OEM-style suspension brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front struts on my Civic are ready to be replaced, and as the springs have a good deal of rust on them I'm contemplating a complete strut assembly replacement.

RockAuto has the following brands:
Raybestos, $70
Monroe, $90

Amazon also has FCS brand for $80.

Any recommendations?

I understand the Monroes are good but that feedback was for the Sensatrac versions. I understand they have a more economical version available too. IDK if both are available for your Civic.

It may be the econo-versions will do fine for your driving and future "vehicle retention" plans.

^ What eagle said.

Monroe's Sensatrac line should be comparable to OEM. Their cheaper version is well, cheaper. I have their cheap line of shocks on my truck and one of the rear ones may have a small leak. They do have a lifetime warranty, but you don't want to have to replace struts again.

If you want to keep the car another decade, you may want to move up to Sensatracs. If you are planning to get rid of the car in the next few years, I'd go for a cheaper strut.

If you intend to keep the car, go OEM, make friends with a parts guy at HOnda, I get up to 25% discount!

Monroe also has a quick strut for some applications with a spring/shock . No spring compressor needed,

Years ago I had problem with Monroe strut not lasting on my Dodge Caravan, so I went with OEM which was less in price. I might have had the cheaper Monroe, I don't remember.
I would do with Honda OEM.

Quick strut link http://www.monroe.com/products/Quick-Strut

Last edited:
Regardless of the brand you choose, I would give some serious consideration to replace all four at once. I had a 1991 Si and replaced only the fronts. While I drove the car for quite a while with that setup, it was a handling hazard to me and to others on the road.

While this is not the most economical choice, those cars are GREAT when you install KYB's.

Monroe is junk. OEM is 95 bux each for damper at any honda online retailer which is 30% off the 136 retail price. (www.myimportparts.com)

www.shockwarehouse.com has KYB for about the same price as junk monroes $56 shipped each.

KYB is easily the best quality/price value here. I would get the rubber bushings and washers and new mount nuts (aka "mounting kit) too.

There are two types of Monroe struts availible for some cars:
1. Sensa-trac. They are good. They are painted black
2. Econo-matic or Monroe-matic. Avoid them, they never last more than 30,000 miles. They are painted blue.

Quick struts contain Sensa-trac struts, however, there is a similar product that contains the inferior product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back