Napa Gold vs. Platinum oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Napa Gold (or at least for the last 10 years). Platinum isn't available for my vehicle, yet, but will be soon. Is it worth it if I use PP or Mobil 1 and change every 6k miles? Or with the platinum, could I go to say 8k miles?

Last edited:
Maybe, depending upon the vehicle, mileage, use, climate, age, etc.

Not a Model T, I hope!

Perhaps a tiny bit more info might be warranted?

Cheers!

p.s. The answer is probably yes, regardless of filter used.

Originally Posted By: neustkg
I've always used Napa Gold (or at least for the last 10 years). Platinum isn't available for my vehicle, yet, but will be soon. Is it worth it if I use PP or Mobil 1 and change every 6k miles? Or with the platinum, could I go to say 8k miles?

Yes..

Your using the right oil just get your self the NP and you'll be able to do 8-10k OCI no problem.

what car and engine?

It's a very new (5k miles) Chevy Traverse with 3.6L direct injection engine. I recently changed oil at about 5k miles (first oil change) and used a Napa Gold filter and Mobil 1 5W/30 synthetic. I usually go by the oil life indicator, which puts us at about 5k miles the way we've been driving. The vehicle has been on the highway for very short distances so far (up to 70mph for very short periods), and has been driven around town, and on our local 4 lane commuter roads (one traffic light about every 1-3 miles), so the speed has definitely been varied. It's probably OK now to take it on longer highway driving since it's probably broken in (if engines need breaking in now).

I'm thinking if I go say 9k miles between oil changes, it would be at about 6 months of driving, so I might just want to shoot for an oil change every 6 months regardless if I use the PP and NP filter.

Last edited:
Just make sure you do not go past 0% on the OLM. Warranty, remember...
Enjoy the vehicle! use it in good health.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnachak
Just make sure you do not go past 0% on the OLM. Warranty, remember...
Enjoy the vehicle! use it in good health.

OK, I will probably stick w/PP or M1, whatever is cheaper and Napa Gold filter and as you say don't go past 0% on OLM. The drivetrain warranty is 100k miles on this vehicle, though.

Given the reported issues with intake valve deposits on the GM DI engines-you want to use a top-shelf, Dexos LICENSED motor oil, document EVERY oil change with receipts. Your OCI is going to be too short to spend the cash on the Platinum-a Gold, Pure One, or even Purolator Classic would get the job done.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Given the reported issues with intake valve deposits on the GM DI engines
Can you post where these issues are reported?

Given the reported issues with intake valve deposits on the GM DI engines-you want to use a top-shelf, Dexos LICENSED motor oil, document EVERY oil change with receipts. Your OCI is going to be too short to spend the cash on the Platinum-a Gold, Pure One, or even Purolator Classic would get the job done.

Are you talking more about Intake Manifold Gasket problems? Now that has definitely been a problem in the past.

Warranty and the fact that it is a GM DI which have been showing that they are pretty hard on the oil. Lots of talk here about them and many UOAs and has been mentioned that GM reprogrammed the OLM on these vehicles reducing the mas OCI that the OLM will allow. Being a new vehicle it should already have the updated program and a 5K change says it's likely but I would inquire with the dealership just to be sure.

I would do some more reading here before making any decisions.

As for the filter, Napa Golds are good filters. I'm not sure the jury is in yet on the Platinum, for sure a well constructed filter but not a lot of info on it's efficiency. Being an extended drain filter it may initially be less efficient and you might be better served by a Gold at your OCI.

Originally Posted By: iExcel
Do a search on this site-been pretty widely covered here and elsewhere. Severe enough to cause GM to recalibrate the OLM on the DI engines.

Originally Posted By: iExcel
Do a search on this site-been pretty widely covered here and elsewhere. Severe enough to cause GM to recalibrate the OLM on the DI engines.

The OLM was recalibrated for timing chain issues. I have never heard of deposit issues in the 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back