New Wix filter for Subaru Applications - 23 psi's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, I didn't realize when I started that thread, the debate that would unfold.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
...........So that might mean the engine will flow this 12.4 GPM at 5000 RPM with 176 deg F oil when the oil pump is maxed out at 85 PSI (ie, in pressure relief mode).

Maybe the answer is somewhere in this 21 page thread about Subaru oil pumps and filters:
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1861033&page=1

Trying to figure out what the Xref is for this Wix filter, as mentioned nothing on their website about it. I too wonder if it has an adbv? The info/pic for the Napa doesn't indicate that it has one.

Purolator makes the P1 PL14460 which has 20-25 bypass psi.

Whatever the reason, Subarus do seem to have/require relatively high bypass psi specs.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
.... I too wonder if it has an adbv? The info/pic for the Napa doesn't indicate that it has one.

Purolator makes the P1 PL14460 which has 20-25 bypass psi.

The Napa Gold version FIL 7712 does indicate that it has a Silicon ADBV.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL7712_0352281275
Quote:
Part Number: FIL 7712
Product Line: NAPA Gold Filters
Attributes:
Beta Ratio : 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure : 300 psi
Flow Rate : 9 - 11 gpm
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.173"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 55 mm
Media Type : Cellulose
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (Inches) : 2.475"
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (mm) : 63 mm
Oil Filter Height (Inches) : 2.577"
Oil Filter Height (mm) : 65 mm
Oil Filter O.D. (Inches) : 2.685"
Oil Filter O.D. (mm) : 68 mm
Oil Filter Style : Spin-On Lube Filter
Oil Filter Thread Size (mm) : 20 x 1.50 mm
Features and Benefits: Best Efficiency + Capacity In Industry
Steel Coil Spring
Spiral Wound Center Tube For Industry Leading Strength
Has a 23 lb. By-Pass Relief Valve Setting
Silicon Anti-Drain Back Valve - Industry Leading Life

Holds 45% More Dirt, Last 30% Longer Than Other Leading Brands
21 Micron

While yes the Purolator PL14460 does have the correct bypass valve spec, its increased size puts it too close to the header on many Subarus. Even the little difference between the two in size starts to show up in the oil temps for some or some of those with aftermarket headers can't fit it at all. The OEM Honeywell/Subaru 152208AA12A measures:

OD: 68.3mm
Length: 67mm

While the Purolator PL14460 measures:
OD: 80.01mm
Legnth: 74.93mm

11.71mm larger in diameter, and 7.93mm taller.

^^^^Yeah, different filter than Napa Platinum (PFL41365) link posted above to which I was referring in my previous post.

Still no Xref to be found on the FIL 7712. What Subaru models does it fit?

Apparently the PL14460 works on Subaru's like the 05 WRX STi where the exhaust manifold/header doesn't surround the filter. fwiw, that filter location (surrounded by header) is one of the strangest I've seen.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Ah yes, I didn't realize when I started that thread, the debate that would unfold.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
...........So that might mean the engine will flow this 12.4 GPM at 5000 RPM with 176 deg F oil when the oil pump is maxed out at 85 PSI (ie, in pressure relief mode).

Maybe the answer is somewhere in this 21 page thread about Subaru oil pumps and filters:
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1861033&page=1

World's best oil filter thread!
lol.gif

And I'm sure there are folks that believe that we way overanalyze this and have run 8-11 psi filters for hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem.

-Dennis

At present the 7712 is currently listed for:
- Forester 2001-present EJ25(NA/Turbo)
- Impreza 2001-present EJ25(NA/Turbo)
- Legacy/Outback 2001-present EJ25(NA/Turbo)

Basically any 2001+ EJ25. However I would expect that to change as Subaru currently specs the 15208AA12A filter for these vehicles.
- Legacy H4(NA and Turbo) 1990-2012
- Impreza(NA and Turbo) 1993-2011
- Impreza STI 2004-2011
- Forester(NA and Turbo) 1998-2010
- Baja(NA and Turbo) 2003-2006

It will be next to impossible to find an appropriate cross-reference via other manufactures Xref tools when WIX is the first to correct their filter for this application and their own site has yet to be updated and this filter(WIX 57712) remains absent.

