BG 44K Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test Subject
2008 Mustang v6 48k miles

I'm not one to look toward for answers, but this stuff works. I have tried seafoam in low concentrations in the fuel tank before and noticed nothing. You can claim placebo effect, but wouldn't I notice that with seafoam? After driving about 80 miles or so my butt dyno tells a difference. Going through the RPM's seems more fluid, the car revs smoother/nicer, engine sounds different, the exhaust smells different(not like it means anything), increase in throttle response, and we will see if I notice a MPG increase. I know many of you are against fuel additives, but it seems to work. Now before you say anything, yes this is my word against yours. I have no test or an analysis, Im just an average joe who likes throwing money at my car. Let the debate begin

I never felt a difference after a bottle in the gas cleaners. The only time I could feel a difference was when I did a combination piston soak for the first time. It was like WOW, at least 10% more torque/power and no more pinging uphill.

Originally Posted By: Sixxer
Test Subject
2008 Mustang v6 48k miles

I'm not one to look toward for answers, but this stuff works. I have tried seafoam in low concentrations in the fuel tank before and noticed nothing. You can claim placebo effect, but wouldn't I notice that with seafoam? After driving about 80 miles or so my butt dyno tells a difference. Going through the RPM's seems more fluid, the car revs smoother/nicer, engine sounds different, the exhaust smells different(not like it means anything), increase in throttle response, and we will see if I notice a MPG increase. I know many of you are against fuel additives, but it seems to work. Now before you say anything, yes this is my word against yours. I have no test or an analysis, Im just an average joe who likes throwing money at my car. Let the debate begin

BG44K is still the best fuel system cleaner and does a very good job cleaning... You can tell a difference after 50-100 miles, especially if you had dirty fuel injectors. BG also does an excellent job of cleaning the carbon out of the top end/head. Redline is also an excellent product.

Last edited:
Sixxer,

I believe you. What other cleaners did you try before? Seafoam in gas tank does not have much ability as fuel system cleaner. If you had tried Regane, Techron, Redline etc and nothing had worked but BG44K had made a difference, we would be all ears.

- Vikas

All I have used in the past is seafoam. I just read so much good stuff about BG44k I had to try it. Im on the second day of using it and it ROCKS! I think this will become a routine maintenance for me and use seafoam through the brake booster or maybe even forget seafoam overall and do a MMO piston soak(I heard those are good)
Overall I am quite impressed and will try it on some other cars to see what results I can get.

All I have used in the past is seafoam. I just read so much good stuff about BG44k I had to try it. Im on the second day of using it and it ROCKS! I think this will become a routine maintenance for me and use seafoam through the brake booster or maybe even forget seafoam overall and do a MMO piston soak(I heard those are good)
Overall I am quite impressed and will try it on some other cars to see what results I can get.

BG44K is known for cleaning up carbon deposits in the head and top end. I would not use Seafoam because I have never seen any good results from using it.

BG44K can be purchased online at Ebay and at some specialty auto/racing stores.

I usually save the BG44K for fuel systems/engines that I know are very dirty or that have a known problem with carbon build up.

If mainly used for fuel issues/cleaning and not carbon issues then I would opt for Redline SI-1. Redline cleans fuel injectors/systems very well.

Last edited:
You can find it on ebay and get a good deal if you buy a few. They usually run around $23 +/- $3. Also if you go to the BG product website they have a dealer finder if you wanted to shop locally.

Are you saying that BG would give me the same benifits as a piston soak, and to use redline instead?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

BG44K is known for cleaning up carbon deposits in the head and top end. I would not use Seafoam because I have never seen any good results from using it.

I usually save the BG44K for fuel systems/engines that I know are very dirty or that have a known problem with carbon build up.

If mainly used for fuel issues/cleaning and not carbon issues then I would opt for Redline SI-1. Redline cleans fuel injectors/systems very well.

Then you are using SF incorrectly.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874

Then you are using SF incorrectly.

No... I have used it many times in the last 25 years and it really does not do much. Most mechanics I know have also never seen any real improvement with its use. Trust me, I have purchased it many times in the past and know how to use it per Seafoams instructions.

I've used it for the past 12 years with noticeable improvements in throttle/idle/etc...

Of course this differs with each car DI/EFI/etc....

Wasn't meaning to be argumentative...

I've used it for the past 12 years with noticeable improvements in throttle/idle/etc...

Thats OK, sorry if I was. Maybe it does work in some minor cases but I have tried it in some neglected fuel systems and it did not show any improvement.

You can find it on ebay and get a good deal if you buy a few. They usually run around $23 +/- $3. Also if you go to the BG product website they have a dealer finder if you wanted to shop locally.

Are you saying that BG would give me the same benifits as a piston soak, and to use redline instead?

Thanks - I did check into a dealer and found one approx 3 miles from me. Going to get some and run it the week before oil change. I put on over 400 miles a week mostly highway getting to/from work.

Thats OK, sorry if I was. Maybe it does work in some minor cases but I have tried it in some neglected fuel systems and it did not show any improvement.

I agree, I only use it as a maint item.... If it's too far gone NO bottled anything will work.. lol

Originally Posted By: Errtt

Thanks - I did check into a dealer and found one approx 3 miles from me. Going to get some and run it the week before oil change. I put on over 400 miles a week mostly highway getting to/from work.

I do recommend running it in your fuel for as long as possible. I get about a week and a few days out of my tank with a lot of short trips. This actually helps when running an additive because it gives it time to work. If you run through a tank quickly I might actually recommend either 2 cans back to back or 1/2 a can for 2 tanks. You also could try BG and then try Regane,Redline,Techron, or Amsoil

I noticed a difference quickly though, so you will most likely be fine with one can. You can always run one and see if it works. You could pull a spark plug and look to see if there is bad carbon buildup.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Is this BG44K usually available at the chains (NAPA, AZ etc.)?

CarQuest by me has it, for like 25 dollars a can. yikes.

I noticed a difference quickly though, so you will most likely be fine with one can. You can always run one and see if it works. You could pull a spark plug and look to see if there is bad carbon buildup.

I agree, run one can and see how it works... Hopefully a tank can last you a week or more because I think it works better when it is able to sit in the tank/fuel system for a week or more. After the first 1/2-3/4 of the tank, a few Italian tuneup runs would not hurt. LOL. Within the law of course.

Last edited:
Just my input on this subject..

I have been advised by Jaguar Techs, Mercedes Techs and GM Techs, that BG-44K is like a shot of penicillin for the whole fuel system, right down to the injector tips and upper cylinders parts...This stuff is awesome...I've been using BG-44K since the early 2000's..I use to use Red-line SI-1 for ever since I can remember..but it always said use it in every tank full..And I never had any problems.

But Now I have learned about BG-44K and it's wondrous cleaning abilities that I use ONLY BG-44K now..But to use it correctly...One should first on an older engine that has never had the treatment...Go to a service center somewhere (Most GM and Jaguar and Mercedes dealers offer it)..And have what is called a "Fuel Induction cleaning" and servicing with the complete line of BG Fuel system cleaning and conditioning products..they finish the process off, by adding a full can of BG-44K to a FULL TANK OF GAS..Then the deal is, you use a full can to a full tank every 5000 miles, then run it to almost empty and no more or less, just every 5000 miles there after forever and you'll never have an injector or upper cylinder carbon problem again...If you start with using a can of BG-44K From the Very 1st 5000 miles, you'll never need the full fuel system cleaning treatment.

So anyway, don't trust me..Call a Jaguar service dealer near you and ask them what they would recommend or use...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back