Fuel Injection System Clean-160K mile 01 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new winter beater with 160K miles on her. Car is clean but I'd be willing to bet that the original woman owner never put any fuel injector/fuel system cleaner thru it.

I have the Gumout products available locally- us Canadians don't have the luxury of so many different brands at hand so we have to work with what we have.

Any ones that works better than others?

The only choice is Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Regane High Mileage, and All In One Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

I use the All In One as I get two treatments out of one bottle and it's cheaper. At 160k, it sounds like you will need to do the same.

More info at this post:

More info on Gumout

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket
The only choice is Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Regane High Mileage, and All In One Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

More info at this post:

More info on Gumout

+1 The regane is good stuff. Chevron techron is good as well.

Just keep using fresh gas and you'll be good to go.

If you WANT (different from need) just grab a bottle of Chevron Techron and use it one tank.

IF the gumout is easier to get use it.

But if the vehicle sees fresh fuel and is used (ie does not take 2 months to use a tank) I doubt it needs anything.

Take care and be safe with the new ride!

Bill

I have to say I disagree. I have a car that I have owned from 25k to it's now 67k. Car has been perfectly maintained and serviced.

I used non top tier fuel and the car was used continuously it's entire life. It did see a period of mainly short trips though.

I had been wondering why the performance had deteriorated so much, despite taking it for longer journeys and initially noticing an improvement from that.

After one bottle of Gumout All In One (35 gallon treatment in less than a 20 gallon tank), the difference in performance and mpg is like night and day.

Last edited:
It so depends on the local gas stations...

I rarely use these cleaners, unless I get some bad gas.

If I feel like giving my car a treat, then it gets some 89....

Yeah id definitely get a bottle of techron ,redline ,or regain high milage and.use the whole bottle on a full tank as a shock dose. Ive felt a difference even in a car thats only seen top tier gas with 150k+ miles

I'm a firm believer in Chevron Techron as I've had it work for me. If you start using top tier gas in a car from new, I suspect you wouldn't need a cleaner, but with a used car, who knows

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
I'm a firm believer in Chevron Techron as I've had it work for me. If you start using top tier gas in a car from new, I suspect you wouldn't need a cleaner, but with a used car, who knows

Not according to the member 2 posts above your post.

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Yeah id definitely get a bottle of techron ,redline ,or regain high milage and.use the whole bottle on a full tank as a shock dose. Ive felt a difference even in a car thats only seen top tier gas with 150k+ miles

Bill

I truly believe that anyone using ethanol gas could benefit from using Redline SI-1, Techron, BG44K, etc once every OCI to keep the fuel system clean... Although, I have found that in older higher mileage vehicles, you need to use Techron in two straight tanks of gas to get good results. For whatever reason, I believe Redline and BG44K clean better in one dose application then any of the other cleaners. In some vehicles I have used two doses of Redline and BG44K because the fuel systems were neglected and the performance results were like night and day... Big difference.

Last edited:
Ok gumout all in one it is. With the car having 160K miles, I just plan on dumping the whole bottle in there on next fill.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Ok gumout all in one it is. With the car having 160K miles, I just plan on dumping the whole bottle in there on next fill.

This could help you but you may want to use it in two straight tanks of gas... Let us know your results after the first full tank.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: Striker

This could help you but you may want to use it in two straight tanks of gas... Let us know your results after the first full tank.

Sorry for the brain [censored]- you're saying two bottles, one per full tank of fuel?

Never mind- i dont even have All in one available locally. This is what I'm working with:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/search_results.jsp?quick_search_term=Fuel+System+Treatments+%26+Cleaners&searchRefinementEvent=event21&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmUID=1327951897025

Last edited:
No use the All In One, half a bottle two tanks in a row!

I've just read the original Chevron PEA scientific paper and you get diminishing returns with shock treatments.

Two consecutive treatments with recommended doses is more effective than one treatment with double dose.

See my other post for a link to the scientific paper which is hard to read, but I've read it all thoroughly!

Even better, try to get your All In One from Big Lots. It's $4.

Lastly, don't go all out on the freeway on the next two tanks. The cleaner works best through short journeys where the cleaner has time to soak. Again, this is proved from the scientific research.

Last edited:
^Well, I think his issue is product availability being in Canada and the All-In-One at the Canadian Tire linked seems to be the Fuel Injector Cleaner...depending on his tank size he could do half a bottle each tank, same thing, with the High Mileage. Just dilute it some, but honestly I don't see harm in using the entire bottle, even if it may be OD depending on tank size.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Well, I think his issue is product availability being in Canada and the All-In-One at the Canadian Tire linked seems to be the Fuel Injector Cleaner...depending on his tank size he could do half a bottle each tank, same thing, with the High Mileage. Just dilute it some, but honestly I don't see harm in using the entire bottle, even if it may be OD depending on tank size.

Thanks for correcting me. I missed that.

For $2 less, he should go for this.
Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner

While it says fuel injector in the description, it's actually the Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner (zoom the pic). The $2 extra for high mileage doesn't get you much extra. Some people say it has more PEA but a Gumout person actually said it has some friction modifiers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back