The FIL 7712 filter can be found at Napa using the vehicle part finder drill down or by searching directly by part number on Napaonline.com/napaprolink.com. The Buyer's Guide on Napaonline.com for this filter has yet to be updated with the list of vehicles it fit and remains empty. It doesn't show up at all on Napafilters.com

Oddly enough Napa's own local in store software does not show this filter at all by vehicle application or by part number and still calls for the 1365 filter(and variations) as being the correct filter for those vehicle application. Yet when calling a Napa distribution center(Genuine Parts Company) they show the FIL 7712 filter by part number, but not yet by application.

Sadly we truely have more info then they and other filter manufactures do at the moment.

I wonder if the flow rate of whatever oil filter is used effects the oil pressure seen by the solenoid that triggers the i-Active Valve Lift system on equipped models?

Napa Gold 7712

Specs:

OD:
63mm
Length: 65mm
Thread: M20x1.5, Roll-formed
Spring type: Coil
Bypass Valve: 23 PSID, Upfront.
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes, Silicone
Media type: Cellulose
Media Surface area: 288.23cm2
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Flow Rate: 9 - 11 gpm
Gasket style: Square ring
Oil inlet hole/s area: Eight 6.25mm holes. 245.44mm2.
End caps: Metal
Can side thickness: .33mm

For those curious, The outlet hole in the oil filter mounting stud measures 12.25mm via a gage pin, an area of 117.85881189482959mm2 or ~1.17859cm2.

Originally Posted By: flstffxe
Napa Gold 7712

Specs:
Media Surface area:
288.23cm2

That's only 44.7 sq-in. Too small.
shocked.gif

Media surface area should be 303.4cm2, I copied the wrong set of numbers there.

Still... ~47sq in.

The old OEM Roki was 800cm2/124in2.

The new OEM blue Honeywell is 473.7cm2/73.42in2.

Last edited:
The media area specified in the FSM for the OE filter was around 73 sq in for the small 65mm OD filter, and 124 sq in for the large 68mm OD filter.

Last edited:
Of course 2D surface area leaves a lot unknown as filter media is 3D.

IMO, media surface area is still important regardless of the media material used.

Of course 2D surface area leaves a lot unknown as filter media is 3D.

IMO, media surface area is still important regardless of the media material used.

No arguments there. Just playing devils advocate, saying one can't make a apples to apples comparison unless both filters are using the same exact media.

That being said, I too feel it is lacking some area. Would even trade the upfront bypass valve for one on a end cap to gain some room for more media.

Here is to hoping other manufactures develope a cross-referance for this filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Has anyone actually used this filter yet?

Running the Napa Gold 7712 on 2 NA '08 Foresters at the moment. I am still not sold on the small media surface are, to me it looks to be a 3,000-4,000 mile filter and that is it.

Last edited:
Fram has also released a Extraguard that looks to meet the Subaru bypass spec. 22PSID +/- 6PSID(curiously large tolerance)
Part Details

Extraguard PH9715
Code:
Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on

Anti-Drain Valve
YES

Gasket I.D. 2.21"

Gasket O.D. 2.48"

Gasket Thickness .21"

Gasket Usage Base

Product Height 2.63"

Product I.D. 20mmx1.5mm Th'd

Product O.D. 2.69"

Relief Valve Setting PSI 16-28

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Has anyone actually used this filter yet?

I don't know about the Gold version, but I picked up a Napa Pro Select 27712 today for $4.24, along with Napa full synthetic 5w30 for $3.79/qt.

This Pro Select per the box is a Wix/Affinia, made in Gastonia NC. Dude at the counter didn't even ask what version (gold or otherwise) I wanted, just offered this one.

cid__0508121646.jpg

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back