MOS2 Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Civic, the manual states to disconnect the IACV(EACV) at full temp with ALL accessories off, etc. Headlights off, etc. Then adjust the idle speed screw to the proper spec. Like around 400 RPM for my car. Once that is done, reconnect the IACV. It should now be around 600-700 depending on the sub-model Civic you own. Lastly, there are some checks on the idle RPM speed with different loads on the engine, headlights on , etc.

I have yet to do this, but may eventually after I clean the IACV I have/replace the gasket and hunt for any other idle issues. Instead of a fast idle valve on the VX, unlike other Civics, my car has a vacuum control 'box' that may/may not be attributing to the idle symptoms that I'm having. Aside from air in the cooling system, EGR or fuel system related issues, that is what affects idle for these cars.

Okay, I found it's called the Constant Vacuum Control Valve; it's related to the EGR system, housed in a separate Control Box on the firewall of the engine bay. Apparently, EGR system included said CVCV, EGR solenoid(in this control box) and the EGR valve itself are the #1 thing to check on the VX model of the Civic, with PCV valve #2 as far as the VX and rough idle issues. It's also the primary culprit of rough idle and stalling after warming up. I don't have any CEL, though. It could be a number of things or the PCV system might be clogged somewhere I'm not seeing. Anyway, MoS2 didn't affect my idle much as far as I can tell, but these Honda's have so many things contributing to a 'healthy' or even 'tolerable' idle as most know that have worked on a Honda.

From what I can tell this is a good list relative to idle for the VX(EGR more important on this model than other Civics), after verifying there is no air in the cooling system then as follows:

Vacuum leaks(hoses free of obstruction or any holes/tears?)
EGR system(including CVCV inside of Control Box)
PCV system
IACV/FIV(if equipped)
Ignition components
Fuel system/fuel quality

The 1993 Civic doesn't have an EGR valve. The idle is still holding at 750 RPM, the Moly must have cut friction enough to bring the idle back in range.
I can now easily see the oil level on the dip stick due to the added MOLYSLIP.

Originally Posted By: harry j
The 1993 Civic doesn't have an EGR valve.

AutoZone lists replacement PCV valves for both the 1.5L & 1.6L 1993 Civics.

Yes, IIRC only the VX(my car) has EGR on that generation of Civics up to a point.

I just thought it was funny the Civic VX is so wildly different from the other Civics, in a sense anyway yet still can have the idle from hades issues!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back