Reuse drain plug gasket???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to do my OC today and realized I didn't have an extra gasket for my Civic's plug. I've always changed them every OC, but today I may make an exception, depending on how much flack I get.
smile.gif
I had a 95 Prelude when I was younger and reused the same gasket probably 6 times and never leaked a drop... Is it OK to use one more time? Local parts store doesn't have any in stock and the dealership is several miles away (I pass it during the week
frown.gif
). Anyway, what do you think?

I've always reused mine without any problems. Perhaps the quick-lube place replaces it when I go there though.

I even made the novice mistake of failing to replace the gasket on the transmission pan after dropping it. Never lost any ATF.

On the other hand, I'll probably get a new drain plug and gasket on the next oil change b/c I have some oil seepage (0.5-1.5L between oil changes) and it would be nice to rule out something so simple.

Supposed to be replaced everytime on Hondas. But a few times is okay. Ive had ones where the aluminium gasket is squeezed out from between the plug and pan. That is when you know its been used too much.
Have a WalMart TLE nearby? Ask one of the guys there if they have a gasket you can have. They keep a supply.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think you can get a few changes out of a drain plug washer. What kind of washer is it?

The one on the car now is one from AAP (although every one before this has been from Honda), and it wasn't on the shelf either. It was behind the counter and more expensive than the others. Not sure what brand, but I believe I recall reading it was made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I've always flipped them around and re-used them once. Never had a problem.

Good idea, thanks!

The Honda ones can usually be reused a few times. The Toyota ones with the Teflon coating cannot. The Nissan ones DEFINITELY cannot.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
18.gif

I'm the king of this... my apologies. Since I mainly trust the opinions of BITOGERs most, I figured it would be quickest to post a new thread with my specific application. Thanks to all the helpful responses. Greatly appreciated.

I never bought a washer, Honda or Toyota and never leaked oil from the drain plug. My ex Camry has seen 9 oil changes on the washer it came with (bought at 148k). But that's just my experience.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
I never bought a washer, Honda or Toyota and never leaked oil from the drain plug. My ex Camry has seen 9 oil changes on the washer it came with (bought at 148k). But that's just my experience.

Same here.

Not having one is one thing. No big deal. But they do actually crush. Whether that makes any difference, ymmv. But for 90c I splurge for every change.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Honda ones can usually be reused a few times. The Toyota ones with the Teflon coating cannot. The Nissan ones DEFINITELY cannot.

agree on Toyota, my toyota dealer will give u one.

Please "learn" me.

Are Honda gaskets different than the flat washer type I am accustomed to?

Are they like a spark plug gasket that is curved (sometimes two pieces) and actually crushes and deforms (not like a flat gasket).

Thanks

I'm not sure how different they are, but yes, they do "crush" when you tighten them. They are flat, not curved. They look just like the one from any parts store...

The aluminum washer on the fill plug on my Legend's manual trans was re-used so much, it actually was curled over the flanged portion of the plug. I had to cut it off to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back