Can I bleed all 4 brakes at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of any logical reason why not, other than the reservoir draining 4x faster, and the fact that there is a bleed order for my car (which many people go by a different, unofficial order).

In a word, YES, but the flow is faster one at a time thus the chance of moving bubbles and dirt is more likely.

MHO

What do you mean by bleed?

If you're pressure bleeding - then I suppose you could, but how do you watch all 4 (in some cases more) points at once to know you're done?

If you're pumping the pedal, how do you close all 4 at once for the return stroke?

IF you're just opening all the bleeders and gravity draining, you're not going to get all the air out...

So, I am having trouble understanding what you're talking about...when I pressure bleed, if the car is already up...it takes 10 minutes, tops...and that's following the car's recommended order...

Originally Posted By: flyingtoaster
I can't think of any logical reason why not, other than the reservoir draining 4x faster, and the fact that there is a bleed order for my car (which many people go by a different, unofficial order).

why on earth would you want to do this? YOu would have o go around and close each bleeder at the bottom of the pedal stoke to keep air from getting in. It would take forever to do.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
IF you're just opening all the bleeders and gravity draining, you're not going to get all the air out...

I have never done this myself but once (twenty years ago!) the mechanic did it for me. The car was in for some other job and he just hooked up the four bottles while he was working inside the engine compartment. I had phenomenal pedal after that.

You sure can bleed all 4 at the same time. Just use the "gravity" method. That's where you simply open all the bleeders at once and allow the fluid to run through by itself, keeping a sharp eye on the reservoir so it doesn't run dry.

The problem I've found with the gravity method is that the calipers/cylinders don't always want to "start" unless you use a Mity-Vac, or mouth suction through a hose to get them going, and the dripping fluid can make a real mess on the brakes and floor. Putting hoses on caliper bleed nipples tends to prevent gravity from working, since caliper nipples tend to point upwards.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Astro14

I have never done this myself but once (twenty years ago!) the mechanic did it for me. The car was in for some other job and he just hooked up the four bottles while he was working inside the engine compartment. I had phenomenal pedal after that.

I see no real benefit from doing all 4 at once vs 1 at a time and in the correct order.

If you get the 1 man bleeder kit x4 and hook up all 4 calipers at once, it could be done.

I usually like to take my time and have an assistant help with the brake pedal while i insure that ALL old fluid is removed and clean juice is coming out of each caliper.

Vikas, you had great pedal feel simply because the brake fluid was changed, not because of the method used
33.gif

Gravity bleed, yes. Otherwise I would worry that one corner has less restriction than the rest and would get most if not all of the new fluid.

How do they do it to new cars at the factory? I bet it's a gravity bleed, but would be very interested.

My lines usually bleed fast.

So you have bleed these line before? What problems are you having that you need to do this again?

For one man:
A 4 wheel bleed is viable for a gravity bleed and also if you have special bleed valve type bleeders and you pump the pedal [one way flow].
BTW, a gravity bleed IS a pressure bleed, just with lower pressure.
It works great, generally.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

How do they do it to new cars at the factory? I bet it's a gravity bleed, but would be very interested.

My understanding is that they use a pressure-bleed system at the factory. A device is clamped to the Master Cylinder reservoir and fluid is forced through until all bubbles are gone from the bleed nipples. I wonder how they deal with stubborn bubbles, such as those that can stick in rear calipers which incorporate a parking brake. Maybe the turbulence of the forced-fluid does that on its own?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
For one man:
A 4 wheel bleed is viable for a gravity bleed and also if you have special bleed valve type bleeders and you pump the pedal [one way flow].

These:
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

These are nice... but only when you're alone and STILL following manufacturer's bleeding procedure/sequence. Like others have said, doing all at once will definitely send more fluid to certain wheels, therefore taking more fluid than necessary to complete. I don't see an issue with it, but if you have speedbleeders or more than one person, why not do it right so all wheels receive equal fluid? I'd be worried the lack of force for the "weak" lines won't be enough to push all the old fluid out... Maybe that's just my OCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back