it was dealing with 60-70 Gallons that I couldn't burn up in the truck, and didn't want to run in anything I had already repaired. Ended up using it to whoof start brush piles, and that HURTS the wallet watching.

Screw it. Back to the real stuff.
Got the Tanks cleaned out and dried, and they are fine.

Electrolytes..it's what plants crave. LOL!!
I wondered about that claim, as it's cartoonish.

I E-mailed the distributor concerning thier stabilizer additives to see what they are using, and if they will back it up, I might just go that route, but the PRI-D is good to know as effective.

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back